Drop Tube

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been doing it 23 years started with black at 1000 yds. No disrespect but I have my way you do yours
I'm just trying to understand the reasons for why such things are done. Some things just seem illogical until clarified.
We all have our little quirks and ways of doing things wheter right or wrong. Sometimes your way is better than mine and vice versa. But if I'm going to change something I want to know why I should. This is one of those times.

I'm just trying to understand the reasons for why such things are done. Some things just seem illogical until clarified.
We all have our little quirks and ways of doing things wheter right or wrong. Sometimes your way is better than mine and vice versa. But if I'm going to change something I want to know why I should. This is one of those times.
MrTom pretty much summed it up in post #23.

I just discussed it with another National Champion, who agreed, use a drop tube. Every granule of propellent goes directly to the ignition source. There is no mixed in fouling. When you shoot 500yds and beyond, every single contributing factor matters.
I struggled some today with my heartbeat. I need to readjust my cheek piece and not put so much pressure on it with my cheek. I need to wear a different glove. And .... if .... allowed to use a rear support, use a bag instead of something hard.

I'll point out something else, shooting LONG RANGE is done from the prone position and off cross sticks, not a bipod, no bench, and rear rests are not allowed. Again, every single contributing factor, regardless of how minor someone may think it could be, MUST be addressed when shooting 1K, prone, likely in wet grass, off cross sticks, with a maximum propellant limit, and under a time limit. Unless one actually gets involved, its hard to imagine all the requirements to hit a 10" circle at 1,000yds, with a 120gr VOLUME charge of BH. I'll say it again, EVERY single contributing factor, no matter how small, must be addressed. MrTom did a good job. ;)

If possible, you really should attend a long range match, even if only to observe. However, if you only observe, you'll wish you brought your rifle :)

Gotcha - so the answer is that there isn’t actually any science behind it - it’s just what we do. 👍🏻😉
Set your calendar. It should be June 8th and 9th 2024, again at Camp Atterbury, IN. that another 800, 900 and 1,000yd match is held. You should come shoot and you don't have to use a drop tube. When through on Sunday, you can drive a short ways over to Friendship and shoot the Nationals. I understand you want to hunt elk during the early Sept. match this fall but, there's no elk hunting in June.

There's been enough reasoning behind a drop tube use to answer, or give call Lee Shaver and discuss drop tubes.

Come shoot with us, you'll have fun.

Set your calendar. It should be June 8th and 9th 2024, again at Camp Atterbury, IN. that another 800, 900 and 1,000yd match is held. You should come shoot and you don't have to use a drop tube. When through on Sunday, you can drive a short ways over to Friendship and shoot the Nationals. I understand you want to hunt elk during the early Sept. match this fall but, there's no elk hunting in June.

There's been enough reasoning behind a drop tube use to answer, or give call Lee Shaver and discuss drop tubes.

Oh gosh, that’s awfully nice of you to invite me. We’re tentatively planning a trip to hunt Africa at about that time. But I’ll be sure to let you know. 😁

What kind of rail do you have on your rifle to get a 76 moa adjustment? I'm pretty sure a 20 moa rail isn't enough
You are 100% correct. With the propellant maximum at 120grs VOLUME, you need a 40moa. I'm not sure, I guess because I just went 40, that a 30moa rail could get you there, but you'd still need a scope with 100moa vertical adjustment (total).

Curious:
Encore you are using the "Longer" ASG Gen 2 Breech Plug (Interchangeable Length with the 209 Plug) with 1/4" Hole through it, Correct?
With Blackhorn 209 Powder you want to get the same number of individual kernels of powder through the long 1/4" Hole to the Primer.
Is this similar to using a Drop Tube for .308 Win Match Military Case with Varget so "Bridging" doesn't occur & you can get enough powder into the heavier walled cartridge cases?

Curious:
Encore you are using the "Longer" ASG Gen 2 Breech Plug (Interchangeable Length with the 209 Plug) with 1/4" Hole through it, Correct?
With Blackhorn 209 Powder you want to get the same number of individual kernels of powder through the long 1/4" Hole to the Primer.
Is this similar to using a Drop Tube for .308 Win Match Military Case with Varget so "Bridging" doesn't occur & you can get enough powder into the heavier walled cartridge cases?
Yes, the Arrowhead plug. The tube sets right on the BP face and the charge fills the plug first. I have no clue about the CF cartridges.

I don't think Lee would do much discussing (just sayin) too busy utilizing his drop tube !/Ed

Back