XTP vs. XTP mag?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadeye ruck

Reaction score
I read on Randy Wakemen's website to steer clear of the XTP magnums. Why is this? I understand that the magnums are made for the .454 Cassull and are a little harder but it seems like this would be a good thing when pushed at ML-II velocities. How does the XTP mag compare to the regular XTP in your experience? Is there really any big difference?

There is a huge difference IMO.The mag version will blow right through deer sized game and not open up properly unless you hit hard bone.On the other hand the non-mag XTP performs beautifully on deer.I have shot over 60 head of deer with the non-mag and it works.I have tried the mag version and did not care for it.Sparse blood trails if any.45 hole in and out.Also there is a slight edge to accuracy as well.

I got no bullet expansion on the 2 deer I shot, and eventually recovered, with the 300g XTP/MAGs. The 300g(and 250 also)regular, expanded nicely,etc.

big6x6 said:
I've used the 240gr .451 Mags... Good bullet IMO..
You did not have ignition problems?How fast did you have them traveling?

Tar-12 said:
big6x6 said:
I've used the 240gr .451 Mags... Good bullet IMO..
You did not have ignition problems?How fast did you have them traveling?

2100fps or so... No ignition problems because I used them in a T/C Omega with Triple Se7en... Are they prone to ignition problems in the 10ML-II?

I thought that you had all ready shot them in the Savage.I was just wondering if the relatively light weight of the bullet would make it prone to ignition problems in the 10ML.

Tar-12 said:
I thought that you had all ready shot them in the Savage.I was just wondering if the relatively light weight of the bullet would make it prone to ignition problems in the 10ML.

I DID quickly shoot 5 or 6 thru a 10ML-II with N-110...no ignition problems but they weren't accurate with that particular load..

Latest posts

Back