Need Advice on a Coyote Gun (moved from help forum)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyzink

Reaction score
I just purchased a used Browning A-Bolt Medallion 22-250. I need to outfit it for yote hunting. I would appreciate any and all advice for scope, bases and rings, bullets etc. I am willing to spend up to $500 on a scope but would prefer to stay at or below $400. Also I do not have the time or desire to reload shells so what would be a good store bought shell to buy? Brand, bullet weight etc? THANKS

On my 22-250 I have a 6 - 24 Bausch and Lomb 4200 Elite(Same as the Bushnell 4200 Elite). It features a 1/4 minute target dot. Mine was bought here about 6 years ago and cost just over $500, but that was in Canadian funds. Don't know what they are now. It's ideal for range work and works out to longer ranges. I used to shoot gophers out to 200 yds with no problem. As far as bullets, can't help you there. I hand load mine and have never bought factory ammunition.

billyzink said:
I just purchased a used Browning A-Bolt Medallion 22-250. I need to outfit it for yote hunting. I would appreciate any and all advice for scope, bases and rings, bullets etc. I am willing to spend up to $500 on a scope but would prefer to stay at or below $400. Also I do not have the time or desire to reload shells so what would be a good store bought shell to buy? Brand, bullet weight etc? THANKS

I've got an A-Bolt. I have Leupold two piece dual dovetail bases and dual dovetail Leupold rings on it. Nice solid foundation for mounting a scope. Unless you plan a lot of long range shooting, something in the line of a 3.5x10 or 4.5x14 scope should fit the bill nicely foy 'yotes. Since you don't reload, I'd try a box of Hornady's 55 gr. V-max (Item #8337).
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_se...&category_id=c059a48cf9e0bffec5717a143c780856
Good luck with the new gun!

I've got an A-Bolt. I have Leupold two piece dual dovetail bases and dual dovetail Leupold rings on it.

That's exactly what I'd get. I've had a lot of great scopes for less than $500.00. An EXCELLENT choice would be a Weaver V-16. 4X for close shots and 16X for long shots and range work! I've owned several....it would be hard to beat. If you think you can deal with 6X on the low end...the Nikon Monarch 6-20 is an AWESOME scope. It'll give any scope in its magnification range a run for its money and you can get a good buy on it right now..

As far as bullets go..you need to find out what the rifle likes. I'd first clean the crap out of it with Sweets, Butchs, or Barnes copper remover. Clean the crap out of it from one end to the other. You'll need to get about three different kinds of ammo to try. So much ammo is HIGH these days...I'd probably start out with a box of Winchester gray boxed varmint ammo(45gr HP) and Remington Express 55gr PSP and see how they shoot. If they just don't shoot accurately, go to the Hornady Custom, Remington Premier, or Federal V-Shock.

Thanks Guys, I think I am either going with a Leupold Vari X 111 3.5-10x50MM or that new Sightron Big Sky ( if I can be patient enough to wait till the end of Feb for the Big Sky to come available) Any thoughts on these two? Also a local gun dealer tried to sell me some Leupold Standard bases and rings today, said they were better than the dovetails, asked him why and he had no reply. (maybe because thats all he had on hand?) What is the difference between the standards and the dovetails? THANKS

Man, you definitely can't go wrong with the Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50mm for a 'yote gun for sure. I've got a couple of them and they are excellent scopes.
The Leupold standard bases have a dovetail front base and a windage adjustable rear base with the screws that hold the rear ring onto the base. I'd go with the dual dovetail setup, it's a much stronger, rock solid scope mounting system.

Latest posts

Back