Loads for Heavier bullets in a 45/70 conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone shoot 350-400 gr bullets in their conversion gun? I see plenty of loads for up to 325gr but not much heavier, except for cartridge loads. Im going to shoot 350 and 400 aluminum pointed bullets from Northern Custom. Looks like a Pittman, Parker or Fury bullets. I have been trying to find 10x and Reloder7. I have imr4198, n120, n110, 5744, sr4759, and several different shotgun powders. Any loads that are working well for you?

Muzzy, I have a can of Herters 103. Should be close to reloader7. Price is right if you want it.
Ive never heard of that one but would like to try it out if its close to RL7.

I'm not sure what pressures you can run yours up to but in my Marlin 1895 I'm using Varget or 3031 with my 435 grain cast bullets
Cool thx. I will def give those two a look in QL. Ive seen them both in stock locally, too.

I think I would stay away from the fast powders with that heavy of a bullet. Pushing those bullets at any type of ’fast’ speed sounds like a punishing load. Just curious, why such a heavy bullet with a 45-70 conversion?
I dont really care about high speed. Just something that gives me good accuracy and a 200+(300max) range. Without having to shoot bh209.

Okay, I don't have a dog in this hunt but I've got to ask what is the goal of shooting screaming death loads out of a muzzleloader? I have touched off such things in cartridge form from both a Marlin 45/70 and Handi rifle and the bruises didn't go away for 6 weeks. Besides a full grown buffalo or Northern brown bear, not much can hold up to the venerable 405 grain factory, Trap door safe round. You even get to keep your shoulder shooting those.

Okay, I don't have a dog in this hunt but I've got to ask what is the goal of shooting screaming death loads out of a muzzleloader? I have touched off such things in cartridge form from both a Marlin 45/70 and Handi rifle and the bruises didn't go away for 6 weeks. Besides a full grown buffalo or Northern brown bear, not much can hold up to the venerable 405 grain factory, Trap door safe round. You even get to keep your shoulder shooting those.
I dont know about any screaming death loads. I simply want to shoot heavier bullets. As i stated, “i dont care about high speeds”, i just want to do the same with smokeless that i do with Blackhorn. There have to be plenty of other powders that will give similar performance, with the bullets that i want to shoot, with out the insane price tag… not that i owe anyone an explanation if i did want to shoot screaming death loads, btw.

Back