Knight and LOP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
What's up with Knight and LOP? I have long monkey arms and need a long LOP to be comfortable and not bang my thumb on my nose. I've been looking at the Knight rifles with my thoughts drifting to an UL since you guys praise it so much. Look at the LOP on these rifles.

Ultra- Lite.................13.50"

Mountaineer
Straight stock........13.25
Thumbhole.............13.75

Disc Extreme..........14.25

Wolverine................14.25

So, all that will fit me are the cheaper models. I don't get it? Why wouldn't they use the same LOP for all the guns? The Mountaineer doesn't even use the same LOP for both stocks offered.

I think i'd jump on an UL if the LOP was at least 14". 14.50 "would be better but I can deal with 14". The price seems down now at $750. Weren't they $900 before? I can normally extend the LOP with a thick recoil pad but the UL already has one. It looks like a Pachmayr.

You can say what you want about the Vision, but for only $200 it's hard to beat. That tried and true Green Mountain barrel, and the latest version even had the Nitride finish as well. The Knight quality and American-made makes it an awesome deal. Heck it even comes with the scope base and the "correct" breech plug-the 209 bare primer plug. No full plastic jackets to deal with. It's an entry-level price but this is not an entry-level muzzleloader guys.

For someone on a bare bones budget looking for a muzzleloader they need to be taking a HARD look at the Vision.

Last edited:
$200+$45 shipping for a 4140cm barreled ML. Not sure they still have them in Nitride. The description also lists Cerakote but if im not mistaken they do ship with a FPJ plug. The pic is wrong.
Vision Freedom Break Action Muzzleloader:

• 209 Full Plastic Jacket Ignition System
  • Barrel Finish: 4140 Alloy Hand Crafted Cerakoted Barrel
  • Ram Rod: Standard Aluminum Ramrod

Good deal for someone that likes a larger American made rifle. Just get a bare primer plug when ordering it and you got a pretty solid rifle.

Yeah I just looked at their site and I stand corrected on the breech plug. I guess they are shipping them with the full plastic jacket plug again. I remember at one point they were coming with the bare primer plug. I guess that's where the picture comes from. But yeah, at that price it's still a very solid rifle!

The Disc Extreme is as cheap as i'd want to go but it's way too heavy. Good for recoil but lousy to carry.

$200+$45 shipping for a 4140cm barreled ML. Not sure they still have them in Nitride. The description also lists Cerakote but if im not mistaken they do ship with a FPJ plug. The pic is wrong.
Vision Freedom Break Action Muzzleloader:

• 209 Full Plastic Jacket Ignition System
  • Barrel Finish: 4140 Alloy Hand Crafted Cerakoted Barrel
  • Ram Rod: Standard Aluminum Ramrod

Good deal for someone that likes a larger American made rifle. Just get a bare primer plug when ordering it and you got a pretty solid rifle.
How does the firing pin get cleaned or does it? Take down?

Trigger group comes out with 1 screw i think. That should make cleaning the internals easier.

I watched that video trigger group not a problem, nothing about the firing pin. The screw in front of the trigger guard appears to remove the barrel release, not sure. I would have to see one in person before getting this rifle and/or see the owners manual on firing pin removal.

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant to put a permanent pad on. Which is already has. Not a fan of a slip on pad. Especially, over another pad. I'd rather poke myself in the nose. :)

I could wear a shoulder pad but i've done that in the past and they're a pain. I thought of sewing one into a hunting shirt but never got around to trying it. The problem with those pads is they don't want to stay in place. Sewing it on would cure that but i'd have to always wear the same shirt. We have to wear a blaze orange vest and I could sew it into that. That's the best fix I can come up with.

The UL stock is made by Bell and Carlson. I'm pretty sure those are made using standard CF Lop. I think that stock is more or less from one of the molds used for one of the CF models, just the inletting and block is for the UL.

Companies like Pachmayr and Kick Eez Make spacers that can be inserted between pad and stock then ground to match the pad. There are some pads that add about 1 1/2" thick but I think most are grind to fit. Those could be options to lengthen Lop.

Kick Eez Stock Spacer 1/2 Black (midwayusa.com)

My good friend was a gunsmith here in my small town. He died a couple of years ago. He could have fitting the spacer for me. I don't have a way to do it. A spacer was my first though.

Just to make sure. Would someone with an UL measure the LOP for me. Thanks.

I'm looking seriously at the Disc Extreme. It has the LOP I want, GM barrel, Timney trigger, Dyna Tek coating, Easton carbon ramrod, straight stock that will work left handed, and on sale for $350. It has the same 200yd accuracy guarantee.

At 8.5lbs I can shoot open sights comfortably and it comes with the open sights too. It seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Am I thinking wrong? The UL is twice the price, way more recoil, and the wrong LOP. I just wish the wood stock that the Mountaineer uses was offered on the Disc Extreme. Although the LOP would be wrong if it was.

Back