1:20 .45 Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a1smokepole said:
Bestill what's to no the bore size of the new 1-20 mine is .451 L to L . it looks to be the same size as my old 1-20.

It should take the Parker BEs from package to bore then. My Original 45 is tight, slightly under .450

52 bore shoots a stock 1-20 bore Knight .45. You can use any barrel in 1-20 or 1-18 .45. I used a .45 Knight Disc Extreme, with 1-18 twist. I bought it from one of the original Knight Team members. You can compete with sabots if you have it working right. You don't always have to have speed to be accurate.

I think we all know what must be done, we need a group of at least 15 with cash in hand wanting an Ultra Light .45 cal. 1:20. That way Knight would order up 25 and it would leave ten for the general public to buy up.

"Knight told me today they do NOT have an Ultra Lite in the works for a fast twist .45 caliber. He said they had 6 of the mountaineers left and that their reason for doing a small run of them was to test the market out."

Wonder how they get the word out to be able to satisfactory test the market out??

Damn, and I had a huge expense outflow this month. everything crapped at the same time, repairs and replacements coming out of the woodwork. 2 months ago I was debating a new custom smokeless build or order a swinglock. Now Im afraid to even order the mountaineer .45. I DID get a nice Nightforce scope 8-32. and I have a vortex 6.5-20. guess they will sit in their box for a while now.

Knight told me today they do NOT have an Ultra Lite in the works for a fast twist .45 caliber
they didnt have the 20 twist .45 either till someone ordered 15. Gives all kinds of wild notions on possibilities.... :twisted: :lol:

edmehlig said:
"Knight told me today they do NOT have an Ultra Lite in the works for a fast twist .45 caliber. He said they had 6 of the mountaineers left and that their reason for doing a small run of them was to test the market out."

Wonder how they get the word out to be able to satisfactory test the market out??

It really didn't make much sense to me when I got his reply. When I first contacted them I brought up the fact that I had heard they did a small run of fast twist mountaineers but not very many people knew about them. If you were going to test the market that method doesn't seem like it would accurately gauge the interest.

I was just wondering if they were ever planning to make a fast twist Ultra Lite is why I contacted them. When he replied he tried to sell me a mountaineer which I had already told him I had no interest in.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for fast twist 45 inlines. I seem to remember one well known writer talking trash about them only to go on and sing the praises of the Savage ML2 for having a faster (than the average) twist.

Currently it seems like the industry is consolidating in the now standard 1:28 50 caliber and with 45s disappearing from several manufacturer's lineups it's hard to see a resurgence of the caliber (in any twist rate) unless enough people get on board. This will ultimately require production runs of more than just 25 rifles. That's the #1 reason I bought my Mountaineer, this opportunity may not present itself again for a while if ever.

A Ultra-Lite 45 barrel will be about 0.4-0.5 lbs heavier that the current Ultra-lite 50cal.

For the sake of discussion since an ultra lite 45 barrel would likely be from a custom blank anyway I'm sure it could be fluted or contoured to offset the smaller bore.

Upper Hand:
Yes, you are correct. But, it seems each model has its own specific exterior contour. Just estimated the weight based off the current UL.

I dont think the contour changes its the same barrel just heavier so it all goes into the same stock. on the same models with different barrel offerings. Is the .52 a larger barrel than the .50? the bore increase is really pretty minimal.
I still have the only mountaineer in .32 cal :poke: :D

Squeeze:
DISC, DISC Extreme and Mountaineers in the calibers I have (including a DE 52) all have a muzzle diameter of 0.850". The measurement with each at the rear barrel sight is 0.975"(this is 5" in front of the front scope base-figure I was far enough away from the action area). With only a few thou variance - so your thoughts about them all having the same barrel are correct.
But, the barrel lengths are different, +1" for the Mountaineer.

The UL is completely different, not only 24" bbl, but 0.750" at the muzzle and 0.965" at the 5" mark.

Talked to Knight today about some other stuff and found out there are 7 rifles left, apparently someone ordered a bunch and then backed out. If you're on the fence about buying one of these I'd order it now. Though I didn't ask I would bet they never make anymore let alone a fast 45 ultra lite, it would seem that despite the interest, demand in the form of sales hasn't met expectations.

They probably sell better if they advertised them and had them listed on web site. Hard to sell when only a few know they exist

bestill said:
They probably sell better if they advertised them and had them listed on web site. Hard to sell when only a few know they exist

Right. Makes no sense to me. :huh?:
They'd probably sell out in one day of they put them on the site.

Will be shooting mine next week just to check thing out and making scope adjustment. If knight don't let people no they have them for sale how will buy

While I agree the Knight could (and should) be more proactive in their advertising, I don't fault them for just putting the word out in a select few small circles... nobody here can really complain that they didn't know because having read this you know now and there are still a few left. Buy one, don't buy one..... just don't complain in 6 months that they should build one after they're gone.

Sorry if I come off as harsh but I seem to recall several folks posting disappointed that they missed out only to remain silent once someone revealed that there were still some left. Lots of us asked for it, they built it.....the simple fact that they didn't sell out immediately should serve as an indication that this probably won't be done again.

I do remember a lot of people saying they would buy one if they had one for sale.

I for one have said many times that knight should build a fast twist45 . So others would have a opportunity to have a true long range muzzleloader. But i didn't buy one since i already have2 fast twist45 knight.
If most muzzleloader shooters would try a properly setup 1-20 45 with rite load would never want to go back to a saboted 50 cal.
So i do believe knight could offer a fast twist 45 replacement barrel for bolt rifle and some proven load ballistics and range reports on there web site and dominate the muzzleloader sales.
Bullet choices are incredible from heavy paper patch or grease groove bullets to high b.c copper jacketed bullets to even40 cal in sabot.

Latest posts

Back