Five shot, 20 minute zero....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Originally posted by big6x6
Folks...Muzzleloading just isn't that difficult anymore. More than a few muzzleloaders have a track record of dependability, accuracy, quality build, and ease of use. Also several bullet/sabot combos have track records of being universally accurate in most rifles and 100gr of Triple Se7en is where you want to start with a powder charge for a hunting rifle.

I started with a brand-new Knight Disc Elite .50. This one has the quick-release bolt. I cleaned the barrel with Hoppes #9 with a patch to remove any protectant/lubricant that was used at the factory. I also checked the breech plug to make sure it was lubed to my satisfaction. It was and I know the Knight breech plug lube is good stuff so I left it alone. I cleaned the receiver base holes using a Q-Tip and denatured ethanol to make sure there was to oil/lubricant there. Next I installed Weaver Grand Slam S45 bases using Prime Lok 245 blue on each of the base screws threads and tighted the screws securely. Next I mounted a Docter Optik 1.5-6X42 Aspherical using low Warne 30mm QD rings. Off to the range tomorrow.

chuck1.jpg

Saturday at the range... When sighting in a new rifle, I take an extra target stand to set up at 25yds and then I have my usual stand with four targets at 100yds. I use the 25yd target for course adjustments then go to the 100yd target to finish up. I poured up a fouling shot using 50gr fffg Triple Se7en and insert one of the Red Plastic Jackets containing the Remington 209-4 I fixed up the night before. The shot fired off without a hitch and I spit-patched and set the rifle down. I picked up some T/C 250gr PTXs and my hand fell on some Harvester 45/50 short sabots. I knew from past experience that the 250gr PTX is one bullet that has a reputation for accuracy in a majority of rifles. I poured up 100gr ffg Triple Se7en and loaded up the PTX/Harvester combo. It was a stiff push down but seated it poperly with one push down the barrel. Using the 25yd target I aimed at the center bull and squeezed off a shot. Shot one was on the paper(no surprise), a good bit high and a little to the right. For scope adjustment, I use the "follow the shot method." Instead of measuring/guessing the distance the shot is from the bull and counting clicks(AND multipling by four since I'm shooting at 25yds) I hold the rifle securely and while doing so, move the reticle adjustments so they are centered on the shot off the bull. Next I spit-patch and load up another round. Shot number two is almost exactly thru the bull so I'm finished at 25yds.

chuck2.jpg

I spit-patch and load up another PTX. I squeeze off a shot at the center bull on one of my 100yd targets. I see the shot is a little low and right and using the "follow the shot" routine I make the necessary scope adjustments and spit-patch and load up another round. Firing two more shots I can see that my sighting in routine is FINISHED in FIVE shots and about 20 minutes on a Saturday morning. If it were hunting season I'm ready for a Saturday afternoon hunt. It WAS that easy. And it SHOULD be that easy, every time!
chuck3.jpg

Latest posts

Back