Is the 250gr XTP good for deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could also use the 250 grain XTP. More available and less expensive. They do make a lovely batch of chest soup! I've taken 13 deer with this bullet. All save one were pass throughs. The one I found was 3/4" across and still weighed 238 grains.
If your limiting to 150 yards, the XTP will serve you well.
Good fortune to ya!

Yes, a lot of ppl use them in .45 250g & 300g in .50 sabots & many happy user posts with them.
Remember they are a " pistol " bullet, not rated for rifle velocity & they'll do great.
I shoot the heck out of them in .10mm 180g & 200g as cheap plinking bullets at .26ea + sabot.
In my Accura V2 .45 they shoot surprisingly accurately & I'm pushing them at 2400fps too.
NOt my personal choice for what I want in my " hunting " bullets, but they will absolutely get the job done on a deer.

That bullet from 240,250 and 300 grain has killed more deer in an inline muzzleloader than any other bullet since the 80s
I won my first muzzleloader in October and hunted with it twice so far this week and it's two for two shooting the 240 grain XTP. One of the two buck's was my best public land buck. Very happy with the XTP performance!

I won my first muzzleloader in October and hunted with it twice so far this week and it's two for two shooting the 240 grain XTP. One of the two buck's was my best public land buck. Very happy with the XTP performance!
It’s probably the best budget bullet a guy can shoot..it outperforms many other more expensive options

I should try low end on powder , just threw out a front shoulder 451 XTP had a head on collision @126 ranged yds deer facing me hit in chest @3:00 just inside of shoulder blade exited top of shoulder /behind shoulder /and hind end of rib cage . Should probably chrono that load in warmer weather ! All 3 deer shot this year laid down with in 3 ft of hit but 3 exits on this one says it might be a little fast in the Optima 50 cal rifle . Just came in @dark but the Leupold did the job from my lousy condo behind my house , scenic view of NYC at the end of big pond (not) and a view back towards the condo #1005photo from condo/1010 shows multiple exits/1011 shows single entry and photo 1008 the view of NYC somewhere behind our big pond /Ed

Attachments

• IMG_1009[1].JPG
    IMG_1009[1].JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1005[1].JPG
    IMG_1005[1].JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1010[1].JPG
    IMG_1010[1].JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1011[1].JPG
    IMG_1011[1].JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1008[1].JPG
    IMG_1008[1].JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 1
I should try low end on powder , just threw out a front shoulder 451 XTP had a head on collision @126 ranged yds deer facing me hit in chest @3:00 just inside of shoulder blade exited top of shoulder /behind shoulder /and hind end of rib cage . Should probably chrono that load in warmer weather ! All 3 deer shot this year laid down with in 3 ft of hit but 3 exits on this one says it might be a little fast in the Optima 50 cal rifle . Just came in @dark but the Leupold did the job from my lousy condo behind my house , scenic view of NYC at the end of big pond (not) and a view back towards the condo #1005photo from condo/1010 shows multiple exits/1011 shows single entry and photo 1008 the view of NYC somewhere behind our big pond /Ed
I have several small furbabies i feed all that messed up meat to. Even lower powder loads mess up parts when they hit. Most all jacketed bullets will fragment unless the jacket is very thick n you punch through the lungs n rib cage. Copper bullets penetrate better n don't come apart as much. Almost everyone of us use a bullet we can afford, specially when practicing. I can go through a box of 100 $45 bullets in a week. That will get into your pocket book quickly.

I have several small furbabies i feed all that messed up meat to. Even lower powder loads mess up parts when they hit. Most all jacketed bullets will fragment unless the jacket is very thick n you punch through the lungs n rib cage. Copper bullets penetrate better n don't come apart as much. Almost everyone of us use a bullet we can afford, specially when practicing. I can go through a box of 100 $45 bullets in a week. That will get into your pocket book quickly.
I reload centerfire ammo, both pistol and rifle. Price per shot has gone up drastically in the last three years. Reloading isn't cheaper, you just shoot more.

Last edited:
My go to Remington 700 MLS rifle (with our 209 kit) loves 250gr Hornady .451 XTPs, MMP black sabots, and 80 grain by volume of BH209.

This is essentially the same bullet sabot the OP says he bought together.. but its cheaper to buy sabots and bullets separately.

My rifle with this load is Sub 1.5" at 100, and crushes deer out to 200.

Most of my other rifles have liked 300gr 451 XTP's and a little more powder just a bit better... but my favorite rifle (just cause it was my first Rem700MLS and has always done the job for me... and hasn't had a POI shift in 20 years of use)... likes the 250's the best. Go figure.

I've never had the green sabots with 44 cal bullet shoot as good as either the 250 or 300gr 45 cal XTPs with black MMP sabots... in any of my 50 cal rifles.

My 54cal liked the purple MMP sabots with 300gr 50Cal XTPs the best.

Good hunting!

Last edited:
I left out the powder (BH209110gr VOL/88 grains weighted) might have something to do with meat loss , but accuracy counts too . 1st deer shoot with a store bought since I was 18 Dads 35 rem (Core Lock) ,now at 74 think I'm going back to lead conicals more meat with less damage /Ed

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back