Knight and LOP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking seriously at the Disc Extreme. It has the LOP I want, GM barrel, Timney trigger, Dyna Tek coating, Easton carbon ramrod, straight stock that will work left handed, and on sale for $350. It has the same 200yd accuracy guarantee.

At 8.5lbs I can shoot open sights comfortably and it comes with the open sights too. It seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Am I thinking wrong? The UL is twice the price, way more recoil, and the wrong LOP. I just wish the wood stock that the Mountaineer uses was offered on the Disc Extreme. Although the LOP would be wrong if it was.

Pete, the DISC Extreme is really a good rifle it would do everything you want.

You have another option if you want want it, You could contact (email) Justin at Knight and ask him about the price of a ULite but with the DISC Extreme stock instead of the Kevlar stock.

I watched a funny Youtube last night. This guy bought a new Ultra-Lite for an elk hunt in Colorado. He showed the unboxing and what he was going to shoot in it. He was going to use a 300gr bullet and BH. Keep in mind the gun has open sights on it to be Colorado legal. I said to myself he better not use too much powder.
Part two video showed him getting ready to shoot it for the first time. He had BH tubes that looked full of powder. He was proud he was going to use 120gr of BH. I said oh no, this will be ugly. 120gr of BH and a 300 gr bullet in a 6lb gun. He mounted the gun and pulled the trigger. The gun jumped completely out of his hands and looked like it might have banged him in the head. He didn't shoot it again in the video. :)

That was the first shot he ever too with a muzzleloader. I wonder if he ever took another one?

The gun jumped completely out of his hands and looked like it might have banged him in the head.

Sounds like the guy has probably never shot any rifle with heavy recoil if it jumped out of his hands.

Here was the worst from my 54-120
Nm3hRGi.png

This is the worst from my NULA 50.
82wM4et.png

ULite assuming its bare and 6lbs
KdwIdEE.png

Last edited:
The worst recoiling gun i've owned is a Win 70 in .458 mag. I bought it from a guy who hunted elephants. I bought it go to Alaska and work a gold claim on a small rive that my buddy had. If was way in the bush and he said it had a lot of grizzlies and they showed up almost everyday. I talked to an Alaskan guide who told me he used a .458 to stop a charging Grizzly against his clients. This was in 1972 and I don't know what they use now.

Anyway, the gun was a kicker and knocked my hat off the first time I shot it with a 500gr bullet. I had a lot of grizzly encounters but never had to kill one........................................................................... Rifle weight......Recoil Energy....Recoil Velocity

458 Win. Mag. (500 at 2100)9.062.321.1

Last edited:
My uncle had a old Ithaca Ultralight with a lousey recoil pad on it. That thing would rattle you senseless.

You can say what you want about the Vision, but for only $200 it's hard to beat. That tried and true Green Mountain barrel, and the latest version even had the Nitride finish as well. The Knight quality and American-made makes it an awesome deal. Heck it even comes with the scope base and the "correct" breech plug-the 209 bare primer plug. No full plastic jackets to deal with. It's an entry-level price but this is not an entry-level muzzleloader guys.

For someone on a bare bones budget looking for a muzzleloader they need to be taking a HARD look at the Vision.
I bought the Vision with bare primer BP a number of years ago. Flat black barrel and receiver. Camo stocks. I've said all along it's a marvelous gun. Shoots like crazy. 260 grn Hawk bullet,70 grns by WEIGHT Black Horn Federal 209A primer.

I'm looking seriously at the Disc Extreme. It has the LOP I want, GM barrel, Timney trigger, Dyna Tek coating, Easton carbon ramrod, straight stock that will work left handed, and on sale for $350. It has the same 200yd accuracy guarantee.

At 8.5lbs I can shoot open sights comfortably and it comes with the open sights too. It seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Am I thinking wrong? The UL is twice the price, way more recoil, and the wrong LOP. I just wish the wood stock that the Mountaineer uses was offered on the Disc Extreme. Although the LOP would be wrong if it was.

IMHO, this will be a great option for you Muley. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck, and much easier on the wallet. Plus it fits you better... will handle the recoil better, and they aren't that heavy to lug around with a good strap. The Knights all shoot well, that's never a concern.

IMHO, this will be a great option for you Muley. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck, and much easier on the wallet. Plus it fits you better... will handle the recoil better, and they aren't that heavy to lug around with a good strap. The Knights all shoot well, that's never a concern.
It does seem to be great option for Muley, the Extreme is a tremendous value at that price, imo. I've been tempted to order one myself, but I do not need another muzzleloader. Do I WANT it?? Yes. Do I NEED it?? Absolutely not. At least that's what I keep telling myself..... 😉

My uncle had a old Ithaca Ultralight with a lousey recoil pad on it. That thing would rattle you senseless.

That's funny. My dad had the same gun. I was brought up in Mass and the law was a shotgun for deer. Dad used a slug in the Ithaca and I shot it a few times as a kid. I told dad you can use the shotgun and i'll use the longbow. That longbow didn't kick at all.

Here's me as a kid with my deer hunting longbow.

Attachments

• 20150518124112867_00012_zpsq01lvpos.jpg
    20150518124112867_00012_zpsq01lvpos.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back