Loads for Heavier bullets in a 45/70 conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want just enough velocity to get the accuracy and bc potential ,, since some of this is Uncharted Territory I'm going to try my best to stay in the mild to medium load department and not push things I tend to stay in that mindset with all of my smokeless guns ,,400 grain bullet between 1600 and 2100 ft per second ,,,you know you won't one of those!

Sr 4759 is pretty versatile, I'm going to try it with some heavy bullets once I get settled in a little bit more , I know that they don't make it anymore but I run into it from time to time if you find any, a few months back when I was shooting the 400 grain Fury bullets,I started with 36 gr imr 4198 worked my way up to 46 grains and stopped there now that was with a full shank number 17 barrel also on a begara Remington clone action, I did not get a really nice group until around 44 and 45 grains the light loads did shoot okay inch and a quarter but if I remember correctly 46 grains shot very well. I think sr4759 if you can find any would be very interesting again I'm going to find out. Michigan muzzy if I were you I would consider building a second rifle or getting a second barrel with a heavier barrel shank and do your load work up with that rifle- barrel and then drop your charge a little bit for the break action, I'm interested in heavy bullets and smokeless also but I want to continue to approach it very cautiously. It seems to me if you're shooting heavy lead you're not going to have to shoot as hot a load as I am with the jacketed bullets I'm shooting to get your bullet to swell properly,,, interesting stuff I think!!
I do hve a 5? pound can of sr4759. No loads for it in my current version of QL tho. I suppose my 700 will handle the task of testing loads before i try them in the 45/70

I want just enough velocity to get the accuracy and bc potential ,, since some of this is Uncharted Territory I'm going to try my best to stay in the mild to medium load department and not push things I tend to stay in that mindset with all of my smokeless guns ,,400 grain bullet between 1600 and 2100 ft per second ,,,you know you won't one of those!
I was thinking similar. 1500-2000 range

After looking at QL til i nearly went blind i went to the range today and shot 320 grain maxi-hunters on a .030 card, 1/8” lubed wool wad and 50 gr of 2015. I don't have a chrony and only shot 20 shots at 25 and 50 yards but i was very happy with the grouping so far, very tight, and very reasonable recoil. QL says 1900ish fps. That stuff is dirtier than bh209 tho. Only one weak fire that I'm sure was my fault but don't know what i did, at 26*f. Looking at loads on QL, 2015 burns more completely under heavier bullets, which is good cuz next outing will be with some 345, 350 and 400s.

Back