Is the 250gr XTP good for deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the 250gr XTP good for deer? I bought a 100ct box and 100 sabots to use as a plinking and exercising the BP guns. The 250gr XTP shoots a tight group with 777, better than the bullet I had planned on using. Would you use them on deer? Shots won't be more than 100.
It's all I use with 3 white hots pellets all pass thru shots all the way out to about 200yrds and the animals maybe walk 10 yrds after that then drt.

You should do fine with that XTP. I use them for hunting in my Ruger Blackhawk Hunter in 44 Cal, 240 grn. I have taken several deer in KS that was around the 130-150b range during their 15 day any weapon season in Jan on unused doe tags. I shoot it in my Encore black powder pistol also with 70 grn of loose 777. Very accurate. I have never shot anything past 90 yards with the black powder pistol but at the range it shoots good groups out to 150 yds.
Load em up and go hunt. I use blemished XTP's nd regular. All shoot the same.
Mike

You should do fine with that XTP. I use them for hunting in my Ruger Blackhawk Hunter in 44 Cal, 240 grn. I have taken several deer in KS that was around the 130-150b range during their 15 day any weapon season in Jan on unused doe tags. I shoot it in my Encore black powder pistol also with 70 grn of loose 777. Very accurate. I have never shot anything past 90 yards with the black powder pistol but at the range it shoots good groups out to 150 yds.
Load em up and go hunt. I use blemished XTP's nd regular. All shoot the same.
Mike
What would constitute a blemished XTP?

Sometimes is nothing more than an over run. Hornady used to do that a ton with the SST vs the Whitetail Medicine bullet. The WM had a white tip instead of red and were made for Ultimate Firearms. Midway used to buy the over runs and sell them as blems for a really great price.

Sometimes is nothing more than an over run. Hornady used to do that a ton with the SST vs the Whitetail Medicine bullet. The WM had a white tip instead of red and were made for Ultimate Firearms. Midway used to buy the over runs and sell them as blems for a really great price.
They are a great paper punching and sight in load for my 450bm. I wish i could buy blemished powder, too. XTP is my favorite ML hunting bullet now that i cant find the Barnes Expanders in .40/45

In my Accura V2 I shoot a 250 grain XPB Barnes bullet while hunting but use the 250 XTPs to put holes in paper at the club. They're very close to each other in group size and point of impact. If I had to, I could hunt with the XTPs in the Accura and have full confidence in the load. And at muzzy speeds those XTPs are moving about twice as fast as a pistol application so they do a real number on a deer so shot placement can become a real issue.

I hunt with Barnes in every gun I have except I may use a 225 Fury .40 in the smokeless because its a bonded bullet. The copper bullets I think help to keep lead out of the woods and the copper bullets shoot lights out for me. They too can do a real number on a deer if shot placement is off. Like I stated, if I had to the XTP could be shot in a blink.

Good Q. I bought 4 boxes of those blems and they all looked fine to me.
I've bought Blems too in a cpl diff bullets, every once in a while one would have an obvious flaw in it, most of them, I could not tell them from the regular ones, including the Parkers. Bob has some damn nice Blems I must say.

They are a great paper punching and sight in load for my 450bm. I wish i could buy blemished powder, too. XTP is my favorite ML hunting bullet now that i cant find the Barnes Expanders in .40/45
I wish i could buy blemished powder, too ROFLMFAO
Whens the Blemished BH209 going on sale?

Is the 250gr XTP good for deer? I bought a 100ct box and 100 sabots to use as a plinking and exercising the BP guns. The 250gr XTP shoots a tight group with 777, better than the bullet I had planned on using. Would you use them on deer? Shots won't be more than 100.

I've shot the .357 180gr XTP and the 40 cal 200XTP. The .357 180gr XTP, I shot in my CVA Scout 357 Max pistol. Shot very well and killed with it. The 40 cal 200gr XTP, I shot in my CVA Scout conversion just to sight in the scope. I pretty much have gone to using Fury bullets in everything. I do like Barnes bullets but they are hard to find. If the 45 250 XTP are like the .357 180gr XTP, you should be ok.

Target.jpegThis is what I am getting at 100m with my Omega 50cal + 44cal 240gr XTP & 95gr 777 with a Harvester Chrush sabot. I'm also using FederaI muzzleloader primers which seem to work for me. I am not a the best shot so I'm super happy with these results.

Ai
View attachment 39431This is what I am getting at 100m with my Omega 50cal + 44cal 240gr XTP & 95gr 777 with a Harvester Chrush sabot. I'm also using FederaI muzzleloader primers which seem to work for me. I am not a the best shot so I'm super happy with these results.
Aint nuthin wrong with that group at all.

Can't beat a group like that. I shoot those same bullets in several of my guns with similar results as you. Most accurate bullets I've seen so far.
To be fair, the shots were all benched. I am definitely not the worlds best rifleman!! They were 3 shots over 3 days with an immaculate cold bore each time. I wanted to scope the gun in and map where the bullet is in the air out to 150m with the 1st shot in a clean rifle. At this point I am only a few clicks away from being 1 MOA on the bull at 100m. I still have work to do. The next project is mapping 2nd and third shots so I can understand more of the changing dynamics with a warm fouled bore. My experience so far is that the 2nd shot moves to the right and subsequent shots move down the target as temp and fouling build up.

I find that the XTP 240 gives amazing value with 100 bullets in a box and I'm tight!! 95gr 777 seems to be a sweet spot for me. 777 is my choice of powder because there is no BH209 in Canada right now and even if there was I am getting a lot more bangs for my buck with 777.

Latest posts

Back