Loads for Heavier bullets in a 45/70 conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H322 is a hard one to find. If you have a Scheels up there they have been carrying the Vihtavuori powders there lately

Hopefully not as cold over there as it is here today for you. Minus 60 windchill for us

Some of these powders you might find in 458Win mag with lighter bullets but probably not full case loads and the 458Win is rated for much higher pressures too. 450Marlin is just about right but more case volume would make guesstimates easier.

Most guys using powders slower than 4198 are more into the 300-325gr boomer loads and it takes a fair mount of powder to get there.

Varget will get up there as well but the slower the powder the more inefficient it gets. Thus more powder to get equal velocity at a lower pressure. So since recoil has a 1.5 multiple with powder weight, recoil increases exponentially. That's the trade off.

Seems like a some of the powders that would be good with a heavy weight bullet are also popular with the guys reloading small cal light bullets?
When i get a new mold made for a 45-340i with a gas check i going to be shooting those smokeless.

You might be able to shoot "hard cast" speed with low amounts of 5744. Doc did it. The load he mentioned was quite a bit less than MLII 5744 data. Sure seems like a 1500-1600fps hard cast load would be possible.

Hodgdons reloading shows about 35gr 5744 gets a 350gr moving around 1630fps. Since it does not state full case you could use a wool wad or two to create some air space????

458SOCOM data to reduce the case capacity.
https://hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

Last edited:
Noot much experience yet in heavy bullets out of a smokeless ml but I shoot 500 cast conicals out of my 1874 Pedersoli Sharps with great accuracy.
I will soon be trying .501" 440gr bullets out of one of my Rem 700MLs

Sr 4759 is pretty versatile, I'm going to try it with some heavy bullets once I get settled in a little bit more , I know that they don't make it anymore but I run into it from time to time if you find any, a few months back when I was shooting the 400 grain Fury bullets,I started with 36 gr imr 4198 worked my way up to 46 grains and stopped there now that was with a full shank number 17 barrel also on a begara Remington clone action, I did not get a really nice group until around 44 and 45 grains the light loads did shoot okay inch and a quarter but if I remember correctly 46 grains shot very well. I think sr4759 if you can find any would be very interesting again I'm going to find out. Michigan muzzy if I were you I would consider building a second rifle or getting a second barrel with a heavier barrel shank and do your load work up with that rifle- barrel and then drop your charge a little bit for the break action, I'm interested in heavy bullets and smokeless also but I want to continue to approach it very cautiously. It seems to me if you're shooting heavy lead you're not going to have to shoot as hot a load as I am with the jacketed bullets I'm shooting to get your bullet to swell properly,,, interesting stuff I think!!

And you are right to notice most of the powders that are used for 6br 6ppc Etc are worth taking a look at for these heavy bullet projects

I have a couple of 18 twist barrels, and a 16 on the way hopefully the next couple of years we can work up some heavy bullet loads I know one thing the bullets that Dennis made, the prototypes and also Northern precisions look beautiful I'm excited about both of them

Back