Future Knight owner, few questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Mountaineer(sold it) and still have an Ultra Lite. As far as handling in a tree stand or climber the UL gets my vote all day long. The UL is a dream to carry as well. If I was looking for a 300 yard gun I would probably lean towards the Mountaineer just because of extra weight for longer ranges. The UL though is the all around gun for me.

I have a green Ulight. This is my opinion after hunting with it for two years. I'm already on my 2nd breech plug, and it'll be a third soon but I'll buy one of Bestill's plugs. My advice would be to throw away the Knight plug and buy one from Bestill. Plugs last about 50 firings before groups open way up and blowback starts to occur bad enough that you cant drop a spent primer without taking out the bolt and using a knife or other tool to pop the spect primer out. A brand new breech plug corrects this, but it comes back with repeat firing. With my new plug I can group just under an inch at 100 yards using 300 grain XTP's over 100 grains of BH. I like my rifle and will like it more when I get a good breech plug. Oh, ALWAYS snap a cap or two before loading it and going hunting. I had a hang fire when I tried to shoot a buck right under my treestand....the primer popped,there was a 10 second delay or so and then BOOM...enough time passed that I moved off the deer when it went off. Always blow a few caps through. I've always blown compressed air through the plug after cleaning but that's apparently not enough.

I don't know why people think the Mountaineer is not a good hunting gun, it balances good off hand points easy and is very accurate..never used a Ultra Lite but theres more to the weight of a gun that makes a hunting gun..weight might be a consideration if your hiking mountains or stalking all day but if treestand or blind hunting it has little bearing..the thumbhole stock on the Mountaineer is very comfortable..

Although I love the looks of the Mountaineer, LOVE the looks, I'm really starting to lean towards the Ultra-Lite due to the advice given and the fact that it is lighter and not as long. Plus, the UL looks nice too no doubt.

I wasn't "worried" about accuracy by any means with the UL, but wondered about it compared to the Mountaineer. But some have mentioned 1" @150, and that's pretty good in my eyes.

When I can get some more range time I'd like to tinker around with different loads and long ranges, and I'm just hoping the UL can also be a good range gun. I can't find a reason why it couldn't be.

I think I'd be very happy with the Mountaineer, but at this point I think I'd have to be talked out of the UL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After everything, I'm going with the Mountaineer. Not that I didn't consider everyone's advice and I appreciate it all, just the Mountaineer was the one I wanted all along. For the kind of hunting I do, a few extra pounds and inches of barrel length ain't gonna matter to me.

Thanks guys for all the help, I greatly appreciate it.

them long and heavy guns sure are great for me :D :partyman: Pretty too
DSC00512_zpsqqcvkt2d.jpg

DSC00444_zpsbe5cc7f2.jpg

Squeeze and Kraig (if you ended up with a mountaineer),

I have a question for you guys:

Do you think the Mountaineer is nose-heavy when you shoulder it? I am wondering if the fluted barrel makes it balance better?

I found the disc extreme to be very nose heavy. I only handled the thumb hole stocked version, which is allegedly less nose heavy than the Monte Carlo stocked version. But I did not like the front heaviness of it at all.

Ended up getting the UL, which balances perfectly for me. In fact it is one of the best feeling rifles I've ever shouldered.

But I might want to take advantage of this great Knight offer, and get the mountaineer as well, cause well it's another gun, and therefore I want it.

Thanks,

Buster

If you thought the disc was front heavy, your going to think the mountaineer is if not the same, maybe even worse. Im 6'-3"+ so My forearm hand probably extends more than most, and I dont feel it as much. The new .45 fast twist was made on the mountaineer platform because it is kind of more suited to benchrest or longer range shooting. But in reality, for typical hunting range limitations, the UL should be as accurate.
Most guys like the UL better, FOR the weight and balance. I just have a soft spot for the mountaineer, and love em. BUT If I was more western, and hunted with a trek all day style, I would be looking for lightweight as a priority. I am east coast, and typically hunt treestands, and really dont go too far from where I park. (maybe ~4-500 yards, climb and sit) To me, this extra weight helps me in a steady hold. A vast majority of my shots are close range, and aimed freehand. I just have a feel that a heavier gun remains steadier, and hold aim better for me. I typically carry in a climber each time, and carry minimal gear (the weight issue...) So I have no treestand gadgets for gunrest. Unless the shot is behind me, where I can stand, and use the tree I'm in, my shots are usually from a seated position, and freehand, So I kind of like the feel of a Mountaineer. A lot probably has to do with my size and style, Im sure opinions will vary.
I do manual labor all day. I am a commercial fisherman with a small construction co. on the side. and I typically carry much heavier things all day, So my weight consciousness is probably diminished also. But I just turned 50, so I DO feel the onset, and know things are changing rapidly. :D Ill start acting more my age when forced, but for now I resist kicking and screaming :drinkers:

Good post Squeeze. I just got my Mountaineer ordered today, without handling either it or the UL.

I too work a very manual labor job, typically carrying, pushing, and pulling heavier objects. I'm thinking the extra couple pounds won't matter to me since I don't climb mountains or stalk.

Kraig said:
Good post Squeeze. I just got my Mountaineer ordered today, without handling either it or the UL.

I too work a very manual labor job, typically carrying, pushing, and pulling heavier objects. I'm thinking the extra couple pounds won't matter to me since I don't climb mountains or stalk.

My 'new to me' Mountaineer came by big Brown Thursday

Got the scope mounted and bore sighted - now just gotta find time to go shoot it.

Beautiful gun sabot loader. What scope is it u have on there?

Kraig said:
Beautiful gun sabot loader. What scope is it u have on there?

Redfield Revenge 3x9x42 Accru-Range reticule

They do not make this any longer, but you can still find them on the net. The new one is called a "Dial and Shoot"

Yes the mountaineer or more nose heavy I just take some lead and drill some holes under the recoil pad to bal. it out but I do keep a little weight on the nose for recoil. to start I take some lead and hang it off the sling screw and shoot it and see if what I have for weight is what I like. then weigh it and put that in the stock.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen, on fit and feel; think I'll pass on the mountaineer.

I'm a rangy 6'1, with longish arms, but even then, nose heavy guns bug me. If it doesn't feel good for me, it probably won't shoot well for me.

I love a deal like the current knight vets one, but just cause it's a great one, doesn't mean I need to buy another gun, especially when the UL feels great already.

Thanks,

Buster

Just got my Mountaineer in the mail today. She's a beauty for sure. Haven't got to play around with it much yet due to being busy, but I already can tell I'm gonna love this thing. I'm a little confused why this wouldn't be a good hunting rifle as this thing is far being heavy. Or even too long. Can't wait to get everything I need to finally go to the range with it.

Latest posts

Back