Aerolite 300 / Barnes 250MZ accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega451

Reaction score
I ran a few 100yd groups down the bore of the Pro Hunter w/ .50 Encore Bergara barrel today. I used one of Ron's homemade Grade 8 breech plugs with Lehigh vent liner, V1 plug. Charge was 110gr BH209 and ignition was Fed209A's. With a #60 o-ring in the primer pocket the Fed's come out clean. Zero hangfires or misfires. I was in a hurry and did not let the barrel cool too much between shots today. These are definitely two accurate bullets.
Aerolite.jpg

holy smokes, did the powerbelts actually group a bit tighter? LOL awesome shooting with both loads!

Here is the technical data according to my calipers.

Barnes 250MZ center to center .925
Aerolite 300 center to center 1.04

Barnes won today!

Nice shooting! Great to see some new data using those hot Federal Primers.

Nice shooting. Good to know also, had 2 doz. Barnes 250 MZ left from my Knight Disc Extreme. Hope they shoot in the Apex.

Try the MZ's in a Harvester smooth sabot if the supplied sabots do not group well. They run down the bore very nice, not too tight - not too loose.

Thanks for the tip. They were a bear to load in the Knight. I recently bought some parker hydra-cons, and some BE's both in 250 grain. Have just about all the supplies for a day at the range, but have to get some powerbelts, and place my order to Thor. I'm excited about it. Every time I pick the Apex up, I can't get over how good it feels. I really liked the feel of both the Encores I owned, but they were not shooting like yours. I wish at the time, I could have gotten a Bergara barrel for them, I might have kept them. When I do make my range session, I'm going to take lots of pics, and keep good notes. I live very rural, and could shoot in my back yard. But our sportsman club is 3 miles from the house, and I have a good 200 yd range. So when I get the supplies, and the right day, I'm going!

Hey Butch, keep me posted on the Parker bullets. Im going to let you be the guinea pig on those for me. Im spending too much on bullets and powder lately....LOL Hope you dont mind.

Smyers, your groups look alot like some of mine because I wasnt letting the barrel cool down more than 3 minutes also. Looks like shots one and two are stacked right on one another and then the 3rd shot flys an inch away and ruins the first 2 beautiful shots. Nice going tho. I like the AeroLites, like how easy they are to load and they shoot damn good. Im sticking with the Barnes for hunting tho and will allow the AeroLites to be used one full year by hunters and then I will read reviews and look at pics before I use them on game. Not willing to trade the proven Barnes reliability out yet.

I can't get past the expansion of the Barnes bullet. Even if the Barnes shot a slightly larger group it would still be my pick, but it doesn't. Accurate and a perfect expansion.

I'm not sure why any of us look at other bullets when we have the Barnes/Thor.

Snowsolo said:
Hey Butch, keep me posted on the Parker bullets. Im going to let you be the guinea pig on those for me. Im spending too much on bullets and powder lately....LOL Hope you dont mind.

Smyers, your groups look alot like some of mine because I wasnt letting the barrel cool down more than 3 minutes also. Looks like shots one and two are stacked right on one another and then the 3rd shot flys an inch away and ruins the first 2 beautiful shots. Nice going tho. I like the AeroLites, like how easy they are to load and they shoot damn good. Im sticking with the Barnes for hunting tho and will allow the AeroLites to be used one full year by hunters and then I will read reviews and look at pics before I use them on game. Not willing to trade the proven Barnes reliability out yet.

You don't even want to talk spending too much on bullets! I just spent $4 a piece for 10 turkey shells --- my wife is gonna kill me with one of them!

Nice shooting BTW. I love the first two shots overlap look. That is all I need from my Optima. If it will keep touching the first two, then I will not change anything.

Daman

Back