1:20 .45 Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a barrel only when they told me they were ordering 25. I asked why they didn't post on their site a 'Pre-Order' with a given end date - say Aug 1 or Sept.1. Then they would know how many to order (Pre-order with $ up front) and tell purchasers the lead time- maybe 8-10 weeks. etc...
I really don't need one, but want to compare vs their old ss ones - which we know there are many out there.
As for posting: I told them (Garry & Gordy) if they were NOT going to post anything about these on their own web site - I sure wasn't..

they seem to like doing small batch special production runs 10-25 rifles. How many guys here would be interested in a group buy 18 twist .45 cal Ultra lite? I'm betting 10 guys willing would be easy to gather.

I don't know who Garry and Gordy are. I got no hits on Google search. When I decided to look at Knightrifles.com, there's absolutely nothing that identifies who owns the company - where they are located...... nothing at all. Seems odd since so many retail product websites have a link for "About Us" on their frontpage.

Garry McKelvy
Shipping and Logistics Manager for Knight Rifle

Ive never talked to him before.

edmehlig said:
I would buy a Knight If they would come out with the 45cal in a 1-20" Twist!

I would probably sell whatever MLs needed to get a light weight 45 1-20. After hunting with my 5lb ULA and 6lb 54-120, all others seem like a chore to carry all day. My Pacnor 45 is a total pig by comparison but its wonderful to have that extra weight on the bench. I will have to live with my SuperDISC for now. It shoots to good to cry over a couple extra pounds.

edmehlig said:

If you or looking to buy 45 cal 1-20 just call knight tell them you what a 1-20 twist 45 cal mountaineer if there's any left they only had 25 to sale.

a1smokepole said:
edmehlig said:

If you or looking to buy 45 cal 1-20 just call knight tell them you what a 1-20 twist 45 cal mountaineer if there's any left they only had 25 to sale.

Actually they only had 10 for sale, the first 15 were contracted for a Knight dealer in the Midwest someplace. I believe that is the only reason Knight had them built in the first place.

sabotloader said:
a1smokepole said:
edmehlig said:

Actually they only had 10 for sale, the first 15 were contracted for a Knight dealer in the Midwest someplace. I believe that is the only reason Knight had them built in the first place.
Was that Sportsman Warehouse? If someone knew the dealer they might be able to get one from them

Wonder if they will do that with the Ultra-Lite? I know alot of folks would be happy about that.

Personally for me, I prefer the lighter more compact rifles. An Ultra-Lite is much more appealing to me than an extreme or mountaineer. Of course that is strictly based on the fact that I am a hunter first, target shooter second, and certainly not a competition or long range shooter at all. Maybe a bigger heavier rifle is preferred for that.

WV Hunter said:
Wonder if they will do that with the Ultra-Lite? I know alot of folks would be happy about that.

Personally for me, I prefer the lighter more compact rifles. An Ultra-Lite is much more appealing to me than an extreme or mountaineer. Of course that is strictly based on the fact that I am a hunter first, target shooter second, and certainly not a competition or long range shooter at all. Maybe a bigger heavier rifle is preferred for that.

Knight told me today they do NOT have an Ultra Lite in the works for a fast twist .45 caliber. He said they had 6 of the mountaineers left and that their reason for doing a small run of them was to test the market out.

I will have to give you a report on the new 1-20 mine came in today. have to see about new 1-20 v old 1-20 and see witch one shoots better. I like a heavy gun after having a SML the mountaineer not that heavy.

I suspect the mountaineer was built because many of the grease groove and paper patch guys shoot500 plus grain bullets .
I believe miller custom knives purchased the 15 .
From nappanee,IN

bestill said:
I suspect the mountaineer was built because many of the grease groove and paper patch guys shoot500 plus grain bullets .
I believe miller custom knives purchased the 15 .
From nappanee,IN

I believe you are correct about the dealer - Gordy told me but I really did not file it...

chaded said:
WV Hunter said:

Knight told me today they do NOT have an Ultra Lite in the works for a fast twist .45 caliber. He said they had 6 of the mountaineers left and that their reason for doing a small run of them was to test the market out.

So I wonder, is the Mountaineer their best selling rifle? Mountaineers are super nice rifles, but also the upper end as well. I don't know what rifles they sell the most of, seems like it would probably be the Extreme - and if so, that would be a better model to use as a test.

I wonder how accurate a test of the market it is, when hardly anyone knows they are available? :huh?:

Of course I guess many folks that are interested in 1:20 probably aren't that concerned about a less expensive gun. Probably what Bestill said makes sense, the target guys with big lead want some weight and are likely spending alot more on their rifles having customs built.

Either way, I'm glad they did it - it may lead to having them in regular lineup in the future. Also its cool that a couple folks here got one, will be nice to hear how they shake out. :yeah:

Bestill what's to no the bore size of the new 1-20 mine is .451 L to L . it looks to be the same size as my old 1-20.

Latest posts

Back