Youth load update,and some opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makinsmoke

Reaction score
A few days back I asked about some youth load ideas for my little guy and his 50 cal knight LK 11.
Digging through my drawer of who knows what ( we all have one )., I came across 2 half boxes of 45 cal bullets for a 45 colt. The first is 225 grain ftx
( leverevolution ), and the second is 230 grain XTP. I tried them myself and not much penatration/blood trails.100 gr 777. Think with 70 gr 777 would work better ( lower velocity ) . He shoots them both very well, and which one ya'all think would be better ?
I feel like I just wrote a book...lol

I would go to 60 of 3f T7 ( 70 of 3f Swiss black) depending on barrel lenght, you should be getting about 1600 fps.
You could go to 40 gr of 3f T7 with the 230 gr. My daughter shoots a 240 gr Cheap Shot with that charge from her Traditions Tracker. 1350 fps.

With low velocity I would lean towards a hard cast Keith style bullet, 240-250 grain. Even under a 1000 FPS (think handgun velocity) you will get pass throughs and blood trails. And with that size of hole through the boiler room no animal is going very far.

The boy, and i both killed deer this year using the 250g Deep Curl 45 Colt bullet. Powder charge was 90g Blackhorn. Of the two bullet you have, i would lean toward the 225 ftx, and use less powder than we did. Our boy is 53, recoil isn't as much of an issue as it is for yours. The Deep Curl will work good if one uses less powder.

Back