Zeiss vs Leupold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go again ?
Chuck, great looking guns, but you are cheating. Conquest 6.5-20X50 and the Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT are from different ?weight? groups.

?? :?: I'm not following you on this one Nug... Conquest weight is 21 ounces and the LRT is 21 ounces...

Even then buy a Conquest ? save $300.

Prices courtesy of bearbasin.com

VX-III 6.5-20X 50mm Target (30mm Tube) SF Matte (Fine Duplex) (Inc Target Knobs & Sun Shade) LEU55172
$799

Conquest 6.5-20X 50mm Matte (Plex) Side Focus& Trgt Knobs ZEI521450#20..no sunshade..
$869

Redclub said:
Elk, If I remember right you are quite young (relatively speaking) So carring a huge scope will not be too much of a problem however they can get knocked out of alignment pretty easy crawling around mountains and why such a cannon for a little sheep (because they just feel good). I hear ya, Where do you plan on going sheep hunting?
Redclub

Red,

In Colorado, so this will take a few years to get drawn. But you are right I am young, so eventually I will get my tag. Plus I am saving now, should have the money in 4 years. Then I'll just have to wait for the tag!

Little sheep? Live weight of a RM bighorn ram is about 300-350 lbs. Correct? I'm no sheep expert, could be wrong. Put that weight on a frame half the size of an elk. That is some solid mass!!!!

My .270 would do the job, but I purchased my .338 because of a bad experience elk hunting with my .270 So I plan on taking that cannon sheeping also.

Might change my mind between now and then though.

nugbuk,

I want to be able to take a 500 yard shot if needed. I don't think a 20X scope is overkill for that. Do you?

Granted I will need to start practicing NOW, thus the reason I am already looking for a scope that might be YEARS away.

Either Leupold or the Zeiss is a OUTSTANDING choice. Anything less and you'll get what you pay for. I feel that you should spend at LEAST the same for the optics as the rifle. :wink:

big6x6 said:
Here we go again ?
Chuck, great looking guns, but you are cheating. Conquest 6.5-20X50 and the Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT are from different ?weight? groups.

?? :?: I'm not following you on this one Nug... Conquest weight is 21 ounces and the LRT is 21 ounces...

Even then buy a Conquest ? save $300.

Prices courtesy of bearbasin.com

VX-III 6.5-20X 50mm Target (30mm Tube) SF Matte (Fine Duplex) (Inc Target Knobs & Sun Shade) LEU55172
$799

Conquest 6.5-20X 50mm Matte (Plex) Side Focus& Trgt Knobs ZEI521450#20..no sunshade..
$869

Sorry Chuck. My mistake. I was comparing this scope from (riflescopes.com):
Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope SWFA: $1,099.95
Read "weight" = level.

elkstalkr said:
nugbuk,

I want to be able to take a 500 yard shot if needed. I don't think a 20X scope is overkill for that. Do you?

Granted I will need to start practicing NOW, thus the reason I am already looking for a scope that might be YEARS away.

I do not know elkstalkr. I never shoot anything past 300yards. I think 3-9 will do the job in most distances but is you need more magnification 4-14 with a target knobs or TDS reticle may be just a ticket. Check out long range hunting forums. Personally I think that 338 may be a little overkill and will be hard to shoot accurate 500+ yards in hunting conditions, unless it weights 10-11++ lb. But then again I read that people go sheep hunting with 15lb guns.

Elk
I agree a 270 is a little light for elk. The 338 is a fine elk cartridge.
You already have the 338 use it for sheep or whatever.
Now getting a sheep tag in Co. is pretty tough. You will probably be older than me :lol: if you draw a tag. Non-Residents are not too lucky on those.
But what the H--- apply any way But save your dollars for Alaska. Build frequent flyer miles with charge cards etc. Hopefully my health will hold up so I can go up there.
Back to the scope You can shoot deer at 500 yards with a 5x .I know ,did that. As you know I am not a believer in large scopes,just me and a long, long time of hunting experience, not just range work
My feeling is if I have to pass up a 600 yard shot OK
If a animal is 20 yards and I can't get it in scope I would be real upset.
My preference is a Leo VX 1 3/4 X 6. You can shoot at any range,close-up or as far as the rifle will kill under hunting conditions. More than likely when they oppurtunity presents itself it can be quick so a prone or sitting position and being a little excited and windy, will be the norm, not shooting off a bench
with a range finder etc.
These are only my opinions though.
Redclub

I think that 338 may be a little overkill and will be hard to shoot accurate unless it weights 10-11++ lb.

A good friend of mine bought one for long-range shots and after two range sessions, two shots, and six stitches over his scope eye, the gun went back to the gun shop as a slightly used trade in...

IndianaHunter said:
I think that 338 may be a little overkill and will be hard to shoot accurate unless it weights 10-11++ lb.

A good friend of mine bought one for long-range shots and after two range sessions, two shots, and six stitches over his scope eye, the gun went back to the gun shop as a slightly used trade in...

What was that gun and wtat store it went to?

nugbuk said:
IndianaHunter said:

What was that gun and wtat store it went to?

.338 Remington Ultra Mag and somewhere in Corbin Kentucky.

Latest posts

Back