Bullet Survey

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preferred Deer Family Muzzleloading Bullet

• Pure swaged lead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cast pure lead

• Semi-hard lead (some antimony added)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Conventional jacket / lead core (non-HP)

• Hevi-Shot sintered alloy

• copper alloy (Barnes and a few others)

• Nosler partition style (including A-frame)

• Jacketed hollow point (XTP, Platinum Tip)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Bonded core (Interlock, Gold Dot, Trophy Bonded)

• Jacketed polymer-tipped

• Lead polymer-tipped

• Other...not listed

• Total voters
I voted Copper Alloy...Barnes based on whut a 300 Grain Barnes Expander did on a TN Hog last month. It will be my choice for deer this fall when carrying my 10 ML-II.

In my Super 91 White my favorite is the BIG .503 cast 460 grain No Excuse.

Platinum tip. Hands down it's my favorite for it's performance. It's not the most accurate but it does a number of game. I do use other bullets such as the Barnes Spitfires and Hornady XTP's though.

Looks like we are all still suckers for plastic tips and boat tails, neither of which are of any significance in muzzleloading. :shock:

Once they have. :shock:

It should would be nice to have Barnes have some more "friendly" minimums for the SMI / Barnes non-cannelured bullet you folks had :!:

Well Randy you are right about them basically making the production of the 250grn X bullet imposible for us to get any more buy making the investment 5X higher.I have to say that they are still a fine bullet maker.

Hi Omega :) Dead Center bullets are very lethal on Deer. They are my favorite bullets to date on Deer. I plan on trying some XTP'S and SST'S this year on Deer. Maybe even some Barnes if they group well. .452 300grn XTP did very well on a Pig this year. I think they will show very good results on Deer as well. There are so many accurate bullets to try. :wink:

omega said:
RandyWakeman said:
Any truth to the rumor that the new Canadian gun law, making it illegal to use muzzleloader or projectiles NOT manufactured in Canada is going to pass?

Nope, we can even use bullets recommended by a clown. :lol:

Cecil awaits your call-- somebody ought to slap that balloon animal (I hope?) out of his mouth. In any case, you will learn a brand new branch of external ballistics. On a lucky day, he will tell you how he invented the SST.

[/quote]

On a lucky day, he will tell you how he invented the SST.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: I thought it was the Buffalo bullets. :p

Hmm.... well guys, I voted Barnes... I like em.

Omega, You tried anything Barnes yet?

Doohan said:
Hmm.... well guys, I voted Barnes... I like em.

Omega, You tried anything Barnes yet?

You bet, I've been using Barnes bullets in my .338 WM since the early 80's. I needed a very rugged bullet to stand up to the velocity and abuse. Barnes bullets were very good perfomers as long as I could get them on target at 3000 FPS plus. Below that and there was very little expansion going on. The bullet still did it's job and killed the critter but I'm not a huge fan of bullets exiting. If I every get a bullet in a ML doing over 3000 FPS I'll surely be trying them again. :lol:

Who would be interested in what anyone had to say about a bullet until they killed some animals with it? :lol:

Everyone who buys a bullet from Cecil Epp, that's who. :shock:

Actually anyone could and should be. The basis is simple-- accuracy and trajectory in a given gun. After finding that, it is worth a lot more study. That is the case with a Barnes Original .45-70 bullet right now-- and also Speer Gold Dots, the Gold Dot design being a well-proven one by now.

I can't say much about your premise-- which is a lot like saying no one should say anything about a heart attack until they have actually had one. Many doctors fail that test.

That's what wounding studies, the FBI barrier test, Fackler's work, the military's work, the 4 denim test, wet phone books, etc., etc., is all about-- to try to give some reliable indication of bullet performance before you bet a life on it-- especially if it may be your own.

As for Barnes bullets, Omega, this is obviously a muzzleloading bullet thread-- yet, your lack of muzzleloading use of Barnes bullets has not stopped you from commenting. A Barnes MZ-Expander is not a rifle bullet, and hardly needs high velocity to expand. Yes, I've killed animals with Barnes MZ-Expanders-- you have apparently not. What else is there you need say about them?

The technicians at Olin didn't kill any animals with Winchester Platinum tips-- but, the design and release of that bullet was hardly happenstance. See http://www.chuckhawks.com/win_platinum_tips.htm . After that type of effort, who wouldn't think they are worthy of a try?

No, I've not killed anything with them either-- but those who have already have reported results than can only be called superior. Not a complete surprise. It is little difference if I pull the trigger, or if my hunting partner pulls the trigger while I watch. What they do is what they do.

Regardless of your personal bullet choice in a specific rifle, our fascination with bullets and with what other people are shooting has few equals in muzzleloading. It didn't take long for a bullet poll to become the #1 topic in this forum. It always does. :shock:

RandyWakeman said:
Regardless of your personal bullet choice in a specific rifle, our fascination with bullets and with what other people are shooting has few equals in muzzleloading. It didn't take long for a bullet poll to become the #1 topic in this forum. It always does. :shock:

Hmm... Hmmmm...Only twenty-eight muzzleloaders out of 150+ are actually USING bullets! Maybe I should start a NEW poll:

POLL OPTIONS:

I ALWAYS use bullets when hunting with a muzzleloader.

I USUALLY use bullets when hunting with a muzzleloader..

I RARELY use bullets when hunting with a muzzleloader...

I NEVER use bullets when hunting with a muzzleloader...

:roll:

Latest posts

Back