.32 caliber inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rangerod said:
My daughter has the .32 tomcat and loves the gun. Last fall I started hunting squirrels again with my .17 HMR. I hadn't done it in 30 years. It was a whole lot of fun. That's why I have a lot of interest in the .32 MZ. My brother-in-law has a great crock pot recipe for squirrels.

Squirrel hunting was my favorite hobby when I was a kid. Gave up the shotgun for them when I got a .22 and found it was much more fun. I still get to go a couple times a year when I go home to Ohio. The 22 was still fun, but first time out with my .32 and head shot my first squirrel out of a hickory and I was totally hooked. It was just so much more fun! :D 8) Just finished up the last I had in the Freezer. :(

And it takes quite a while to go through a pound of powder with a .32. Ive used a pound in a day with the .50s quite a few times. I can cast a lot of those little roundballs for very little lead. Old T shirts work good for patches, (with a .315 ball) and I can always find something for lube in the kitchen, or cleaning closet.

Squeeze,

You might have told me before but...Who's .315 mould do you have? I want to get one myself.

Texted today with muzzle-loader.com and apparently GM produced the .32 as a one time deal for Knight. Doesn't look at all like this will happen again. However Traditions has shown interest. Texted back what forum members said they would want in this gun. Will be interesting to see where this will go. Any thoughts welcome. :think:

rangerod said:
Texted today with muzzle-loader.com and apparently GM produced the .32 as a one time deal for Knight. Doesn't look at all like this will happen again. However Traditions has shown interest. Texted back what forum members said they would want in this gun. Will be interesting to see where this will go. Any thoughts welcome. :think:

Yeah... knew it was a one time deal. BUT, to me... GM can obviously produce the barrel pretty easily since they've already done it, and the Knight disc platform is std...most all the parts would work. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do, but what do I know. I wish Knight would just contract GM to make a run of 25 or something, like they did with the fast twist mountaineer. I'd figure out a way to come up with the money for one for sure. I bet they'd sell fast.

rangerod said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Traditions ever produced a BA. :?:
The lightning/EBolt series. Never actually saw one in person. There is a poster here that has one. Supposedly the barrel has a set screw that locks it in but not sure if the barrel is threaded or just slips into the action. The E-Bolt was 209. I have looked off an on at GB to see If I could find one cheap to use.

I am watching this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =549595125

Brad Watts from muzzle-loader.com would like to join this conversation. I thought this would be a good idea for him to talk directly to other forum members. If this is somehow against forum rules someone please pm me. :think:

rangerod said:
Brad Watts from muzzle-loader.com would like to join this conversation. I thought this would be a good idea for him to talk directly to other forum members. If this is somehow against forum rules someone please pm me. :think:

Why not? I know folks from other companies plug in now and then. Its an open forum and as long as someone is not pimping their wares outside of what is allowed on this forum...I'm sure anyone would be welcomed. I personally think that the more folks out in the marketplace hear from shooters/consumers like the people here... the better. :yeah:

After talking with rangerod quite a bit about a .32 caliber inline, it appears that there is quite a bit of demand. From my standpoint, I know that we would certainly be open to working with a manufacturer to produce one of these guns, if we can nail down some details.

My first overall question would be concerning the bolt action versus break action. With many of the modern inlines going to a break action setup, it opens up our options quite a bit concerning pricing and availability of a potential build. I would really like to know, out of the forum members who would purchase a .32 caliber inline, who would only buy a bolt action or break action, and who would prefer one or the other but would buy either option.

As far as stock configuration, I would like to know if there is a strong preference to a camo or black synthetic stock. Wood may be an option, however wood stocks are generally significantly more expensive. If cost is less of an issue, we can get more creative with the stocks.

I know there has been some discussion about octagon barrels, but I would like to know if that is a sticking point, or if a round barrel would be something worth looking at. Also, let me know if there is any preference in blued steel, cerakote, nitride, or stainless.

Price point? I know this can be a tricky subject to discuss, but with limited production runs like this, the price would be higher than a standard model. I would like to know the ceiling for the price, in most people's budgets. My opinion would be to find a way to create the optimal combination with a retail price of under $500, but we could probably get that cost down depending on what platform the gun is built on.

In my mind, a Traditions Pursuit platform with a .32 caliber barrel could be a great option for production and for overall cost. I know that some have preferred bolt actions, so the main purpose of this posting is to find out what exact preferences each person has, and to see if we can come up with a finished product that everyone will like.

Thank you all for your insight, and I will do my best to get the ball rolling on this custom run. Let me know if there are any other particular features that this gun should have as well. Also, you can all feel free to contact me through my email at [email protected]

For me... the holy grail would be the GM (style) gun... but it doesn't sound like GM / Knight are open to it. That is such a sweet rifle in pretty much every aspect. I am a Knight fan and have quite a few, so maybe I am biased. I do like the bolt action.

The main thing for me personally... to me the .32 needs to be lightweight. Like real light if possible. For hunting...its a squirrel gun. I'm not interested in toting a 9-10lb rifle through the squirrel woods. I don't know much about Traditions other than what I hear... maybe their ultralight platform would be good. 1:30 twist seems to be ideal... I'm sure others that have .32's can speak more to that. I like stainless...but that is personal preference. I prefer to have a scope capable rifle.

How much interest is there big picture? Who knows. Quite a bit on forums, but that is probably a small sampling. But I bet there is more than people think, considering people are spending a good deal of $ to have custom .32's built. And there are a ton of squirrel hunters out there that may be all over something like a .32 inline...if one was available. I agree, the price point would have to be under $500 to generate much by way of sales... of course the GM style gun which is upper end, could certainly fetch more.

Thanks for asking :yeah:

I have always been a fan of the break action gun. A BA would be fine. I certainly would not say no to the break action. One thing I've noticed since I've been on the forum. A lot of shooters give up on other weapons once they start to mz with exception being archery. That's me 100 percent. As far as the stock something light like Kevlar would be great. Question. What is Traditions light weight model? :?:

I like the looks of the Pursuit G4 in Nitride at just 5.75 lbs. Obviously with a.32 cal it would be a little heavier. But you could maybe go with a shorter barrel. Have you mentioned to Traditions the possibility of the bolt action?

muzzle_loader, First off Welcome to the Forum! Thanks for taking the time to visit and check out this thread and see what we are interested in. :yeah:

I am a bit on the picky side myself especially when it comes to rifle accuracy. So my comments are just my taste/thoughts. I am also one who has had a .32 custom built and want another but will be more picky how I do it, if I do it and not buy one from a custom run if it is done. So I am very interested in what you might be able to come up with

Like mentioned this .32 is a squirrel rifle, should be light weight (Under 6lb or less pre-scope a must), very accurate (Think head shots) and should carry like a great .22LR.

I personally do not really want a rifle with an alloy frame. I prefer a good Steel/Stainless frame, I personally think that would make the action stiffer over the long haul and that would help accuracy. I have tried some Break actions in other rifles and just never liked them. I had issues with either the Hinge or the barrel lock up causing accuracy issues, so that would always be a concern. Again just my preference.

I am looking at the Traditions Lightning Bolt action for a build. It looks to be slim and light weight and can be #11 or 209 capable. Not sure yet if it is Steel or Alloy, I suspect it is steel. Don't know if Traditions has a Bolt Action option now.

I also am much more interested in a bolt action, second choice would be an action similar to the TC Omega (Still a one piece stock). Third choice is a plunger action. Break actions tend to have a "Long Feel" to me (Distance from Forend to wrist) and just not comfortable for me.

While wood is great, I agree that a composite would be great for 2 reasons, durability and more importantly keep weight down. A good composite can be as much as wood in cost. It should not be a cheap Tupperware stock that is too flexible as it would ruin accuracy. I think I would prefer just Black over camo. LOP no more than 13.5".

It should have a good trigger that is not too heavy (no more than 3lb), preferably adjustable, again goes to accuracy.

Barrel should have a twist of no more than 1 in 30 with a groove depth of .007 to .008 for Patched Round balls (No Sabots for this one). Round is fine with me. The Octagon just adds a little extra to the looks like wood. Barrel length between 22 and 24" no more (Again for Weight). Slim Contour for weight saving. Removable Breech plug, I am fine with one that needs a tool or socket to remove. Stainless or Blued fine with me but a Matte finish that will not easily chip of is good too.

Must be drilled and tapped for scope. I would not use iron sites (I remove them). Some might prefer them so should be available.

One big thing I would recommend is just not asking a MFG to take an off the shelf Production rifle and put a barrel with same contour (as .45 or.50cal) but a .32 bore on it. It would amaze you how much weight you just added to the rifle and can't compensate for with a light weight stock and a light weight "flexible" stock with that barrel config would be a disaster.

I am good with the MSRP of $500 or less but I am one that will go more for a Great Rifle.

Here is my first one. Plunger action. and done for under $500.

rangerod said:
Good post Shawn. Maybe this thing is going somewhere. :applause:
Thanks for trying to get someone interested in this! :yeah:

For me a good bolt action with 30 twist that is accurate and lightweight. I'm in.

If they had got GM interested in another run on the GMB .32 but with a 30 twist, I would go in hock for one in a heart beat right now! :roll: :wink:

I think that more guys that like to shoot MLs a lot like most of us would be interested in one. They are crazy fun, no recoil and Cheap to shoot so I bet they would always find a reason to take it to the range. They would also make a Fantastic First ML for Kids to learn on! :yeah: No recoil so nothing for the Young ones to be scared of then easily move up.

Muzzle-loader,

I was just checking out the Traditions site. They do still have one Bolt action listed, the Evolution. According to the Manual I just down loaded it appears that this is a new version of the Lightning and has a removable Barrel. This should make it an more ideal candidate for a .32 over the Pursuit in my opinion. Just need to make sure they would keep barrel contour down to keep it light weight. It is not a bad looking rifle.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/prod ... k-cerakote

Latest posts

Back