Young People vs. Old People: what they tend to be knowledgeable about?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
I have watched some of the newer YouTube videos of the newer generation of people that purchase Storage Lockers at auction as a possible means of finding things of value that can be re-sold for a profit.

It's amazing how ignorant of history the ones that are less than 30-35 years old are. Their knowledge base tends to be quite deep when it comes to anything technology/computer/games/comics/game cards/trading cards/toys/tennis shoes are concerned.

Where these young people seem to fall very short is with knowledge of anything that, in general, pre-dates their birth.

I have seen them completely dismiss many different types of items as potentially having any value to them, simply because they were ignorant of the possibilities.

I fully understand that there must be some kind of a triage process to keep from suffering from information overload when confronted with a stuffed to the rafters storage unit.

At the same time, if I was in their position, I would want to have a far more open mind to the seemingly endless items that these people have found, that others will pay good money for.

Anyone, who think they know it all, have a lot to learn...... Zen Master say, To the beginner the opportunities are almost unlimited, but to the expert or the know it all, the opportunities are extreamly limited

Last edited:
What I see with many of the younger people is the need for instant gratification, thank you computers. Laziness is yet another issue. What I have learned in my 71 years is that nothing good comes without application. Skills and knowledge are the result of putting the time in and then staying on top of them by continually learning. Nowhere is this more apparent than at the range or in the field hunting and fishing or while maintaining cars, trucks and other toys that help in daily life.

Much of the problem is that younger folks have put themselves in positions where they have to work more and have far less free time. I see plenty at the range that take a new gun from the box assuming it's accurate from the maker then fire ten shots to confirm the minute of basketball at 50 yards accuracy and consider it hunt ready. Way too many can read for months on a topic of interest but fail to apply what they've read because they are either too lazy or they figure it does not apply to them. Many like to kill themselves dragging crap in the field that they've read they should have along on a hunt when in fact half of what they're dragging is useless. Scent-less clothing is a prime example and its hard to convince some young people that one still has to breathe and the breath carries far more tattle-tale smells than that average clean bodied person so you cannot cover the mouth and nose.

Some young people really listen and apply what they've learned and those are the ones I'd welcome to hunt where I do. My wife's nephew is a moron and hunts with me because number one he's too lazy to find private land on his own and because he drags a mountain of un-needed crap up a mountain each way each day, wearing scent hiding clothes that are dripping with sweat even ion cold weather only to sit and suck on a vape smoke and play with his I watch. He's pretty good about shifting deer traffic to my benefit even if he's totally in the dark about doing it.

SOME THOUGHTFUL QUOTES

“a lot of time is wasted on youth” G.B. Shaw supposedly

“The young are too immature to really appreciate being young and the older generation would really know how to appreciate and take advantage of being young again.”

BUT,

“the time when you want to start is the most appropriate time”,

And from Mark Twain:
” Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.”

SOME THOUGHTFUL QUOTES

“a lot of time is wasted on youth” G.B. Shaw supposedly

“The young are too immature to really appreciate being young and the older generation would really know how to appreciate and take advantage of being young again.”

BUT,

“the time when you want to start is the most appropriate time”,

And from Mark Twain:
” Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.”
Luv the quotes.

I have watched some of the newer YouTube videos of the newer generation of people that purchase Storage Lockers at auction as a possible means of finding things of value that can be re-sold for a profit.

It's amazing how ignorant of history the ones that are less than 30-35 years old are. Their knowledge base tends to be quite deep when it comes to anything technology/computer/games/comics/game cards/trading cards/toys/tennis shoes are concerned.
The
Where these young people seem to fall very short is with knowledge of anything that, in general, pre-dates their birth.

I have seen them completely dismiss many different types of items as potentially having any value to them, simply because they were ignorant of the possibilities.

I fully understand that there must be some kind of a triage process to keep from suffering from information overload when confronted with a stuffed to the rafters storage unit.

At the same time, if I was in their position, I would want to have a far more open mind to the seemingly endless items that these people have found, that others will pay good money for.
Well I'm no ol fart. I was born in 1982.The internet is used for socializing as well as knowledge.We are socializing on a form we all joined seeking knowledge.We probably have a lot in common and will agree on most things.We came up in a face to face world, the good old firm hand shake ,eye contact respect. I remember not being able to move 5 ft from the wall because the phone was plugged in. when someone said meet me somewhere at 8:00 am you showed up.How about pulling over and asking people for directions. Here's a good one ,carrying quarters around for a pay phone. Make sure you have at least $0.75 because they tend to eat quarters. Then hoping somebody was home to receive your call .The truth is the internet is here. we have to adapt to it .it's an extremely powerful tool.(if asked the right questions). I remember when I was a kid .I did stupid stuff .kids nowadays are just kids doing stupid stuff . You just have the ability to post it , for all of God's green creation to see how stupid people really can be.The thing is to keep reminding the young who we are ,where we came from. so when they slow down later on in life enough to think past the next beer. they will pick up a fishing pole ,walk their child to the water's edge .sit down with the next generation and talk to them. Sharing with them, what it truly means to be an American. We can't control the future.We can only hope to guide it in the right direction. God bless

Being around youngsters helps to at least keep you feeling young. Hang around old people, all you hear is what ailments you share. We know how to fix stuff, they know how to find a new one online. Some wouldn't know which end of a paintbrush to dip with, I wish I could still climb a ladder to paint.

Young guys want to date a prom queen. Old guys, if they were young again, would date the girl whose father owns a cabin in Alaska. Young guys want to marry a good-looker. Old guys know to look at her mother ....that's what she'll turn out to be.

Youth is wasted on the young.

From my perspective, youth never changes...and neither does aged experience. I find the youth of today more resistant to learning the wisdom of the ages than I and my peers were 45-50 years ago. I'm not going to go into all the cause and effect possibilities. In my day processes were much more protracted. We had to figure stuff out on our own...we had to learn how to overcome. We fixed stuff that today's youth would just throw away. Perhaps it comes down to a perceived wealth of resources by today's youth...even though by my standards, much if it is Chinese junk. We had good, American made goods to work with. Stuff you could fix. I think the difference between older and younger is we were inventive by necessity. They look for someone else to invent something new ready made for them.

Being around youngsters helps to at least keep you feeling young. Hang around old people, all you hear is what ailments you share. We know how to fix stuff, they know how to find a new one online. Some wouldn't know which end of a paintbrush to dip with, I wish I could still climb a ladder to paint.

Young guys want to date a prom queen. Old guys, if they were young again, would date the girl whose father owns a cabin in Alaska. Young guys want to marry a good-looker. Old guys know to look at her mother ....that's what she'll turn out to be.

Youth is wasted on the young.
I couldnt agree more with the line "would date the girl whose father owns a cabin in Alaska"

I rather date the girl who already knows how to hunt, isn't afraid to gut & dress her own kills, drives a PU truck, gets the permit to harvest firewood from the National Forest Service, and with two of her girlfriends takes chainsaws, splitting mauls, and wedges out to bring home three PU truck loads of firewood. And, can still be feminine, shoots a mean game of 8-ball, and beats 50% of the guys that challenge her at arm wrestling.

Old guys know what a tattoo looks like in 30 years. Only those who read "National Geographic" know what those ear lobe holes will be later on. Two more things to make you unemployable. "The bigger the gauge, the lower the wage."

We also know not to engage in a bar fight wearing flip-flops, nor to walk in a dog park barefooted. Some things require knowledge beyond " Google".

No but they have a timeshare in Orlando. The exact same thing :rolleyes:
Time shares are a wonderful thing. My sister and her partner had shares in Cancun, Mexico; I think it was Boca Raton, Florida; and some place out West at one of the fancy get-a-way resorts, maybe Jackson Hole, Wyoming. At the height of her earnings they were vacationing 4 times per year, and living high on the hog. Must have been nice.

Old bull and young bull at the top of a hill. Young bull says, "Look at them heifers down in that valley. Let's jump over the fence, run down there and try to get one!" The old bull says, "No, let's crawl under the fence, walk down there, and get 'em all."
A matter of priorities and experience.

When I was young, I learned the same lessons at school, church, and home. Kids today don't go to church, are taught at school that their parents are bigots and not to listen to them, and their moms work. They learn their values from YouTube. We're losing a lot of what made America great. Vote in your school board elections!

No one reads anything anymore, newspapers are going out of business. There is no longer any reading material in medical waiting rooms, everyone sits around fiddling with those large cell phones, peoples lives revolve around the things.

People who never read anything are subject to being manipulated, used and abused and brainwashed.

i'm a product of a late 40s-early 50s one room school house. By the third grade i was reading at 6th grade level. The school had a small library, i read nearly everything there. Read Mein Kamph in the fifth grade. Got off my butt at age 45 and went to college between overseas jobs. Got my BBA in 1988 and MBA in 1997. At age 82 i'm still a book worm.

i've managed to outlive most of my friends. Friends and acquaintances 20 years younger than myself are sitting on their fat butts, watching NFL games, whining about political trash, crapping and waiting to croak.

i'm still good for 8-10 hours of hard work, it just takes a little longer to recuperate.

Yep, people whine about public schools. 70-90 percent refuse to vote in school board elections.

Last edited:
Back