WW -- Accurate 50-488M

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
accuratemold50-488.jpg

IMG_3417.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_3418.JPG

52Bore (Rick) made/sent these bullets. It is my understanding Accurate altered the factory mold so it could to accept the plug Rick made, to create the hollow point.

IMG_3426.JPG

The distance between the rifle, and the horse is 25 yard. The powder charge is 50 grain Blackhorn.

IMG_3428.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG

The bullet was caught by the fourth bottle. The "petals" were found on the ground beside the horse. The fifth, and sixth bottle were undamaged.

IMG_3433.JPG

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3432.JPG

Thanks Ron. Just realized that I did not send wads to you for testing..
This one I thought the pieces would sheer off in large pieces... Not surprised the base (being harder) penetrated one more jug vs the pure lead. Again, at this velocity, this is occurring at 200 yards or so.

Considering one can obtain WW for nearly nothing, that's what is interesting with results like this.
Now, I wonder if large pedals are better/worse than smaller ones?

Again, Thanks for testing.

ronlaughlin said:
This bullet kinda intrigues me. A poor man's fracturing bullet. Turns garbage lead into a lethal hunting bullet........

My thoughts too.....interesting

When I cast some more, I'll send you some. I have not shot it yet, probably OK- I'm not expecting anything special with accuracy.

Ron L: took this bullet to the range..
85gr Swiss BP clocked right at 1400fps. No evidence of bullet yall - looked head on with a nice clean holes.

35grW BH209 - your test:

Based on MV and your test. Looks like your test results are at 225 yards.
Used a BC of 0.25

Attachments

• Elk teeth 50.jpg
    Elk teeth 50.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 288
  • Elk teeth 35gr 1040.jpg
    Elk teeth 35gr 1040.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 290
  • Elk teeth data.jpg
    Elk teeth data.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 289
Rick, Good shootin! :yeah: Is 50-488M a bullet you designed through Accurate? I know you did the Hollow point here. I just recently bought this mold in Steel, i went with all bands the same Diameter instead of tapered. I haven’t tried it yet, hope to soon though, And sure hope i get accuracy like you did here! This will mainly be used in my Stainless .50 Green Mountain LRH barrel, which happens to be the most finicky barrel i own. I will try this bullet in my TC Scout Carbine 1:20 Twist as well.

Is there an actual name for inset Lube Grooves like this one, Vs the Exterior Band bullets? Hope that makes sense? After shooting a similar bullet to this one in my .45 Cal and having really good luck with it I decided to try this one in .50 Cal, i like the idea of the Bearing surface being the actual bullet itself, Instead of the Bearing surface being Exterior bands like most Muzzleloader bullets. School me here!

When I ground a cutter to make the nose shape & HP for the mold for my Knight 45 1:30 a few years ago, I ended up making molds for my 52 & 50cals with the same cutter.
Then I sent Accurate my dimensions to reproduce:
45-348
50-488
52-545
Accurate weights are as a solid.
I only did the taper on the Accurate molds (not mine) so the top and middle bands could be sized, leaving the base band (base of bullet) pretty much undisturbed, or less disturbed. I've also found my casting pure lead seems to yield a bullet a thou or 2 larger than Tom's mold dimensions, not a problem to me as I size after lube (this also removes a lot of the excess lube).

I like the looks of the ojive tangent to the top band (no line or shoulder), that's how I made my molds and Accurate copied.

I do not know what you are describing with the inset grooves vs bands? To me these are all Grease Groove bullets.

Attachments

• 45 50 52 HP.JPG
    45 50 52 HP.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 199
This 50-488M is a SHOOTER in my .50 Cal Green Mountain LRH barrel, I just shot it today. This will be my Elk hunting Bullet.

This is what i am referring to when i say Exterior Bands vs Inset Grooves, I just didn’t know if there was a Specific Name for it?

Bullet on the Left is my Accurate Molds Copy of Dan’s Bullshop .504~460, It has Exterior Bands (Most True Muzzleloader Bullets do). Bullet on the Right is my new 50-488M, it has inset Lube Grooves. The Bearing surface (contact with riflings) of the bullet on the Left would be the Exterior Bands, Where as the Bearing surface of this new 50-488M on the Right is the Actual bullet itself
vJR8fLe.jpg

Lewis: I could locate the post “ACGould didn’t create the Gould bullet” on this site. I not only referenced some history about Ideal/Lyman but posted some original molds.
I can’t recall seening an original brass Brtiish express mold that had a nose like you reference on the left.
I believe the bullet on the left is nothing more than a GG mold with a reduced diameter nose.

I can almost see the bullet on the left being a cartridge bullet - reduced nose for lead into throat of chamber.

Latest posts

Back