Newbie Scope Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doglvrdexter

Reaction score
Hello All...I am very new to the muzzleloader game and this is my first post on this forum. Hope I didn't mess up (again) as I sent a message awhile ago but it didn't appear to show up on the posts. Anywho, here goes. Just purchased my very first muzzleloader - a CVA Optima Pro. For what little I know, I like it a lot but admittedly haven't fired it a lot yet. I am from Kansas which has an early muzzleloader season in Spetember. Non-magnifying scopes are allowed - no power scopes and no lasers. Was wondering if any of you all had experience with red dot scopes. As I am a complete rookie here, any advice is welcome. Thanks!!!

red dot scopes not for me

I have tried the red dot scopes, In fact I still have one. I personally don't care for them, but to each his own. If its the law I guess a person will get use to it. I could never stay on target with it on my sks. Never used it on a muzzleloader before I'm brand new to this myself, but I have no use for it. To my knowledge there is no scope restriction here.

I've used them on pistols and slug guns. They worked for me at the time I used them. I would think that would be a good alternative for you in your situation.

Nebraska too has the same 1X law that kansas has.

By all means IF you can afford it I HIGHLY reccommend purchasing an Aimpoint Red-dot. They are pricey, but miles above the competition.

If that is too expensive, you might give Millett a try. I have never looked through one of thier red-dots, BUT they are they only other red-dot I know that advertises to be totally parralax free. In other words, you do not have to center the red-dot.

Not sure if you familar with red-dots, but with most of them you must center the dot in the scope in order to be "on target". This is really a guessing game because thier is no markings in the scope to tell you where the center is. Usually this isn't a problem unless you have to take a fast shot (ask my wife about that one)

As for 1X scopes I have personally owned 2 different brands ( simmons, T/C) and looked thru a couple of others. I have found them all to be unworthy of hunting situations. The make the target look considerably smaller and the light transmission is horrible. I can see animals MUCH better with open fiber optic sights at dusk and dawn than I can with those pieces of crap.

My wife uses an aimpoint on her gun and I use open fiber optic sights. I still prefer the open sights over her aimpoint and can personally see deer a little better with my open sights during those early morning/late evening minutes.

BUT if you hate open sights, or never learned to shoot with them, like my wife (big mistake on my part there) then I would reccommend a red-dot.

Aimpoint or Bushnell Holo-sight are the only two I would recommend.

some good comment's for you to think about here.

My 2 cents. I use a Nikon v s d variable size dot I love this scope 1 moa
3,6 and ten. 30mm tube. cost about $275. The 1moa dot is smaller than the Bushnell 1 moa great for target. I hunt with the 3 moa.
When cross hairs can no longer be seen at sunset I get to hunt longer.
if I can see my target I can put the dot on it. Great light gathering.
yes you have to center the dot. I got use to it quickly. It happens automatically Like a peep sight. great for two eyes open.
Got one on my shotgun. flushed two birds got them both. boom, boom.
My wife uses a 3moa dot I think it's a Millet. About 100$ her dot floats
don't have to center it. she loves it. I kinda like them both. But favor the Nikon, they both hold zero. go to midway USA look up the Nikon and read the reviews. Just my opinion here.

Gray Wolf

Dexter I too hunt Kansas in the Sept muzzleloader season. I am not aware that Kansas now allows even 1X or no power scopes in that season. I read it as the only sights allowed are open or peep sights and that fiber optics are legal. Maybe something has changed for this year that I am not aware of but I just looked at their website and do not read the reg as posted as allowing a sight other than what I posted above.

That is not the big problem though the hordes of bugs are the big problem hunting Kansas in sept. They are just plain baaaad. One needs a two shot muzzleloader. One to shoot a hole through the skeeters and gnats and one to shoot the deer. Last Sept I hunted for two weeks when it was not thundering and pouring rain ( didn't appreciate sitting in a tree with a gunpowder filled lightning rod in my hands), and never saw an antler. Saw a few does and got one but the bucks were nowhere to be found. What with the ticks, chiggers skeeters gnats and temps in the 90s some days it is a tough time to hunt.

doglvrdexter said:
Hello All...I am very new to the muzzleloader game and this is my first post on this forum. Hope I didn't mess up (again) as I sent a message awhile ago but it didn't appear to show up on the posts. Anywho, here goes. Just purchased my very first muzzleloader - a CVA Optima Pro. For what little I know, I like it a lot but admittedly haven't fired it a lot yet. I am from Kansas which has an early muzzleloader season in Spetember. Non-magnifying scopes are allowed - no power scopes and no lasers. Was wondering if any of you all had experience with red dot scopes. As I am a complete rookie here, any advice is welcome. Thanks!!!

Dex, I also shoot a a CVA Optima. I love it! Affordable and simple. I just put a red dot on mine too and posted a question about in the Optics message board. I've heard they do well on them, but am still looking for more opinions on it. If you hear any other feedback, let me know. Good luck. Thanks.

I have a freind that hunted in Kansas this last season and as of then the only time they allow a scope on a ML is during the reg firearms season. He talked to the game and parks personaly about it.

Ok I did some checking on this subjct for you guys. In the regular season for ML it does not say anything about not being able to use a scope. In the Early season it comes out and explains that the use of a scope cannot be used because there is one plane, you have to have a front and rear sight,except with mill dot scopes. It is on their website-www.kdwp.state.ks.us I hope this helps.

I recommend using quick release base for any mz scope; it's easy to take the optics off when you give the barrel a bath. Or go to a state where you can't use a scope.

IMHO

Latest posts

Back