Looking for First Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallagincustom

Reaction score
Hello I’ve decided to begin the search for my first muzzle loader. I have a few different ones I’m looking at.

Thinking of the CVA Accura 2 LR with a 30” barrel or Thompson Center Encore. The reason i would like the Encore is so i can buy more barrels and have more calibers to hunt with.

I was thinking of getting the SilencerCo at first, but after messaging Iraq8888 he recommends staying away from that for my first one.

I was also looking at the Remington Extreme Long Range but no sure if i need a bolt action versus the Inline.

As far as a scope goes, would either go with a Leupold or try and give the Burris Eliminator 3 a try. What do you guys think, or recommend. I want to keep the rifle under $1200 and my budget for scope is about $1500 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Looking for First Muzzleloader

One on this sight in classified , Knight Mountaineer, .45 1-20 twist already just add scope

hallagincustom said:
I was also looking at the Remington Extreme Long Range but no sure if i need a bolt action versus the Inline.

The Remington is an inline, If i were gonna spend that kind of money i would look at the Knight Ultra light, or Knight Mountainier.

Im not sure i would spend the extra money for the LR version of the CVA. That extra barrel length is virtually useless on a scoped rifle. Consider the standard Accura MR version instead in nitride.

Im not a big fan of Encores myself but there are some really nice aftermarket ML barrels for them. Both MGM and Bullberry make some sweet barrels for Encores. Buy the frame and stock set at someplace like HausOfArms or Buds instead of buying a complete rifle.

The Rem Ultimate is a CF rifle according to the ATF and cost more than a Rem700 in 308. They are a little proud of that rifle but its a great base for a custom build that can shoot much faster than a 4 pellet load. A couple vendors offer some very nice 45cal barrels and improved LRMP modules for them.

With your budget also consider the Knight Ultra Lite. It has a kevlar stock with bedding block and a Timney trigger. Weighs in at about 6lbs.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/knight-u ... l704b.html

[youtube]eEvSwwj5WeU[/youtube]

I have owned a truckload of fine rifles over the years (Buy, Sell, Trade) one of the biggest POS Rifles i ever owned was a brand new Encore in 7Mag. I didn’t trust break barrel designs when i bought the Encore, but decided to try, after buying that one it sealed it up for me that I’ll never own another one!

The only reason i would even consider an Encore is to build a custom with a fast twist 45cal barrel. ASG and Hankins both offer a 45cal Brux 1-20 for them but they aint cheap!!! Roughly $900 but its a sweet barrel made by MGM. Other MGM ML barrels are WAY cheaper but are only available in a 1-28 for 50 or 45.

The MGM Brux is nice simply because it uses the LRMP system and has more powder options. I think the other MGM barrels are made using Green Mountain blanks and real BP/subs only. I think Bullberry uses Pacnor blanks in theirs but im not sure.

Well I guess there are a lot of different opinions, here is mine: I have been shooting muzzleloaders for 55 years shooting both competition and hunting. While a lot of people like bolt actions I find it difficult to understand using one in a muzzleloader as they take up length that could be used for barrel length and they add unnecessary weight. Also after seeing a number of complaints about Knights CS I would think very carefully about dealing with them. As far as the Encore goes I have two , one is an Endeavor which came out of the box shooting a minute of angle and one I bought parts and a custom 45 barrel for and they are my hunting guns. I have worked on them because I like to mod every gun I put +1 pins and spring kits in them. There are other good guns out there and CVA has come a long way from the junk the peddled back in the 70's. The one thought I would give you is get a steel receiver like the Encore has if you are going to switch in high power barrels the aluminum ones do not hold up as well not only does the recoil batter them the switching of barrels wears on them.
Also get something that fits your off hand shooting will suffer if you do not.

I would go with the Accura MR in blackout or original camo. Put a high quality scope on such as a Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x40 and you'll have a nice setup. Imho CVA'S are about the most forgiving gun on the market as far as load development.

Good used Knight Elite , Extreme or TC Omega would be my suggestion , just got my grandson a perfect Omega Z5 for 175.00 scoped. Solid rifle. As the Ml seasons end , lots of guns usually come up for sale.

I have owned a couple knights, a couple cva’s, a couple other brands and a couple TC’s.
In my opinion nothing compares for a hunter to a TC. For my money the best muzzeloader on the market is the Tc Prohunter XT. No other gun can do what it can do. The Tc 28in 50cal barrel comes with the TC Power Rod ramrod (it’s made for pointed bullets and has a t-handle) it also has the QLA muzzle that is a sabot hunters dream and the Speed Breech XT that you can turn 90 degrees and pull out by hand. Even the FlexTech stock actually works and helps. You can tell Greg Ritz is a hunter and this gun was designed especially for hunters.

But that’s only half of it. There is no gun on the market today with more aftermarket stuff or more customizable than a TC Encore Period!
I have 5 barrels for mine.
20in 460S&W
28in 22-250
28in 30/06
28in 50cal muzzeloader
21in MGM Custom 308

I haven’t played much with the 460 and 22-250 yet. But the 30/06 will shoot 3 bullets touching at 100yds. The 50cal muzzeloader will shoot under a 1in 3 shot group at 100yds. The MGM Custom 308 will just about shoot 1 ragged hole at 100yds.

You can get just about any caliber you can think of for the Encore from MGM and they are just barely higher than TC barrels.

The only probablem I had with my TC Prohunter was the factory trigger pull it was about 5lbs. It’s a relitively cheap and easy fix for the encore though. Now I have a trigger that breaks like glass at just under 2.5lbs.

WPrather said:
I have owned a couple knights, a couple cva’s, a couple other brands and a couple TC’s.
In my opinion nothing compares for a hunter to a TC. For my money the best muzzeloader on the market is the Tc Prohunter XT. No other gun can do what it can do. The Tc 28in 50cal barrel comes with the TC Power Rod ramrod (it’s made for pointed bullets and has a t-handle) it also has the QLA muzzle that is a sabot hunters dream and the Speed Breech XT that you can turn 90 degrees and pull out by hand. Even the FlexTech stock actually works and helps. You can tell Greg Ritz is a hunter and this gun was designed especially for hunters.

But that’s only half of it. There is no gun on the market today with more aftermarket stuff or more customizable than a TC Encore Period!
I have 5 barrels for mine.
20in 460S&W
28in 22-250
28in 30/06
28in 50cal muzzeloader
21in MGM Custom 308

I haven’t played much with the 460 and 22-250 yet. But the 30/06 will shoot 3 bullets touching at 100yds. The 50cal muzzeloader will shoot under a 1in 3 shot group at 100yds. The MGM Custom 308 will just about shoot 1 ragged hole at 100yds.

You can get just about any caliber you can think of for the Encore from MGM and they are just barely higher than TC barrels.

The only probablem I had with my TC Prohunter was the factory trigger pull it was about 5lbs. It’s a relitively cheap and easy fix for the encore though. Now I have a trigger that breaks like glass at just under 2.5lbs.

The QLA muzzle would be the end of deal for me before it got started! In my opinion they are absolute JUNK, LOTS N LOTS of guys have had their barrels Cut back to get rid of the QLA, and their barrel Re crowned. I have 2 TC Sidelock Barrels with QLA muzzles sitting here now that will eventually be going to Robert Hoyt to be Rebored to get Rid of the QLA.

I have way too many muzzleloaders, and All I want to shoot are Knights and Whites. even a few sav/pac, and rem/brux/krieger customs just dont get used anymore.

Idaholewis said:
WPrather said:
................The QLA muzzle would be the end of deal for me before it got started! In my opinion they are absolute JUNK, LOTS N LOTS of guys have had their barrels Cut back to get rid of the QLA, and their barrel Re crowned. I have 2 TC Sidelock Barrels with QLA muzzles sitting here now that will eventually be going to Robert Hoyt to be Rebored to get Rid of the QLA.

I've owned and shot Encore platform rifle since they came out, IIRC in "97". Short of me changing springs and hinge pins, every rifle shot better than MOA, even to 200+yds.

I think most of the problems with the QLA was because many wanted to shoot conicals from them, which the QLA DID cause a problem for. That's why many had it cut off and the barrel recrowned.

I honestly believe that there's likely not a new modern inline rifle made today, buy any manufacturer, that can't be a 100yd moa shooter, or even a 200yd shooter. We all know one is lucky to take one out of the box and start shooting moa right off the bat. It takes some work, practice and a steady hand.

OP- I just picked up my first muzzleloader and after much research I went with a CVA product. I was initially looking at an Accura, but I found a great deal on an Optima and couldn't pass it up. (Same internals as the Accura without the adjustable trigger, but the Optima trigger is spot on from factory. Same Bergara made stainless barrel as the Accura only without fine honing steps of the premium barrels.)

Got it shipped to me about a week and a half ago, sighted at the range, took my first deer with it on Christmas evening. My CVA shoots dead on at 100 yards and groups very well at 200 yards.

I went with the Nitride-coated barrel and strongly recommend it. Lifetime rust pitting warranty. You'd be pleased with either CVA model as CVA products are light-years ahead of where they were in the 90's.

ENCORE50A said:
Idaholewis said:
WPrather said:
................The QLA muzzle would be the end of deal for me before it got started! In my opinion they are absolute JUNK, LOTS N LOTS of guys have had their barrels Cut back to get rid of the QLA, and their barrel Re crowned. I have 2 TC Sidelock Barrels with QLA muzzles sitting here now that will eventually be going to Robert Hoyt to be Rebored to get Rid of the QLA.

I've owned and shot Encore platform rifle since they came out, IIRC in "97". Short of me changing springs and hinge pins, every rifle shot better than MOA, even to 200+yds.

I think most of the problems with the QLA was because many wanted to shoot conicals from them, which the QLA DID cause a problem for. That's why many had it cut off and the barrel recrowned.

I honestly believe that there's likely not a new modern inline rifle made today, buy any manufacturer, that can't be a 100yd moa shooter, or even a 200yd shooter. We all know one is lucky to take one out of the box and start shooting moa right off the bat. It takes some work, practice and a steady hand.

ENCORE50A, I have ZERO experience with Sabots, I am a conical bullet shooter. It seems like i read where guys were having good luck with Sabots and the QLA Muzzles, but a disaster with full bore Conical bullets. And if I remember correctly TC even claimed that their QLA muzzle was designed for Sabots as a way around the Conical problem? Hopefully Sabotloader, GM54-120 can enlighten on this

Idaholewis said:
ENCORE50A said:

ENCORE50A, I have ZERO experience with Sabots, I am a conical bullet shooter. It seems like i read where guys were having good luck with Sabots and the QLA Muzzles, but a disaster with full bore Conical bullets. And if I remember correctly TC even claimed that their QLA muzzle was designed for Sabots as a way around the Conical problem? Hopefully Sabotloader, GM54-120 can enlighten on this

Yup, I believe the major cause for problems with the QLA was when shooting conicals. ;)

I don’t hunt with conicals, I only shoot and hunt with sabots. I bought a modern Inline muzzeloader to shoot modern Inline bullets for hunting.

1. Power Rod Ramrod
2. QLA
3.Quick Release Breech Plug
4. FlexTech Stock

Do some reading and check all 4 of these things out. It sets TC apart from the rest. They all work and make TC the easiest cleaning and loading gun on the market. The FlexTech stock helps on magnum loads also.

All TC Guns have a $75 dollar mail in rebate right now also.

What’s nice about getting the Encore is i can also change out the barrel for a coyote rifle or centerfire deer rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knight Ultra-Lite is hands down the rifle I would choose. IMO, best non custom rifle S can buy.
And you have to get it in GREEN :mrgreen: :yeah:

Back