Hornady 300g SST -- 80g Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The 300 grain SST bullet used in this test, was provided by twild. Eighty grain of Blackhorn was the propellant. The bullet was shot into the trap (photo) placed 25 yard away. Today there was quite a bit less snow than when the photo of the trap was taken.

IMG_2829.JPG

The bullet was captured by the fifth jug. The tip was held by the second jug. The small piece of lead was found in the third jug. The first two jugs were blowed up good. The third, and fourth jugs had holes in, and out. No hole out of the fifth jug; only a hole in. The last jug was undamaged; will be used in the next shoot.

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

It appears you're doing about 98%, just asking for the other 2%. :poke:

Many might not realize if they just wondered on to the site, that you were shooting 80grs by weight, as quite a few only use volume.

IMO, for what that's worth, the chart should always accompany the test.

Thanks for the testing.

ENCORE50A said:
.....Many might not realize if they just wondered on to the site, that you were shooting 80grs by weight, as quite a few only use volume.......
What???? Am shooting 80 grain volume, not weight!!

Thanks Ron looks like the third test is finally a winner.

ronlaughlin said:
ENCORE50A said:
.....Many might not realize if they just wondered on to the site, that you were shooting 80grs by weight, as quite a few only use volume.......
What???? Am shooting 80 grain volume, not weight!!

The Western site http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/ ... erdata.pdf shows 80grs VOLUME of BH209, 300gr SST having a muzzle velocity (sabot dependent) of 1,620 or 1,651fps. So at 25yds you actually shot a bullet and charge that according to Western has a muzzle velocity of 1620/1651, correct?

The chart shows 1,900fps, so one must then guess that you used that velocity to compare it to a 100/105gr volume charge?

Not knocking your testing.........

ronlaughlin said:
ENCORE50A said:
The Western site http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/ ... erdata.pdf shows 80grs VOLUME of BH209, 300gr SST having a muzzle velocity (sabot dependent) of 1,620 or 1,651fps. So at 25yds you actually shot a bullet and charge that according to Western has a muzzle velocity of 1620/1651, correct?.........

Correct. However, i figured Western Powders was some optimistic, so i guessed a mv of 1600 fps, and this provides a 25 yard velocity of
1543 fps.

Great. Now again.... I'm in no way knocking your tests or methods, on the contrary I applaud them highly.

I see a lot of non-members (guests) show up on both sites quite often. Many of those may totally misunderstand the testing data, even with the chart included.

Its when they see a velocity of 1,600fps in the test, then a chart showing 1,900fps that can confuse them.
If an explanation indicated that the chart was meant to parallel a 100gr volume charge, which is why the 1,900fps velocity was used in the chart, it might very well help some understand.

Ron thanks for all the hard work your doing. This is the bullet is use on deer, although I never had a 150 yard shot, its nice to know what will happen if I did.All my shots have been under a 100 yards with clean pass throughs, with no recovered bullet

dbowling said:
Looks pretty good, tip did what it was supposed to initiate expansion.
Tips like these are meaningless..

ENCORE50A said:
What's the distance 80grs of BH represents?
It's not others that don't understand as you describe in other post - I seems you don't understand.
Distance would be dependent on what the powder charge the shooter is using. Higher the charge (above 80grV), longer the distance.

this is reason I use slow heavy bullet, It carries enough energy to perform at close or longer distance. So I don't worry about how fast it goes. I don't understand how many ways it has to be proved.You do good work Ron.

52Bore said:
ENCORE50A said:
It's not others that don't understand as you describe in other post - I seems you don't understand.
Distance would be dependent on what the powder charge the shooter is using. Higher the charge (above 80grV), longer the distance.

Rick, I'll be quite frank. First, believe me, I understand what Ron's testing is and why. I also thoroughly understand ballistic charts and programs.
So therefore you have do not understand.

You need to realize that there ARE "others" out there that are reading these posts, many as guests (7 now at the time of me responding), who may not understand.

How would any guest understand that a bullet is being shot at 25yds with a 80grs volume and an estimated velocity, that test is supposed to equal a greater charge and velocity at a completely different distance? Without an explanation within the post and test, including a chart, those guest shooters would never know or understand. So it appears you don't understand at all what I'm trying to convey.

Its not always about what the regulars undestand. Remember there are many reading these posts as just guests.

ENCORE50A said:
52Bore said:
ENCORE50A said:

Rick, I'll be quite frank. First, believe me, I understand what Ron's testing is and why. I also thoroughly understand ballistic charts and programs.
So therefore you do not understand.

You need to realize that there ARE "others" out there that are reading these posts, many as guests (7 now at the time of me responding), who may not understand.

How would any guest understand that a bullet is being shot at 25yds with a 80grs volume and an estimated velocity, that test is supposed to equal a greater charge and velocity at a completely different distance? Without an explanation within the post and test, including a chart, those guest shooters would never know or understand. So it appears you don't understand at all what I'm trying to convey.

Its not always about what the regulars undestand. Remember there are many reading these posts as just guests.[/quote]

ENCORE50A said:
ENCORE50A said:
52Bore said:

So therefore you do not understand.

First of all I believe E-50 has brought some valid points to the forefront.

1. How does a newcomer or even an old poster really know by the title... Hornady 300g SST -- 80g Blackhorn -- That Ron is stating 80 gr by volume or by weight. In todays worlds most often the discussion of BH are concerned with 'weight' not by 'volume'. I shoot BH and I often post I shoot 110-120 grains - how does the reader know which method is being used. By the size of powder load I would hope that the informed people would know that is by volume - but will EVERYONE assume that 'today' or will they I am talking weight as most others are when it comes to BH.

2. How does everyone know what Ron is really trying to show with his 50 gr V and 80 gr. V tests. I would assume most of the older members on the site would know what Ron's tests but does everybody?

3. Nowhere in the current posts does Ron actually explain either the method or the purpose of these tests. It is all left to assumption [/quote]

Its not always about what the regulars undestand. Remember there are many reading these posts as just guests.

This point should always be considered when posting load information on a public bulleting board. You really never know who all is reading and/or what experience he or she might have.

It seems that same thing from same people always comes up. How about these people do some experimenting or testing and stop complaining. Always some controversy

Back