Yet another new guy to muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71ragtop

Reaction score
Just spent the cash and got the TC FX my plan is 84 grains measured by weight BH 209 250 grain shockwaves and CCI 209M primers. Where do you suggest being dead on 100 or 150.
DSC051021.jpg

Congrats on the new rig! Looks like you put a quality scope on it right away too, smart man. I almost always sight in an inch and a half high at 100 and that puts you almost dead on at 150. Welcome to the forums.

Nice gun!!! And welcome to the forum!

120 grains of BH (84 by weight) should really reach out. What kind of terrain are you hunting? Mostly woods or possible long shots in fields? I have a Knight Long Range Hunter set up for 200 yards and settled at 110 grains of BH (77 by weight) and it is very close to dead on at 150 with Scorpion PT Gold 300s.

Have you tried different amounts of powder to see what your gun likes and groups the best with?

Welcome to the forum and a very nice set up.

As for sight in distance, that would depend on where and how I hunt. For instance, where I live, I often sight my rifle in at 50 yards. But in my woods, that is a long shot. If I lived on the plains.. I might well expect a 200 yards shot, so I would sight in much different to match my expectations. Also does your scope have a BDC? This would effect my sight in distance.

So good luck with that rig. Its a dandy!

smyrnagc said:
Nice gun!!! And welcome to the forum!

120 grains of BH (84 by weight) should really reach out. What kind of terrain are you hunting? Mostly woods or possible long shots in fields? I have a Knight Long Range Hunter set up for 200 yards and settled at 110 grains of BH (77 by weight) and it is very close to dead on at 150 with Scorpion PT Gold 300s.

Have you tried different amounts of powder to see what your gun likes and groups the best with?
Thanks everyone for the welcome don't know what BDC is but here is the scope I'm using it came mounted and bore sighted
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/382144 ... icle-matte

Welcome and what a nice looking set up.

You'll love that U-Slam scope. My advise would be that the max load is not always the best load. Perhaps 120 by Vol of BH 209 is the ticket for your gun, sabot, bullet combo? Usually not.

Be flexible and try different loads as you still have plenty of power with far less powder. Plus, it cost less to shoot and is easier on the shooter. Once I find the most accurate load I go to Handloads.com and run the ballistics for the load I developed and hunt with a plan.

To answer your question, I sight in 2" high but I hunt the prairies of KS.

Nice setup. I really like how you picked out your load before firing a shot. Why not shoot a range of powder charges and see what shoots best for you?

AJ said:
Nice setup. I really like how you picked out your load before firing a shot. Why not shoot a range of powder charges and see what shoots best for you?

Whats a good starting # as I said I am a newbie to ML but would like it to be my go to gun for Whitetail can't wait till next year already.

Real nice set up....normally I try to dial in a new ML 1" to 1 1/2" at 100 yards. I work up the powder weight by starting at the low range and gradually increasing the weight. You may want to start out at 80 to 90grs of powder and then increase until you get your best groups. You may find that your gun doesn't like the max loads.
Good Luck!

I know a ton of people with the FX and they really like the rifle. Congrats.

The Encore platform rifles all shoot 100grs volume to 110grs volume of BH209 excellent. If your intent is to shoot BH209, make sure you keep a 1/8" drill bit handy to clean out the flash channel. Do it by hand. Use Hoppe's for clean up and not water. You're going to like your new rifle.

When I first got my Omega (very similar barrel to the Encore) I started with 80 grains (volume) of BH209 and worked my way up. Seemed the sweet spot for me with just about all the saboted bullets I used was 110 grains. This is one of the more common loads for TCs using BH209 but you should check your own rifle.

As has been already noted, the max powder load is not always (and usually isn't) the most accurate load to use.

Welcome to the forum , An for sight-in I like 11/2 high at a 100 yards when using the 250GR bullet.

71ragtop said:
Just spent the cash and got the TC FX my plan is 84 grains measured by weight BH 209 250 grain shockwaves and CCI 209M primers. Where do you suggest being dead on 100 or 150.
]

That Load should be getting you 2150 FPS.

A 2inch high sight in at 100 should drop right in at 150 and probably 6-8 inches low at 200 yards but those are rough guidlines. MLs with any loads have to be range tested for drops to be known.

Just noticed Your Scope is the Ultimate Slam. Its sort of got a mind of its own with all those dots and such. Your probably going to have to experiment around with it to see where all those dots are hitting at. I would probably site in dead on at 100 and see what happens with the rest of the dots and adjust accordingly.

If I may offer up a suggestion.

I recently discovered MAX Muzzleloader. He has DVD's and Data Books for the Encore. I bought his DVD and Data Book for the Omega. For me, it was money well spent.

Not trying to down play the folks on this site. There is a ton of knowledge here. I've learned a bunch from many, especially cayuga. Dave knows his stuff and is very free with sharing it.

Here are the links:

http://www.maxmuzzleloader.com/productsDVDmaxmuzzy.html

http://www.maxmuzzleloader.com/products ... Books.html

Hope this might help.

Paul

Latest posts

Back