Any way to quietly close a CVA Optima V2?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt2003

Reaction score
Why does the CVA Optima require you to close the breech with a certain amount of pressure before you are able to set the trigger? Is there some way to quiet this process? I don't like the idea of having to make that much noise in the field if it's not necessary. Hoping you all have some answers. Seems like bad design...

I’m coming from a knight wolverine so there was virtually no noise with that. I guess it would only matter on a 2nd shot. Maybe it’s just because mine is new. If i don’t snapit together pretty briskly, the trigger won’t set. Maybe it will get better/easier/quieter with time.

Snapping closed is kind of required on most break style MLs, when you have head spacing where it’ll give you some primer crush to decrease blowback past it. If i take out my primer o-ring i can close my Accura quietly by holding the trigger(and the hammer) while closing. But then it is leaky, but it will lock, cock, and fire.

Mine only gets closed at the truck (TOO) ,never spooked game but then I keep a safe distance (like 10 yds ) for deer and squirrels (10 feet) cause death from above happens often when stalking the wily squirrel !/Ed

Mine only gets closed at the truck (TOO) ,never spooked game but then I keep a safe distance (like 10 yds ) for deer and squirrels (10 feet) cause death from above happens often when stalking the wily squirrel !/Ed
Yeah them squirrels got mean teeth!

Why does the CVA Optima require you to close the breech with a certain amount of pressure before you are able to set the trigger? Is there some way to quiet this process? I don't like the idea of having to make that much noise in the field if it's not necessary. Hoping you all have some answers. Seems like bad design...
I can open and close my accura with out slamming it. I can hold open the barrel release and close slowly and release the trigger guard and cock and fire the gun no problem you must have oring under primer on yours. I have my firing pin bushing shimmed about. 004 out from face to seal my blowby.

I put my primer in when I get in the stand depending on what stand I hunt. Just close it as quietly as you can. You always make noise when getting into the stand, just minimize it as best you can.

I put my primer in when I get in the stand depending on what stand I hunt. Just close it as quietly as you can. You always make noise when getting into the stand, just minimize it as best you can.
I put my primer in at parking spot and leave hammer down. Tree stand I pull gun with barrel pointed down.

To each their own. I have never been a fan of pulling a loaded gun up into the stand. I put the primer in and take it out in the stand if I have to pull it up or let it down.
Short of 3/8" link chain or 1/2" steel cable I don't trust anything enough to lift a loaded or primed gun to a stand. I don't carry a primed muzzy coming or going to the stand even as its generally pitch dark. Plenty of time to load and seat a primer or just seat the primer when I get in the stand. When I leave for the night, the primer is removed while still in the stand.

As for the original question, I have an Accura V2 and a couple Optima V2 rifles as well as Optima pistols and I don't have to slam the action shut on any of them.

Short of 3/8" link chain or 1/2" steel cable I don't trust anything enough to lift a loaded or primed gun to a stand. I don't carry a primed muzzy coming or going to the stand even as its generally pitch dark. Plenty of time to load and seat a primer or just seat the primer when I get in the stand. When I leave for the night, the primer is removed while still in the stand.

As for the original question, I have an Accura V2 and a couple Optima V2 rifles as well as Optima pistols and I don't have to slam the action shut on any of them.
I think the reason some people are having to slam the gun closed is because they have put a oring under the primer so they don't get blowback in the firing pin area. I had the same problem with blowback and then I got shims and adjusted the firing pin bushing out until I got .004 crush fit on my primers. A friend of mine had the same problem same gun he didn't shim out the firing pin bushing. He just used blue loctite and unscrewed the bushing about a full turn and let the locktite set up it hasn't moved at all. You will have to adjust it if you switch to different brands of primers.

Accura V2 50cal.

My optima closes hard due to using the o rings, horrible blow back with the fed 209a primers. I put a layer of wax on the action and that helped soften it and quiet the noise.

Where do I find these shim kits?

My optima closes hard due to using the o rings, horrible blow back with the fed 209a primers. I put a layer of wax on the action and that helped soften it and quiet the noise.

Where do I find these shim kits?
I got mine in 2016 from cva site but I don't see them any on there anymore. My buddy just used blue loctite . He took out the bushing and cleaned the carbon out of bushing and spring pin and oring seal. Put alot of loctite on threads screwed in all the way until it bottomed out and then out one turn. It hasn't moved since. And he's got no blowback into his firing pin. You need to make a custom screw driver bit for the bushing . I'll get a pitchure of the one I made

I got mine in 2016 from cva site but I don't see them any on there anymore. My buddy just used blue loctite . He took out the bushing and cleaned the carbon out of bushing and spring pin and oring seal. Put alot of loctite on threads screwed in all the way until it bottomed out and then out one turn. It hasn't moved since. And he's got no blowback into his firing pin. You need to make a custom screw driver bit for the bushing . I'll get a pitchure of the one I made

Attachments

• 20231002_134936.jpg
    20231002_134936.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I have all cva muzzleloader barrels on center fire actions and use the 1mm thick oring to seal up the blow by. What I do is pull the action release lever and slowly close the barrel then let go of the lever then bump under the barrel with the palm of my hand and that will lock it up quietly. Test your hammer and make sure it locks to the firing position and if it does your good to go. Don’t forget to hold the hammer back when you pull the trigger and let it down before the hunt.

Never notice too much with my ml.
CVA Optima V2 50 cal LR nitride rifle. I get into the stand early. Let everything settle down. I use the hammer trigger method.

Back