Omega/Encore Replacement BP's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I am thinking the new ones (replacement plugs) may be a better plug (longer lasting) than the originals...

I have been modifying these plugs for several years to be more compliant with BH and with the installation of a Vent Liner. Once you get this done your one plug will last a life time...

I just completed the modification yesterday to a plug and it really seems to me that the last to modifications I have done have become a bit more difficult because the metal in the BP seems to be harder - probably tempered to a greater degree.

For myself it take a combination of drill bits to accomplish the project. I start with an 1/8" drill to align the the plug to the drill press with that I drill through the current flash hole. In the case of the last two plugs I had to use a new sharp hi-speed bit to get through + use a drilling oil. After that I remove the 1/8" and go to a #21 drill bit for tapping the new plug to fit the Vent Liner. Again the same experience it took more effort than I remember before and the oil was a necessity to keep the heat down.

Once that is done - flip the plug and use a mill end to make the seat for the Vent Liner. All of these drilling processes are not as easy as they have been in the past. I really believe the metal is harder in these new plugs.

Those of that are purchasing replacement Omega/Encore BP's for your rifles - I believe you are going to see a longer life with these new plugs...

Modification Process

Thats actually good information. I used to wear those plugs out pretty fast. Smith and Wesson must be doing the right thing and making better quality breech plugs. I hope CVA and Knight do this as well.

Back