Wyoming Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaybe44

Reaction score
This hunt took place in October, but since I just came back to this board, thought I'd share it with you.
It was my 4th trip to Wyoming from Michigan with my buddy, Steve to hunt for Mule Deer. We hunt BLM land NE of Casper in an area that has a combination of open grassland, canyons and their associated draws, and patches of Mountain Mahogany, This picture is a good representation of where we spend our hunting hours.
DSCF0061.jpg

In it you can see all three types of terrain.

The Mule Deer are usually found in and around the canyons, and especially among the Mahogany, which appears to make up a large part of their diet.

Opening morning we had been walking through mahogany next to a small canyon when we spotted a doe and a buck feeding about 600 yards away. Our plan was that I would slip over to some Mahogany and work my way through it to get closer for a shot. Steve was going to circle around ahead in case they went that way. As it turned out, I moved some deer out of the Mahogany I was in right out into the open where he collected this 4x4 at about 80 yards.
336.jpg

We hunted the rest of the day, but didn't see any more bucks.

Late the next morning, we met some folks who just happened to be returning from a spot where their son shot his first buck by a rare stream of running water. They told us there were two more bucks still there - did I want them to take me there to get one? I did, so I hopped on their Ranger and about 20 minutes later had my buck - a 3x2.
340.jpg

As you can see, neither deer is large - they were both probably 1 1/2 years old. This area has never had trophy animals, and the past two winters have been brutal, so we were just glad to be able to enjoy the hunt and collect some venison.

Can't wait to go again next year.

Trophy's are nice but you ever ate horn soup? Even with salt its pretty nasty. Venison is and always will be the reason I hunt. If one of them happen to have an impressive set of head gear, more to me. I do admit one year, I had taken a couple deer in bow season so I was set for winter meat. So rifle season I let pass some small bucks waiting for one I knew was wandering my woods. Well I waited all season. Good thing I had stuffed the freezer before hand.

That is some pretty country. And it looks like you had a great time. So with the deer you scored and the excellent memories you made, I would say you had a great hunting experience. Congratulations on the deer. How does mule deer compare with whitetail in taste?

Excellent shooting. I was in Wyoming for November but just passing through, more or less. I was really impressed by what I saw and could see myself moving there.

That gets me fired up. I'm headed to Wyoming this fall for my first western trip. We are hunting antelope near Douglas, and will be applying for mule deer. If we don't get drawn for deer, we will probably head to Idaho for over the counter mulies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back