Looking for First Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Looking for First Muzzleloader

I just ordered a CVA Optima V2 SS now I have to pick out some powder

Its the rifle i almost always suggest as a first inline muzzleloader. Relatively cheap but not so cheap its garbage. I have a hard time recommending high dollar rifles to start unless the OP is familiar with the extra care needed in cleaning and preventing rust. The nitride version offers even more corrosion resistance and its on SS. Yeah you dont get an adjustable trigger but ive yet to see any complaints about them. All the ones ive handled and tried were more than adequate for a factory trigger.

My only big complaint is the BH209 plug is not standard. They should really offer all their rifles with a choice of plugs or make one plug that works for both.

Jay Shooter said:
I just ordered a CVA Optima V2 SS now I have to pick out some powder

Lots of choices in powder. For starting out with my new Optima, I went with Triple seven pellets 100 grain with Federal Bor Locks. Both get mixed reviews, but I was piling shots on top of one another at 100 yards and dropped a deer in it's tracks first time out. Easy to load, easy to manage, easy to clean.

Hey I use to be right there with the Tc Encore haters. I had a Encore when they first come out with a 50cal barrel and a 7mag barrel. I was swapping barrels back and forth and never happy with the accuracy I was getting. The 50cal was not good but acceptable but the 7mag wasn’t acceptable to me and I wasn’t happy with it so I sold it. I always was a bolt action rifle guy, the older Remington 700’s where my favorite gun. I still have 3 of them in the gun safe. I also have a Tikka and 2 Browning X-Bolts.

One thing I did always remember though was how the gun felt. Nothing to me shoulders, aims and feels as good as a thumbhole stock Tc Encore. So a couple years ago I started wanting another Tc Prohunter so I started reading all I could find out about them. I was looking at Bellim TC’s, SSK, Bullberry and MGM. I finally bought 1 and the first thing I did was send my frame to Bellim TC’s for a action and trigger job I think it cost right at $100 bucks by the time it’s was all done. Now he does sell the kits to do it yourself for 20-30 bucks. There is videos on YouTube showing you how to do it. Could I have done it myself, yes probably so. But I hunt with my son and he uses my guns also from time to time. I love the way the gun feels and plan on keeping it for awhile. So to me I could of done my first ever half ask job. Or spend a few extra bucks to have a master that has done multiple thousands of them and it was worth every penny. I also bought a set of oversized hindge pins and a lock down spring for my 28in Tc Prohunter 30/06 barrel. After I got the frame back and in stalled the spring in my barrel when I put the gun together it felt like a whole different gun. I have a trigger that breaks like glass at slightly under 2.5lbs. The first time you close the barrel and it snaps shut you can feal it. It’s solid no more pushing in and out the hinge pin with your fingers changing barrels now you have to tap it in and out with a mallet. I bought a couple boxes of cheap Winchester Deer Season XP ammo to shoot up because I didn’t have anything to reload 30/06 yet. With the cheap 150gr Winchester ammo it was consitantly grouping around a inch at 100yds. With my reloads now it will shoot 1/2 inch groups regularly and if I do my part it has shot 3 shot 100yd groups with all 3 shots touching. I also have a MGM 308 barrel now and with reloads it will make 1 ragged hole if you do your part. I picked up a 28in 50cal barrel about 3 weeks ago and it has shot a 3 shot group under 1in at 100yds with 250gr Hornady SST’s. This gun will shoot as good or better than any bolt action or any other gun I own.

My 2 Hunting buddy’s are also into the Tc Encore and Contender G2’s. Between the 3 of us we have 4 Prohunter frames and 3 G2 frames. Between rifle, muzzeloader and pistol we probably have 25-30 barrels. Can you get a barrel that won’t shoot as good as you like? Absolutely and it don’t matter what brand of gun you buy.

You have to start with a solid frame first it don’t matter if you have a Tc barrel or a custom barrel if you have any play in it it’s not going to shoot as good as it should. Look at the Brux custom .45 smokeless barrels I have seen 1 hole groups at 100yds posted off of them and they was shot out of a TC Encore frame.

GM54-120 said:
Its the rifle i almost always suggest as a first inline muzzleloader. Relatively cheap but not so cheap its garbage. I have a hard time recommending high dollar rifles to start unless the OP is familiar with the extra care needed in cleaning and preventing rust. The nitride version offers even more corrosion resistance and its on SS. Yeah you dont get an adjustable trigger but ive yet to see any complaints about them. All the ones ive handled and tried were more than adequate for a factory trigger.

My only big complaint is the BH209 plug is not standard. They should really offer all their rifles with a choice of plugs or make one plug that works for both.
I agree. I think the Optima V2 is the best value there is in an accurate, serious hunting muzzleloader. The non-adjustable trigger is very good and even though it doesn't have the Bergara branded barrel, it shoots just as well as the Bergara barrels on the Accuras. CVA says they ship the flat faced breech plug because most buyers shoot pellets and it's better for them but since the BH209 breechplug will ignite pellets fine, that's kind of a BS excuse. The thing I like best about the Accuras over the Optima is the soft touch stock but that has no impact on accuracy and is a personal choice if that's worth the higher price. The Optima thumbhole stock actually feels better to me when shouldered than the Accura thumbhole stock. They are not the same stock. The length of pull is a bit less on the Optima and it has a higher comb which I like better. Great rifles for the money and they can be found pretty inexpensively when on sale.

One more thing I forgot about that can make a Tc encore or any other rifle shoot good or bad is headspace. You can check head space with a spark plug feeler gauge on a TC and it should be around .003. You can adjust the headspace with the shoulder on the case and your resizing die. One of my buddies had a 24in 7mm-08 barrel that was off to much to adjust for and sent it back to TC. TC checked it out and sent him a new barrel. That’s something that’s not often checked when people swear the gun just won’t shoot.

Its not a bird or a plane and it didn't even start out as a ML but it is now. You can have one of these built for around $600 with a 209 plug or around $700 with a LRMP module system. SS frame and barrel too. Optima V2 TH stock is supposed to fit as well.

Scout V2 45/70 converted to a 45cal fast twist muzzleloader. Includes removable muzzle brake also. It will shoot 45x40 sabots (without brake), conicals and sabotless jacketed.
400YhZ8.jpg

I always notice all of the different load combinations that work with the Optima. That's why I believe it's a great choice for the beginner. It isn't fussy and not likely to lead to frustration. Once a shooter is more experienced is the time to move on to other types of guns.

hallagincustom said:
Hello I’ve decided to begin the search for my first muzzle loader. I have a few different ones I’m looking at.

Thinking of the CVA Accura 2 LR with a 30” barrel or Thompson Center Encore. The reason i would like the Encore is so i can buy more barrels and have more calibers to hunt with.

I was thinking of getting the SilencerCo at first, but after messaging Iraq8888 he recommends staying away from that for my first one.

I was also looking at the Remington Extreme Long Range but no sure if i need a bolt action versus the Inline.

As far as a scope goes, would either go with a Leupold or try and give the Burris Eliminator 3 a try. What do you guys think, or recommend. I want to keep the rifle under $1200 and my budget for scope is about $1500 or so.

I shoot a 50 cal. Thompson Strike. I installed a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 on it and I like this combination a lot. The range of zoom works well here in Michigan's terrain. On the range, I can easily get tight patterns exactly where I want them at 200 yards or less. It is a consistent and straight-shooting combination for me.

I can order a custom MGM barrel any time I want for my TC Prohunter XT. I can get just about any caliber I want from 22 long rifle to 600 nitro express, pistol or rifle.

Stainless rifle barrels $395
Stainless pistol barrels up to 13in $295 and 13 1/2in - 15 3/4ins $325

Thant’s pretty dang cheap for a new custom barrel in what ever caliber that I decide I need to play with now.

Can any other muzzeloader do that?

Can any other muzzeloader do that?

Sorta.

Savage or Stevens short action. All you need is some gauges and the barrel nut wrench. Both 209 bolt heads and .473 bolt face ignition systems are available. ML barrels start at around $420

Something similar can also be done with a Rem700 action but im unaware of a 209 system for them. Its .473 LRMP only as far as i know. Remage CF barrels can be had very affordably from Northland. http://northlandshooterssupply.com/matc ... on-remage/

Remage ML barrels though will set you back around $900 or more.

Funny,I own 3 Encore frames and lots of barrels for them.(but not truck loads) They all shoot great for me. Some needed a little more work than others to get them sighted in. My Omegas and TC side locks are also keepers. I also own several Whites they also shoot great as everyone knows.
In the past I have owned other brand ML's that didn't quite fit me and couldn't get to shoot well. They all got sold. With that said, I will not mention the name brands let alone call them ''junk'' or "POS" on an open forum to risk offending probably 75% of you guys. But hey, that's just me.

I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI 209 primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold bullet with their black crushed rib sabot using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion.

Hard to beat a CVA MR in Nitride. Find a used Zeiss Conquest 3x9 for around $300 and you have a nice setup for about $750.

Latest posts

Back