Flintlock Season Approaches in PA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richdeerht

Reaction score
Getting ready- will do some shooting this weekend.

.50 cal fullstock Hawken, L&R lock, Getz barrel. 95 gr 3f, Hornady 240 gr PA conical

Season opens Dec 26, and goes for a couple weeks. Buck or doe, but not "protected deer".

For you non-PA hunters, a protected deer has spikes over 3", but does not have at least 3 points on one side. 3 or more points is "antlered", that is, a buck.

pa late season

im going,gonna shoot tomorrow.90 grain 2f,360 gr maxiball,if i can gettum 75 yds or less thier in trouble,did score a skin head in early season at 75 and it wasnt to easy to see thru all the green stuff,with this snow on ground it should be great.good luck :D

Hey Guy's :) Glad to see you guy's getting ready for Flintlock season in PA. I will be shooting this week as well.

Lyman DeerStalker
100grns of 2F Goex
300grn Extreme Elites
4F Goex in the pan.

The area i hunt in PA requires 4 points on one side. (2D)

I just might take a ride down to RMC Sports this week just in case I need any last minute items.

BTW, my rifle shot best with 90 gr 3f , a .495 roundball, and a .024" denim patch. Last time I shot it (2 years ago!), I got better results from the Hornady PA conical. Since it's rifled 1-66", I really haven't tried sabots. I'd still like to try the Buffalo Ball-et, if I can find some.

richdeerht said:
I just might take a ride down to RMC Sports this week just in case I need any last minute items.

BTW, my rifle shot best with 90 gr 3f , a .495 roundball, and a .024" denim patch. Last time I shot it (2 years ago!), I got better results from the Hornady PA conical. Since it's rifled 1-66", I really haven't tried sabots. I'd still like to try the Buffalo Ball-et, if I can find some.

I'm not too sure the sabots would stabalize with that slow of a twist. They usually like to get a good spin on them. The buffalo ball-et 245 grain shoot good out to 50 yard out of my 1-66 twist Hawkins.. I never tried them further because it is such an excellent roundball rifle, I normally shoot roundball.

Today I was shooting ball-ets out of my .54 caliber Renegade. It has a 1-48 twist. Actually I started out to see if it would shoot powerbelts but that was a definate NOPE! So I broke out some 310 grain Buffalo Bullet Ball-ets.

6636c7b9.jpg

The powerbelts would not group at all but the ball-ets did much better. I was not pushing them too hard, only 85 grains, but they sure have some down range thump to them. The 405 grain Powerbelts I had 100 grains under and wanted to see what they would do, well they sprayed all over the place...

Good luck with your upcoming deer hunt. Hunting in the snow is a great time. Shoot some nice ones..

I found that the shorter Powerbelts in the 50 caliber 1-48 bbl shoot best. Either 295 or 245 grains. The 348 were great in a 1-28 bbl.

I have slotted the last 3 days of the season to head North to my hunting camp. TC Firestorm 100 grains 2fg goex & 245 or 295 Powerbelt Aerotips. Got a lil more shooting to do before bullet is chosen. Cant get out in early part of season due to kids bein home from college etc. Didnt see em for a while. :)

I went shooting Friday a taught a newbie how to load, fire, and clean a flintlock.
My rifles are ready to go, and I'll be using 95 gr of 3f , a .495" roundball, and a .024" denim patch. I 'll carry my fullstock Hawken.

Latest posts

Back