44 Caliber 255g GT Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_4412.JPG

snapbang provided these bullets for attempted capture. One can see they are a hollow point cast bullet. They measure 0.430; figured they would be hard to load in the Omega, even using crush rib sabot. Turned out they were tight, but not too bad. Powder charge is 50 grain Blackhorn. Temperature through the catch was 33°. Elevation was about 5100'.

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

The distance from the rifle to the bottles (trap) was 25 yard. The 'trap' consists of in order,carpet sample, 3/8" plywood, 6 one gallon water bottles, and a phone book.

IMG_4405.JPG

IMG_4407.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG

The front bottle was flattened/demolished, the second bottle had the bottom blown out, the third bottle had hole in, and hole out. The bullet bounced off the fourth bottle, and was found on the ground about two feet to the right of the horse, and toward the front. Captured bullet weighs 249.9 grain.

IMG_4409.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

Last edited:
Wow Ron, that is a great report. My hunting buddy and I used these this year to kill 5 deer. They either drop on the spot or walk a few yards and tip over. Blood trails were massive if they did stumble a few yards. As far as shedding some weight im good with that. With that much weight its fine to have a few shards separate from the main bullet and leave their own wound channel. May be better for deer size than elk size game. We were not able to recover any bullets this year as they were all pass throughs. We are getting 1 1/2 inch groups with little experimenting and using MMP sabots. Nice thing is they are about $.18 each and that means I can do a lot of shooting. Thanks for an outstanding report.

Wow Ron, that is a great report. My hunting buddy and I used these this year to kill 5 deer. They either drop on the spot or walk a few yards and tip over. Blood trails were massive if they did stumble a few yards. As far as shedding some weight im good with that. With that much weight its fine to have a few shards separate from the main bullet and leave their own wound channel. May be better for deer size than elk size game. We were not able to recover any bullets this year as they were all pass throughs. We are getting 1 1/2 inch groups with little experimenting and using MMP sabots. Nice thing is they are about $.18 each and that means I can do a lot of shooting. Thanks for an outstanding report.
What powder charge were you hunting with?

...wish i could shed some weight...

We are each using 100g (V) T7. He uses pellets I use loose. I'm a reloader from way, way back so I like measuring my own. My chrony says 1807 fps with the 305g GT out of my 24" Wolf. I use the 305 weight and he the 255.

Michiganmuzzy. LOL I got that going on too.

Latest posts

Back