1st shots w/Optima V2 Pistol...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 19957

Reaction score
Having never shot BP before, it was quite the experience! More of a hard shove than a punch as far as recoil goes. Fired 5 rounds of Hornady 385 grain lead bullets with 50 grains of BH209 powder (CCI primers). All shots were completely hand held. The first two shots, at 7 yards, were on the boundary between the bullseye and the 10 ring, and were touching each other. I then sent the target all the way down to the end of the lane (25 yards), for the remaining 3. The 1st of those was in the 7 ring, then I went downhill from there. #4 was off target, but still on paper, #5 hit about 1/4" from the edge of the paper.

This gun is stupid accurate (even in my hands), and the trigger is very nice. Next time I'm going to try shooting it from a rest, and get the red/green dot sighted in a bit. Its fun! More of a deep sonorous BOOM! than my .303 Enfield which has a "sharper" BOOM if that makes any sense. This thing is a ton of fun - puts a stupid grin on my face with every shot!

I'm really glad I got one of those ball shaped bullet starters - I really had to hit the thing to get the bullets started, but once they slipped in the bbl, pushing them down the rest of the way wasn't bad - although I found out the hard way what happens if you forget to remove your spent primer before reloading: Air spring!

Sounds like a lot of fun! :yeah:

There has been at least one other thread recently on the Optima V2 pistol, and I remember nothing but praise about this ML pistol. I'd like to pick one up at some point to play with and mix in to the rotation during our early ML season.

You will get much better groups an consistency with a rest or shooting sticks. I'm using 80 gr. volume BH209 with a 300gr. XTP/crushrib sabot in my V2 pistol. Great groups at 25 an 50yds and 2"high at 100yds. Hope to kill something with it this season!

toytruck said:
You will get much better groups an consistency with a rest or shooting sticks. I'm using 80 gr. volume BH209 with a 300gr. XTP/crushrib sabot in my V2 pistol. Great groups at 25 an 50yds and 2"high at 100yds. Hope to kill something with it this season!
Go get'm Steve :yeah: Looking for some hero shots :D

Zorba said:
Having never shot BP before, it was quite the experience! More of a hard shove than a punch as far as recoil goes. Fired 5 rounds of Hornady 385 grain lead bullets with 50 grains of BH209 powder (CCI primers). All shots were completely hand held. The first two shots, at 7 yards, were on the boundary between the bullseye and the 10 ring, and were touching each other. I then sent the target all the way down to the end of the lane (25 yards), for the remaining 3. The 1st of those was in the 7 ring, then I went downhill from there. #4 was off target, but still on paper, #5 hit about 1/4" from the edge of the paper.

This gun is stupid accurate (even in my hands), and the trigger is very nice. Next time I'm going to try shooting it from a rest, and get the red/green dot sighted in a bit. Its fun! More of a deep sonorous BOOM! than my .303 Enfield which has a "sharper" BOOM if that makes any sense. This thing is a ton of fun - puts a stupid grin on my face with every shot!

I'm really glad I got one of those ball shaped bullet starters - I really had to hit the thing to get the bullets started, but once they slipped in the bbl, pushing them down the rest of the way wasn't bad - although I found out the hard way what happens if you forget to remove your spent primer before reloading: Air spring!

Sounds like you got the bug! Good luck with your new toy :D

Muzzle loading hand cannons are a ton of fun.I have a homemade one.It will put every round in a silver dollar size area.

toytruck said:
You will get much better groups an consistency with a rest or shooting sticks.

No question. That could really be said about any firearm, but definitely this one. Its a handful to hold! Next range trip I'll be using a rest and getting the red/green dot sight dialed in.

I would suggest you try a lighter bullet, 200-240 grain, specially for sighting in and practicing, I am comfortable with recoil, shooting 70 grn blkhorn and 200 grn bullet, one handed in mine. Very accurate combo out to 100 yds.

WV Hunter said:
toytruck said:
Go get'm Steve :yeah: Looking for some hero shots :D

I hear ya Mike!! :yeah: I messed up my left shoulder at the gym a week ago, the pain is just now starting to subside. Gotta take it easy as next saturday is first day of muzzleloader!! Whoever said getting older was great should be kicked in the pants!!

Well since this is a Optima V2 pistol topic I will give my thoughts on my pistol after the hunt. I took her out yesterday for the first time to hunt by herself. I had already put two deer in the freezer so felt safe in case something happened. I hunted with the pistol also this evening up till dark an end of legal shooting time. I quickly found out the small pistol scope was not gonna be good at all in letting in much light during dusk. When the magic hour arrived I couldn't make out any animal much less a deer if it was only 20 yds in front of me. I hunt on the ground using a ghost blind this year also for the first time.

I never saw a deer an thus no shot. I will keep this gun as it is very much fun to shoot and will most likely take her along for a backup weapon during muzzle loading seasons, but I won't be taking it out by itself anymore. I just don't feel comfortable with the 14" barrel an a shot past 50yds at dusk. I have lost deer I shot an never found and don't want to have that feeling again if I can help it.

I've been wanting to buy one of these pistols. I just got a Cva wolf at the beginning on rifle season and plan to use it through the rest of hunting season, trying to determine if I should sell my wolf to get this pistol but it is nice to have a few different ones to choose from. I love black powder. Cleaning isn't even that bad and easy to work with. I really look forward to more info on these. Thanks

Back