Considering a Knight Ultralight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc22

Reaction score
Hi folks,

2nd post here... been lurking a while.

I’m considering getting a knight ultralight. I’m located in the north east and really don’t have any of the restrictions you guys out west do. I like the idea of the knight ultralight and stock, although a small part of me wishes it was an HS Precision over the Bell and Carlson. I have a CVA Accura V2 now. I see Knight has a lot of options and I guess I’m just wondering if anyone upgraded from a Knight to a CVA Paramount and thought it was worth it? The variflame vs a 209 primer just doesn’t mean a lot to me where I’m new.

Is the Knight Ultralight still relevant?

Is it worth it over a CVA Paramount?

Is there anything else I should be considering? I‘m still experimenting with the CVA Accura, I guess maybe I have unreasonable expectations for a muzzleloader and considering other options to add to (i.e. keep the CVA and put fixed sights on it for brush hunting)

I am TOTALLY biased - know that from the get go! But yes the ULite for me is a much better rifle than the Paramount. Less weight and I feel the usability is much greater....

18-1-13-Rock-Pit.jpg

Thanks Sabotloader,

I’m really wanting one. I’m considering the Colorado version as it comes with both iron sights and is tapped for a scope.

I see you use the plastic jacket version. Is it something I should add to the Colorado version as it is bare 209 primer (exposed).

The above is my understanding, please let me know if it’s different.

One way to make it better is to replace the breech plug with Bestill' breech plug. The flash hole never grows larger, and the primers don't leak.

Thanks Sabotloader,

I’m really wanting one. I’m considering the Colorado version as it comes with both iron sights and is tapped for a scope.

Correct... It is tapped for all.

I see you use the plastic jacket version. Is it something I should add to the Colorado version as it is bare 209 primer (exposed).

I purchase the Colorado FPJ version (Red Plastic Jackets) so I can switch it to the Lehigh Bare Primer setup.

IMG-0002.jpg

To me this setup is much easier to use than the Knight Bare Primer Bolt, in that you open and pull the bolt back and drop a primer into the opening.

IMG-1221.jpg

With the Knight Bare Primer system you have to feed the primer into a set of rails on the face of the bolt. This picture shows the face of the Knight Bare Primer Bolt. Another reason I prefer the Lehigh system is the vent liner in the Breech Plug can be removed and replaced with a new vent liner when needed.

Mount-Bolt-Nose.jpg

The above is my understanding, please let me know if it’s different.

I hope this answers your questions.

The Bestill Bare Primer system is excellent! but in my world expensive. The Lehigh is far less expensive and will last most people a life time with simply replacing the the Vent liner.

You will possibly need to shim the Lehigh plug to stop blow back into the breech area but it is an easy project. I use Winchester W209 primers and if you are lucky you will not have to shim if you do need to shim your primers will come looking almost new and no blow back in the breech area.

Spent-Primers.jpg

Last edited:
What is the difference between the bestil breach plug (and where do you find one) vs the Lehigh ?

The Bestill plug is fit to your choice of primer. It marries the primer to the rifle. It also has a tungsten carbide bushing with the flash hole through. Very very very resistant to wear; will last, and last. It also makes a better 'seal' with the rifle. Send him a pm, he is a member here.

Anyone hear why they are not doing the nitride finish anymore?

Hello all, I am considering buying an ultralight and debating between the 45cal fast twist and the 50cal which i dont think is the fast twist. I will likely get the Colorado version as some day i may take it elk hunting. My question is, what do you all recommend for whitetails and elk- 45cal or 50cal? Also sabots or full bore? Thanks!

Hello all, I am considering buying an ultralight and debating between the 45cal fast twist and the 50cal which i dont think is the fast twist. I will likely get the Colorado version as some day i may take it elk hunting. My question is, what do you all recommend for whitetails and elk- 45cal or 50cal? Also sabots or full bore? Thanks!

.50 Cal, Full Bore since you plan to Hunt Elk someday, .50 Cal Minimum for Elk is the Law here in Idaho and I believe Colorado as well?

Last edited:
.50 Cal, Full Bore since you plan to Hunt Elk someday, .50 Cal Minimum for Elk is the Law here in Idaho and I believe Colorado as well?
Would you say the ULite is as accurate as the other Knights? My Disc Exteme with conversion is lights out accurate.

Latest posts

Back