.32 caliber inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know it would be nice to go to the range somtimes and not have something kick you in the shoulder. I would love the .32 for squirrels. I actually think there's a pretty big market. If Knight came out with the GM .32 in a 1 in 30 twist it would be a huge seller. It might be asking to much for a manufacturer to build one from the ground up. Traditions Evolution does look like a good possibility.

rangerod said:
If Knight came out with the GM .32 in a 1 in 30 twist it would be a huge seller.

To play the Devil's advocate......Over the years scores of folks said repeatedly the Knight should make a new 1:20 45. Back around September I posted on this site that I had one of the limited edition Mountaineers and several posted how disappointed they were that they missed out. When it was revealed that they still had several to sell lots of those voices suddenly went silent. When asked there was always an excuse, I would if it were an Ultralight, they should have made it 1:18, ect. Should a manufacturer bring a .32 inline to market I fear something along the same lines would happen.

rangerod said:
You know it would be nice to go to the range somtimes and not have something kick you in the shoulder. I would love the .32 for squirrels. I actually think there's a pretty big market. If Knight came out with the GM .32 in a 1 in 30 twist it would be a huge seller. It might be asking to much for a manufacturer to build one from the ground up. Traditions Evolution does look like a good possibility.

I think it could be a great thing too. I am sure keeping the price down would help a lot. I think if the Marketing was done right it could really get a bunch more to get one. I think it would also be a great way to get kids into ML shooting. It's like any firearm, there are the guys that will only look at or afford the gun under say $400 and the guys that will only want the high end Rifles shotguns that are well over $1K.

I had so much fun hunting with mine last fall I almost felt like a kid with a .22 again. :D And it is a real joy to shoot at the range. Did I tell ya they are Cheap to shoot! :D With that 30 twist you can shoot a little round ball with a patch and only 15 to 20 grains of powder. 1 Pound of 3f or PyroP will last a long time at that rate! With a 48 twist you may have to use more powder to get it to shoot. With the lower charges you can use in the 30 twist your closer to a .22 in velocity so you don't tear up the squirrels as bad, so you got something for the dinner table. :D

Upper Hand said:
rangerod said:
If Knight came out with the GM .32 in a 1 in 30 twist it would be a huge seller.

To play the Devil's advocate......Over the years scores of folks said repeatedly the Knight should make a new 1:20 45. Back around September I posted on this site that I had one of the limited edition Mountaineers and several posted how disappointed they were that they missed out. When it was revealed that they still had several to sell lots of those voices suddenly went silent. When asked there was always an excuse, I would if it were an Ultralight, they should have made it 1:18, ect. Should a manufacturer bring a .32 inline to market I fear something along the same lines would happen.

You could be right. Some of us just like to be Different, and that can cost us more. :p

Guess that is why they offer some "Limited runs" to test the market.

I knew a lot of guys back home in Ohio when I was a kid that squirrel hunted with .32 TC's and CVA's, but Ohio always has lots of ML shooters too, at least it sure seemed like it.

Upper Hand said:
rangerod said:

I was one of those. At that time, I was on the short list for a target 500. I talked with them several times, first it was due in Sept, then soon, still testing...we want to include scope.....a fancy presentation case.... still in trials... After it was obvious that wasnt going to happen, I got my 20 twist Mountaineer. (my 5th mountaineer) and JUST after I picked up a 20 disc. :roll: Now Im waiting on base and rings.. and still hoping for that target 500... (a disc 18 twist heavy barrel) So, GM CAN easily make pretty much whatever. Im not sure what the real holdup is. But I still love my Knights, beautiful proprietary short throw action great shooters...

Its just sad the state of the manufactures these days. Its the same across the board. QC is out the window with most. Maybe its the singular blanket ownership.. At least the custom market is flourishing.

I don't think the situation with the .32 is at all comparable to the Mountaineer 45. I own all .50 cals and really have no reason to buy the .45. The .50 does everything I want it to do. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the .45 is a great gun. The .32 however would fill a niche that exists for a small game mz. I think there are people who would buy the inline .32 that are like me and have no interest in a sidelock.

Squeeze said:
Now Im waiting on base and rings.

On a side note, I got one of the Knight 20 MOA rails for my Mountaineer that was from the habitually delayed 500 program, it is a very nice piece.

I am interested. I prefer a bolt, but a plunger would be okay as well The rifle should be as light as possible and handle like a 22lr.

ShawnT said:
Muzzle-loader,

I was just checking out the Traditions site. They do still have one Bolt action listed, the Evolution. According to the Manual I just down loaded it appears that this is a new version of the Lightning and has a removable Barrel. This should make it an more ideal candidate for a .32 over the Pursuit in my opinion. Just need to make sure they would keep barrel contour down to keep it light weight. It is not a bad looking rifle.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/prod ... k-cerakote

Agree - that is a decent looking rifle....maybe you are right it might be a good candidate as well.

Well, an entry-level T/C Impact would probably be quite in-expensive to produce, would be very lightweight, certainly well under $500, user-friendly break-action, simple to clean, and shouldn't take much as to re-tooling for them to start the build.

alaska viking said:
Well, an entry-level T/C Impact would probably be quite in-expensive to produce, would be very lightweight, certainly well under $500, user-friendly break-action, simple to clean, and shouldn't take much as to re-tooling for them to start the build.

I'd say there is about zero chance of that. S&W (it seems) could care less about their ML's. Although in an what seems to be an odd move they did buy the Redemption and re-label it... not sure if or how that will end up being profitable. I'd like to see them bring back the Omega... great rifle.

If Traditions were to make an inline 32 my vote would be for a break action. Someone mentioned the Pursuit before, I would go so far as to suggest the Buckstalker. I say this because as they seem to shy away from tapered or fluted barrels, using anything with length to it will result in a very heavy rifle. Using a break action platform they could also design the barrels to drop right in to existing chassis meaning less .32 specific parts to make. I'd probably be interested in one either way.

Just reducing length on the barrel is not really going to reduce that much weight. It will help some with it being too muzzle heavy. If the contour is still the same as say the 50cal then you will still be left with a lot of steel left in that barrel. I have a .36cal Knight LK and the contour is the same as the 50 cal. the barrel is 21" long and with a little Weaver 3x9 it weights 8.4lb. That little rifle is like a bull barrel varmint rifle. In order to make them lighter they would have to step down the barrel just after the pivot (Like centerfire barrels for the Encore) and then make up a new forend. I don't see fluting the 50cal contour as being a good idea to eliminate weight as the flutes would be very deep and look odd. Even the bolt action would need a slimmer contour and to make it look right the forend of the stock would need slimmed down. If they can't make it a light rifle I don't see it selling well. Just my thoughts.

When you think of a small caliber gun you would think small and light. What a squirrel gun should be. If they can't build it light they may as well forget it. I would have to think any manufacturer would easily figure that out. I would have no problem with a break action if it were light and accurate.

That $500 price ballpark is probably one of the biggest hurdles. Anything will be done, small batch, test the waters type scenario. It would take a big name and most likely using an existing design repurposed to even come close, then its very hard to get the weight factor. Repurposed/cheap, means using as many available parts, unaltered to assemble at a price point. This means using existing forearms and barrel channels... heavy barrel...weight issues.
Probably one of the lightest designs would be a Mowry or H&A style underhammer (really an overall good gun, but nicknamed "the ugly rifle" people either love them or hate them. Pecatonica has them in kits, unfinished at $500 http://www.longrifles-pr.com/underhammer.shtml
(The problem here is, Im pretty sure your regulated to open sights)
Another option may be a boxlock type action, again, probably open sight only. Pecatonica has kits for these also http://www.longrifles-pr.com/allenboxlock.shtml
I still think, the Allen inline action, has to be on the short list for best candidate. But even there, your back around $500 in just parts and steel finish. If you want something out of the standard offerings, your only option is the custom build market, which equals more $$

Thank you all for all the opinions and information! This is proving to be very valuable, and I am going to work with Traditions to see if we can get a price on a run in the Evolution platform. I have seen a very high demand in the .32 caliber market, but there is a lot of homework left to do to find the right combination of inline that will have market appeal. I feel that the Evolution seems to be the most popular here, but I am going to have to see how the smaller barrel will affect the stock contour and availability. I agree that being lightweight is key on a gun like this, and I don't see why we can't come in below 5.5 lbs.

I will keep you all in the loop as I find out more information.

Just got off the phone with Traditions and there are a few questions that I didn't have answers to.

1. Preferred barrel length. 24" is what the Evolution is currently built on, but is there any preference on a difference barrel length?

2. Stock. Synthetic is much cheaper than wood, and could help keep the price point lower. What is the need/want?

3. Barrel Finish. There is the option of CeraKote in just about any color imaginable, however I would think some sort of grey would be best. The other option is a blued steel barrel.

Let me know thoughts on this, as we have another meeting for the end of this week.

Also, the big question is, if this gun were produced, who would actually purchase one just from the members on this forum? This helps us guage demand and build quantity, to help with pricing.

Latest posts

Back