.32 caliber inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rangerod said:
24 inch barrel,cerakote,synthetic stock,all looks good to me. 1 in 30 twist? Drilled and tapped? If so I'm definitely in.
I am pretty sure the Evolution Action (bolt action) is already drilled and tapped unless you mean for Iron sites.

muzzle-loader.....

and I don't see why we can't come in below 5.5 lbs

Like they way you think on the weight. :yeah:

22" to 24" good.

Synthetic stock, OK.

Cerakote ok. Grey is ok. They probably use it to sort of give a "Stainless Look"

My only other hold back is the twist. Must be a 1 in 30 or faster. I personally don't want the old standard 1 in 48.

As long as the twist is to my liking, I'm in too.

muzzle-loader said:
I feel that the Evolution seems to be the most popular here, but I am going to have to see how the smaller barrel will affect the stock contour and availability. I agree that being lightweight is key on a gun like this, and I don't see why we can't come in below 5.5 lbs.
I will keep you all in the loop as I find out more information.

I may be wrong, but Traditions would need to invest in a new stock Mould that would accommodate the barrel channel for the slimmer barrel contour and a slimmer forend. After that investment it would not be hard to turn out the stocks as the finishing part of the stock should be relatively the same. This should make the synthetic stock more economical in the long run.

Just thinking out load. :think:

muzzle-loader said:
Also, the big question is, if this gun were produced, who would actually purchase one just from the members on this forum? This helps us guage demand and build quantity, to help with pricing.

I'd be interested in a <$500 production .32 inline. Depending on how the rifle turns out I have a couple friends that would probably buy one too.

Lightweight
22-24" barrel - not longer
Drilled/Tapped for scope
1:30 twist or faster
Synthetic stock is ok, other options (walnut, lamnated, etc a plus)
Cerakote black or grey is ok, stainless would be a plus

I would figure out a way to get one assuming a suitable rifle became available for a fair price.

Just a few things, 1:30" twist or faster will indeed be available.

These guns will indeed be drilled and tapped for scopes, but will come from the factory with open sights installed.

The price point will definitely be under $500, and my goal is to get it down around the $400 mark.

More updates to come today or tomorrow...

Have you thought about the depth of the rifling? Shallow for shooting conicals and/or saboted bullets would be preference for me.

I have never owned a Traditions rifle, but if this happens, would be interested in buying one, if all the above suggestions are met.

there are no .32 sabots. And conicals are pretty much maxi balls. CF and many larger muzzleloader for sabot have .004-.005 rifling depth, and Patch roundball guns can go to ~.016 I have a couple of custom .32, and several factory sidelock style. I think ~.007-.008 is pretty much perfect. Its really predominantly a roundball shooter. I would almost definitely be interested in one or two.... depending on what surfaces

muzzle-loader said:
Just a few things, 1:30" twist or faster will indeed be available.

These guns will indeed be drilled and tapped for scopes, but will come from the factory with open sights installed.

The price point will definitely be under $500, and my goal is to get it down around the $400 mark.

More updates to come today or tomorrow...

Sounds Good so far. :yeah:

Muzzleloader,

Maybe you can check or comment on the current working of the New Evolution?

Until now I have never actually seen one of the Traditions Lightning/Thunderbolt/Evolution rifles. I was just going by info from their website or from another poster who sent me some pictures of his .50 cal from a few months ago. I had sort of assumed it was a regular bolt action. The second thing that was appealing was that the action and barrel were supposed to be 2 pieces.

I just acquired one, took delivery yesterday, (.45cal 1 in 20) and got to look the bolt over just a little while ago. Turns out these are in essence a Plunger/Striker type ignition. While it does have a bolt, the bolt body is more or less a tube in the front and has a "Striker" that has a small cone/dimple in it for the 209 primer. The 209 "nipple" is part of the BP and not separate at least in this one (209 Thunderbolt). So I would suspect that they will have a bit of blow back in them. In a 32 cal with only 10 to 25 grains of powder it might not be bad, if any, but who knows. Traditions did not really post much on these web site or manual to show how it works, I had downloaded a manual and it was not clear, but appears the same as this one, so this came as a little surprise to me. I have not fully figured out how the barrel is installed but there is a retainer set screw but it appears that the barrel is not threaded and possibly glued in, again not sure yet.

So since I was the one mentioning this action/rifle I thought I should post some info for the group to see.

Here is the End of the BP for the 209 primer. BP is removable with tool and looks like a rear sealing plug to me.

With the Bolt closed.

Bolt in cocked Position.

Bolt in Fired Position.

Shawn, I assume that you just put a bare primer in there by hand? What is that little coil spring thing? To hold the primer in?
Hard to tell from the pics exactly how that setup works. Next time you have it apart, can you take a pic of the BP out of the rifle? Curious...thx

Upper Hand said:
The coil of spring wire on the breech plug holds the primer in the plug.

I thought that might be the case. Have you ever used one of these rifles? I wonder how bad the blowback is? Obviously on a .32 with light loads it will be diminished substantially vs. a .50 with full loads.

Their bolt actions are ok for the price but they most certainly are not built at the quality level of a Knight. As Shawn pointed out, it is more of a plunger design than a bolt action. Earlier in this post I said that is Traditions was going to build a .32 inline my vote would be for a shorter barreled break action, I stand by that statement.

Back