Barnes 250 TEZ Velocity

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIDeerhunter67

Reaction score
Good Afternoon guys and gals,

I have a question, my current load I’m using is a 250 grain Barnes TEZ with 110 grains of Blackhorn by volume and a Winchester 209. What average velocity do you think I’m making? I’m guess around 2000 fps, I’m trying to roughly figure out my ballistics for 200 yards. The blackhorn website has the load data for 100 and 120 so I’m just roughly guessing between the two charges. Anyone has any chrono data or anything so I can get a close guess?

I haven’t chronoed that load, but you are in the ballpark (2000fps) maybe a tad more.

You’ve got a good estimate from BH data.
No one’s rifle will match yours as the the bore diameters will not be the same. (bullet fit) and some other differences.
Use BC 0.21 and with your 2000fps BH data Velocity- practice at 200yards.

Thanks guys that’s what I figured, go off the 2000 FPS. I’ve been practicing a lot, hit 6 out of 6 clay pigeons at 107 with my Impact.

What I have found is a lot of variation in volume measures. If you try to look up the standard you can find several different one that are not quite the same and I have found as much as 20 grains difference between measures. We need a simple standard as an example I would suggest a weight of water that has volume that sets the volume for 100 grains volume.
I have dumped all volume measures except the TC u-view and it is 5 grains light form a 2f standard which is what I go by for lack of something better.

That’s what I use for my charges the TC U view it’s a nice little tool that seems to be consistent

Yeah what sabotloader said, use the constant .7 and multiply whatever volumetric charge amount you want to get your charge by weight. Therefore if I wanted to shoot 110 grains by volume by weight instead, I would need 77 grains by weight. I’ve done a lot of reading up on volume vs weight and for me, volume works. I’ve had good luck so far (knock on wood) doing it that way, for my normal hunting range of about 150 yards max maybe a touch more if the conditions are right, and I have a fantastic rest I would consider 200 yards. I don’t think a grain or two or three would really get me, but if I were going farther than that sure I would want the most consistent load I could get. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it sort of thing for me. Through my ignorance doesn’t blackhorn recommend the powder to be measured by volume? Something to do with the density or something between lots?

Well, due to the OP using BH209 I will respond to previous posts. I am into Lot 32 of BH and 110 grs by volume weighs 80 grains on my Chargemaster. It seems that various lots of BH209 vary somewhat in density. Leaving on a Wyoming pronghorn M/L hunt tomorrow so hope springs eternal.

Bill

Yeah what sabotloader said, use the constant .7 and multiply whatever volumetric charge amount you want to get your charge by weight. Therefore if I wanted to shoot 110 grains by volume by weight instead, I would need 77 grains by weight. I’ve done a lot of reading up on volume vs weight and for me, volume works. I’ve had good luck so far (knock on wood) doing it that way, for my normal hunting range of about 150 yards max maybe a touch more if the conditions are right, and I have a fantastic rest I would consider 200 yards. I don’t think a grain or two or three would really get me, but if I were going farther than that sure I would want the most consistent load I could get. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it sort of thing for me. Through my ignorance doesn’t blackhorn recommend the powder to be measured by volume? Something to do with the density or something between lots?

Totally agree with you - I am a hunter not a target shooter - with that said I have always measured by Volume and have never seen enough difference to even worry about.

But, were I shooting targets or gongs for fame and glory - you dang bet-cha I would be as consistent as possible from shot to shot - so weighing for me would be a must...

mike

My last range session I did some comparisons between weighed and volume charges using identical bullets/sabots at 100 yards and the results on paper were strikingly identical. I was shooting my V2 Accura. Since I don’t take shots over the 100 yards I think I can just measure for both the range and woods. My Optima pistol shows preference to the rigged loads but it’s a much shorter barrel so I’ll weigh for it. I need to get the .45 Kodiac out now and do the same testing on it but likely after hunting season.

I totally agree mike, Tom that is interesting, It won’t be long now, yesterday I got all my trails mowed, now only if the dnr would put through an early muzzleloader season. I’ll have to wait till November! Good luck this season!

Turner

I totally agree mike, Tom that is interesting, It won’t be long now, yesterday I got all my trails mowed, now only if the dnr would put through an early muzzleloader season. I’ll have to wait till November! Good luck this season!

Turner
What they (DNR) needs to do, is make that season start 2 weeks after the general season, let the muzzleloaders have a couple weeks, then open that late doe season.

Use a powder scale 85.5gr=110gr volume

Well, due to the OP using BH209 I will respond to previous posts. I am into Lot 32 of BH and 110 grs by volume weighs 80 grains on my Chargemaster. It seems that various lots of BH209 vary somewhat in density. Leaving on a Wyoming pronghorn M/L hunt tomorrow so hope springs eternal.

Bill

The problem it's two fold. The powder density itself can vary from lot# to lot#, but just as important so can the digital scales and volumetric powder measures from one type to another.

So let's look at things from both angles. What powder measures are you both using, and how do you know your digital scales are accurate? Calibrated?

When I do weigh powder, I use a beam scale, it never lies to me.

It's always the same VOLUME, provided you are using the same VOLUMETRIC powder measure. Weight, not so much!

Encore, here in Michigan after the regular firearm season, depending on where you are located in the state, you can hunt for a few weeks for bucks and does then they switch it over to late doe. Unfortunately because of the cwd crisis they’ve so far allowed any firearm that is legal in the management zone to be used for all firearms season. What I would love to see is an early season in October even a weekend! To chase them with a smokepole. Busta, I use the exact same measurer every time, never collapse it, heck even hardly look at it haha. So far nothing but good luck! (Knock on wood).

Turner

Encore, here in Michigan after the regular firearm season, depending on where you are located in the state, you can hunt for a few weeks for bucks and does then they switch it over to late doe. Unfortunately because of the cwd crisis they’ve so far allowed any firearm that is legal in the management zone to be used for all firearms season. What I would love to see is an early season in October even a weekend! To chase them with a smokepole. Busta, I use the exact same measurer every time, never collapse it, heck even hardly look at it haha. So far nothing but good luck! (Knock on wood).

Turner

To answer your original question, should be real close to 2000 FPS.

Last year we lost our muzzleloader season forever, due to being in the CWD management zone. Now anyone can hunt in the muzzleloader season with any legal firearm in the CWD zone. I haven't even checked the new regs for this year, but I don't think they will ever go back to the way it was.

Turner

Busta is right about down below with CWD there. Old friends that ALWAYS hunted ALL seasons with a muzzleloader, now use a 450 Bushmaster in that area. I'm in the bTB area where we have a pretty unique problem ourselves.

When.……….. we had a muzzleloader season here in MI, it was always better all the way around if they gave the whitetails time to calm down after the general season. Now one season closes and the other opens. I don't have the answer for it and it appears that others with wildlife degrees don't either. Part of the problem lies with the hunters themselves for not taking enough does and instead, waiting for that "monster buck" everyone shows on TV. That APR crap just doesn't work and failed miserably in the bTB area. After they ran a "trial" in the area, the bTB rate skyrocketed and they had to drop the APR's.

The problem it's two fold. The powder density itself can vary from lot# to lot#, but just as important so can the digital scales and volumetric powder measures from one type to another.

So let's look at things from both angles. What powder measures are you both using, and how do you know your digital scales are accurate? Calibrated?

When I do weigh powder, I use a beam scale, it never lies to me.

It's always the same VOLUME, provided you are using the same VOLUMETRIC powder measure. Weight, not so much!

Myself, I like my electronic scale, put powder in speed loaders along with 240gr Nosler 44 mag with harvester sabot and I'm ready for range or hunting.

Thanks Busta, that’s what I’m figuring for my trajectory then! Yeah I’m in the southern peninsula, the 450 is king down here, I sold my 450 to be strictly muzzleloader hunting. 450s kill deer no doubt, but with blackhorn and Barnes in my opinion if you give it enough juice (powder) you have a 450, plus I can shoot this more, less expensive, less noise. I can pick and choose the kind of bullet and load I want. Yeah I’m a meat hunter come gun season, bow season I’m pickier but not hunting giant bucks, I’m out there to enjoy nature, see deer, and put meat in the freezer. I eat deer all year. If I kill a big one I was in the right place at the right time haha, i can’t wait won’t be long!

Turner

Latest posts

Back