Future Knight owner, few questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bestill - meant to thank you for your opening post on this thread. Very helpful!

And thanks to everyone else too for chiming in. I appreciate it.

I do notice the UL doesnt have a fluted barrel like the Mountaineer does. Is this gonna make much difference? Sometimes I wonder, considering how long it takes between shots anyway, what the point of a fluted barrel is on a ML.

I dont know much about "blowback", but is there more or less on the Mountaineer vs the UL?

they are basically the same gun. UL shorter barrel and made lighter, light stock etc. I think the fluting ia almost more about weight reduction than barrel cooling, but its a plus thrown in. They are both equally capable, and pretty much personal preferance, or typical terrain and style hunting you do. they are both pretty much variations off the same action.

Five Mountaineers? Holy cow!

I have no doubt the UL probably is the better "hunting" rifle, but in reality i dont stalk much or climb any mountains. Basically in a blind or treestand 99% of the time, so not sure if weight should be a HUGE factor.

Kraig said:
GM54-120 said:
I would agree the Ultra-Lite is a better hunting rifle than the Mountaineer but i am a bit biased. Both of my favorite hunting rifles are light weights. Whichever one you pick, strongly consider the Bestill bushing plug. Its a great investment that will easily pay for itself over the life of the rifle.

I've read guys talking about the Bestill plug. What exactly are the advantages? I'd be interested for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bestill's plug will last indefinitely and be head spaced for your rifle with your primer of choice. You will never need to shim it. The plug is made from higher grade 17-4 stainless versus heat treated 416 stainless. The tungsten carbide bushing can be replaced for around $30 if you ever mange to wear it out. In a 50cal with sabots that will likely be a VERY LONG time even with max loads. So a new bushing is pretty close to the cost of a new Knight breach plug but you will replace far more Knight vented plugs before you would replace one bushing.

If it were me i would just send a brand new UL or Mountaineer straight to Bestill and pay the additional labor so you will receive a perfect rifle ready to shoot and zero hassles.

Kraig said:

I have no doubt the UL probably is the better "hunting" rifle, but in reality i dont stalk much or climb any mountains. Basically in a blind or treestand 99% of the time, so not sure if weight should be a HUGE factor.

And I think that is one of the reason the Mountaineer enjoys its popularity - longer barrel barrel and all.

Try that .32 mountaineer conversion... :d'oh!: that thing is ANOTHER 2 pounds.. and never gets used for what it was meant for anymore. Chalk that one up to a learning experience. A 12 Lb squirrel gun just aint right.... :?

Kraig said:

If that is your hunting style, certainly the mtnr will fit the bill nicely. Stainless w grey laminated thumbhole is awful sweet :)

Kraig,
Make sure you order the bare 209 primer ML. Dont worry about buying any new plug for your gun until after you use it once at the range. Three of my Mountaineers and two Ultralites none of had any issues. I dont shim the plugs either. 100% clean and reliable. Now after your first range visit if it is dirty then definetely order the plug from Bestil. Actually i would not order it, send your gun to him and let him fit it properly. Thats the best way by far in my opinion.

I forgot to mention a couple things. The Ultralites were supposed to have smoother bolts then the Mountaineers, and mine do. But the Mountaineer and Ultralite share the same bolts. And i think that theory went away based on other findings on the Internet. The Ultralite was supposed to have a different style breech plug and bolt but knight really did a poor job on that. Knight Rods and most other manufactures rods are terrible. With the exception to the CVA MR, it has a great rod. But all the others are terrible. With the added extra length of the barrel on the Mountaineer you cant even upgrade to a powerrod by T/C. They will be to short. The Kevlar stock on the Ultralite is far superior to any factory ML being made. It with stands cold,sweat, and anything you throw at it. Wood/laminate stocks fail in my hunting conditions and mark up really easy. Knights theory on fluting was looks and weight. Cooling is very important if you shoot in warm weather. The Ultralite will cool down much faster then the Mountaineer. I at one time had three Mountaineers in my home. Right now i have none. But i do have three Ultralites. In my opinion the Mountaineer is not worth what they ask for it. But the Ultralite is worth more then they ask for. Either gun like i said before, will last you forever. But based on everything you have said, i believe your making a big mistake buying the Mountaineer.

This is my first year hunting with a Knight Mountaineer 50 cal, I bought it used for a ridiculously low price considering it's quality. What I first noticed about the rifle in the woods was that it's just plain heavy and the barrel has crazy bright finish in just about all light conditions. Most of my hunting is stalking and or still hunting, an Ultra light would have been a better fit for my hunting style. If you are a treestand guy over fields you will be happy with either. Otherwise I would suggest going Ultralight in 45 cal. Which ever rifle you purchase I think you will find the build quality just plain impressive. Good luck with your purchase.

Cattledog said:
This is my first year hunting with a Knight Mountaineer 50 cal, I bought it used for a ridiculously low price considering it's quality. What I first noticed about the rifle in the woods was that it's just plain heavy and the barrel has crazy bright finish in just about all light conditions. Most of my hunting is stalking and or still hunting, an Ultra light would have been a better fit for my hunting style. If you are a treestand guy over fields you will be happy with either. Otherwise I would suggest going Ultralight in 45 cal. Which ever rifle you purchase I think you will find the build quality just plain impressive. Good luck with your purchase.

They do not make a Ultra-Lite in a 45 cal. They make a Mountaineer in 45 both a slower twist 1:30 and the faster twist 1:20

Check your state regulations when it comes to using a 45 in ML season

Is the 45 cal barrel the same diameter as the 50 cal barrel? That would be a heavy rifle.

Cattledog said:
Is the 45 cal barrel the same diameter as the 50 cal barrel? That would be a heavy rifle.

Yes, the 45 and 50 cal Mountaineer barrel share some outside diameters...

45 about 8# 4 with stock.

I will be hunting with an Ultra Lite this year and so far it is quickly becoming one of my favorites. One thing I did not see mentioned about the Ultra Lite is that is does have a tapered barrel. Unless I am wrong the Mountaineer has a full contour barrel. I like a light rife for my style hunting but I do sit in a blind too. So since I do both sitting and still hunting I like the lighter rifle. If you always hunt from a blind or tree stand then the heavier rifle may not matter to you. It does boil down to your preference and style of hunting. If at all possible check out both if you can find them local. I agree with Grouse on the ignition, which ever rifle you choose get the bare primer ignition.

Grouse said:
I forgot to mention a couple things. The Ultralites were supposed to have smoother bolts then the Mountaineers, and mine do. But the Mountaineer and Ultralite share the same bolts. And i think that theory went away based on other findings on the Internet. The Ultralite was supposed to have a different style breech plug and bolt but knight really did a poor job on that. Knight Rods and most other manufactures rods are terrible. With the exception to the CVA MR, it has a great rod. But all the others are terrible. With the added extra length of the barrel on the Mountaineer you cant even upgrade to a powerrod by T/C. They will be to short. The Kevlar stock on the Ultralite is far superior to any factory ML being made. It with stands cold,sweat, and anything you throw at it. Wood/laminate stocks fail in my hunting conditions and mark up really easy. Knights theory on fluting was looks and weight. Cooling is very important if you shoot in warm weather. The Ultralite will cool down much faster then the Mountaineer. I at one time had three Mountaineers in my home. Right now i have none. But i do have three Ultralites. In my opinion the Mountaineer is not worth what they ask for it. But the Ultralite is worth more then they ask for. Either gun like i said before, will last you forever. But based on everything you have said, i believe your making a big mistake buying the Mountaineer.

Thank you for the advice on the guns. Obviously, I appreciate all the advice given to me so far and will take all into consideration, but what you said Grouse really makes me want to lean towards the UL. Now I'll be fair to both rifles that I've never even held any of them in person, but based on what I want (good looking, very accurate, well built, durable, reliable) and also the kind of hunting I do, it seems that the Ultra-Lite just might be the way to go. Not to mention the issue with the ram rods that you mentioned. I've never heard of that but it's very good to know.

Will the UL be every bit as accurate as the Mountaineer? Assuming I do my part.

Kraig,
The Ultralite is obviously lite. Once your used to that on the shooting bench yes. When you talk about hunting accuracy, one inch to inch and a half I'm pretty confident out to 300 yards with my Ultralite if I plan for that kind of hunting. But I'm a close up guy and most of my shots are 100 yards.

Grouse said:
Kraig,
The Ultralite is obviously lite. Once your used to that on the shooting bench yes. When you talk about hunting accuracy, one inch to inch and a half I'm pretty confident out to 300 yards with my Ultralite if I plan for that kind of hunting. But I'm a close up guy and most of my shots are 100 yards.

Holy cow, 1-1.5" @ 300 yards? Thats smokin accurate.

Got some real thinking to do here.

Kraig said:
Grouse said:
Kraig,

Sorry, I meant an inch at 100 yards

Grouse said:
Kraig said:
Grouse said:
Kraig,

Sorry, I meant an inch at 100 yards

That's still very good for a ML in my opinion.

Fwiw, I LOVE the Knight (Easton) ramrods with the extendable jag. I've never had an issue, they are strong and have always worked well. I bought a couple extras to use in my older ML's that didn't have the extension. I own quite a few Knights, and honestly that is one of my favorite features.

Most of my Knights shoot with the kind of accuracy Grouse mentioned, if i do my part. Best shooter so far is my .45 Elite that went 1 3/8" 3 shot group @ 150. The question on accuracy is whether I do any good or not :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back