Zeiss vs Leupold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
Ok I have seem some of you guys post about the Conquest and wanted to ask your opinions.

Isn't really for ML's but I figured you guys could help.

I am going to buy a 6.5-20 scope for my .338 win. mag. I plan on taking this sheep hunting in a few years and want a scope with the magnification to reach out there if needed.

I have narrowed it down to the Leupold Vari-X III or the Zeiss Conquest.

What do ya'll think?

Leupold Vari-X III or the Zeiss Conquest.

I own both in the 3-9/10 range...I prefer the Conquest, however that does add a few ounce that won't be appreciated when you reach the top of the mountain.. :lol:

elkstalkr said:

What do ya'll think?

The zeiss might be better then a Vari-X III?????? I doubt it. A Leupold VX-III Wins hands down. :wink:

Grouse said:
elkstalkr said:

What do ya'll think?

The zeiss might be better then a Vari-X III?????? I doubt it. A Leupold VX-III Wins hands down. :wink:

Why did I know you'd say that? :roll:

I have to admit I'm a Leupold man myself, got three of them already.

BUT was considering trying something else, thats why I posted.

Patrick White said:
Grouse said:
elkstalkr said:

What do ya'll think?

Warranty, sales, customer satisfaction, on down the line. It's by no means a Ford Chevy thing either. :p

Patrick White said:
Grouse said:
elkstalkr said:

What do ya'll think?

Really Patrick who would have thought it... :roll: ... I have both Zeiss and Leupold scopes and like both equally well. I quess my only observation is that you need to go to Luepold's higher end products to meet Zeiss's entry level scope.... Eye relief is a big deal for me and Ziess has some of the best in its class.

elkstalkr said:
I have to admit I'm a Leupold man myself, got three of them already.

There is nothing wrong with trying different things. I've been down that road already. I tried Sightrons SII, Bushnell 4200, Bushnell 3200, Tasco, Weaver. They just dont compare.

I have the Conquest 6.5-20X50 and the Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT on two of my varmint rifles. Both are SUPER scopes and I mean SUPER! MOST days I think the Leupold offers better resolution but some days I think the Conquest is brighter. The LRT offers a full 72 inches of w/e which is HUGE on a scope of this magnification. The Conquest offers 45 inches of w/e. The LRT is a 30mm tube where the Conquest is a 1 inch tube. They weigh about the same but the LRT is about an inch shorter than the Conquest. Based on it smaller stature, greater range of w/e adjustments, and at LEAST as good as if not better optics...I'd have to give the Leupold the nod...

varmintrifles%20007.jpg

varmintrifles%20002.jpg

Chuck, a side by side comparison is always factual..... Now its down to esthetics... and that is a personal choice...right? :wink: great work!

I own and use 6 Leupold Vari-X III's and 2 Zeiss Conquest's

Comparing Leupold Vari-X III 3.5 - 10 X 40mm with the Zeiss Conquest 3 - 9 X 40mm. I give the to the Zeiss for brightest and eue relief.

BTW, I have been a Leupold man for 23 years, but the Zeiss really impressed me. Can't comment on durability, because I have only owned the Zeiss's for a couple years.

Grouse said:
Warranty, sales, customer satisfaction, on down the line. It's by no means a Ford Chevy thing either. :p

There are companies with just as good warranty, sales, customer satisfaction, on down the line that you don't need to spend your house payment or more to get a good scope. :wink:

I am going to buy a 6.5-20 scope for my .338 win. mag. I plan on taking this sheep hunting in a few years and want a scope with the magnification to reach out there if needed.

PERSONALLY...I wouldn't want a 6.5-20 scope on a big game rifle, much less a rifle for a sheep hunt. I'd think any good quality 3-9/3-10 or similar would be the perfect scope. I'd think that WEIGHT would be your primary concern. The Leupold 3-9 Ultralight comes to mind. Less than 9 ounces and a great optics to boot! Most 6-20s weigh around 20 ounces...

Elk, If I remember right you are quite young (relatively speaking) So carring a huge scope will not be too much of a problem however they can get knocked out of alignment pretty easy crawling around mountains and why such a cannon for a little sheep (because they just feel good). I hear ya, Where do you plan on going sheep hunting?
Redclub

Here we go again ?
Chuck, great looking guns, but you are cheating. Conquest 6.5-20X50 and the Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT are from different ?weight? groups. :nono:
Even then buy a Conquest ? save $300.

big6x6 said:
PERSONALLY...I wouldn't want a 6.5-20 scope on a big game rifle, much less a rifle for a sheep hunt. I'd think any good quality 3-9/3-10 or similar would be the perfect scope. I'd think that WEIGHT would be your primary concern. The Leupold 3-9 Ultralight comes to mind. Less than 9 ounces and a great optics to boot! Most 6-20s weigh around 20 ounces...

Great point. Conquest 2.5-8X32 also will be great candidate for this role.
Unless he is planning long range (1000 yards) hunting. :huh?:
Is that what you planning to do, elkstalkr?

Patrick White said:

There are companies with just as good warranty, sales, customer satisfaction, on down the line that you don't need to spend your house payment or more to get a good scope. :wink:

Patrick, If that's what you think. "Fine" 8)

Grouse said:
Patrick White said:

Patrick, If that's what you think. "Fine" 8)

Agreed, Buy the best glass you can afford....

nugbuk said:
Here we go again ?
Chuck, great looking guns, but you are cheating. Conquest 6.5-20X50 and the Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT are from different ?weight? groups. :nono:
Even then buy a Conquest ? save $300.

big6x6 said:

Great point. Conquest 2.5-8X32 also will be great candidate for this role.
Unless he is planning long range (1000 yards) hunting. :huh?:
Is that what you planning to do, elkstalkr?

:roll: This will be my next scope!!! :wink:

Back