Of course....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I used my buck tag on a smaller one yesterday. Then this nice ten and another brutish buck showed up at 4:05 this afternoon to pester me.

ZtFCfst.jpg

Oh no!!! Well I guess just enjoy watching them.

The tines and beams on this guy are bone white. I could see them coming from a long way off and after he wandered into some dense buckbrush I could still follow them. Tine height isn't really that long but the symmetry of the rack is very even. What was impressive in seeing the buck up fairly close was his body size. Another very large buck accompanied this one and had a slightly shorter body length but was much stockier and the antlers were weird: one side a very nice 5 point but the other side all gnarly with lots of short tines that laid helter skelter. Must have had an injury to the antler while it was young in growth or an injury to the head/skull at one time that affects antler development.

Both of these deer walked right over, and I mean directly on top of, the gut pile from the buck I took yesterday. Nary a bit of indifference or concern. The one shown here actually stopped and smelled the pile.

Both of the bucks mentioned here offered perfect pistol shots several times as they passed thru stopping every twenty feet or so for twenty to 30 seconds before moseying on.

Here's another shot of this beauty...

8DgwlZN.jpg

We have a moto with my team.
If you shoot the ok buck, you'll never get a chance at THE ONE.
You must wait for it before to pull the trigger.

First of all, congrats on filling your tag. Then, LOL! Nice looking buck. Hopefully he will survive until next season.

This sort of thing happened to me two years in a row. I bagged a smaller buck and while I'm field dressing it, a MUCH larger buck shows up and watches me. Are you kidding!?!

I'm a sausage guy and all of my deer goes into sausage or cut muscle jerky. I might save a few chops but not as a rule. Antlers are nothing to me but wall ornaments and I'm running out of wall space so smaller heads are fine. The younger buck will fill the sausage need but I can still take two un-antlered animals for jerky and the mountain is over-run with button bucks and I plan to take two of them for that purpose. Next year it'll be right back to too many deer up there.

I'm a sausage guy and all of my deer goes into sausage or cut muscle jerky. I might save a few chops but not as a rule. Antlers are nothing to me but wall ornaments and I'm running out of wall space so smaller heads are fine. The younger buck will fill the sausage need but I can still take two un-antlered animals for jerky and the mountain is over-run with button bucks and I plan to take two of them for that purpose. Next year it'll be right back to too many deer up there.

Well if you ever have the problem of too many big bucks I guess I could take one for the team and hunt one for you. No need to thank me I'm just a generous kind of guy 😁

Back