Powder measure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m sorry for the dumb question, but in loading 100gr of loose 777 is it measured by weight or volume? This will be my first time with loose powder, I’ve shot 777 pellets in my encore 50cal. For a long time.?

Generally by volume using a simple volume measuring device. Lots of them available, just google black powder measure. You can do T7 by weight too, just use about 30% less than the volume amount. Example: 100 grains by volume, loose = 70 grains by weight. Help?

Blackpowder and blackpowder substitutes are loaded by volume ONLY.
To do otherwise is not needed.
Only 50% of the blackpowder and blackpowder substitute is ignited anyway.
BP is not very efficient..

No dumb questions here my friend.
I've been muzzleloading for a long time now and have always measured my powder by volume, which has worked well for me in the deer woods.
I think that all long range muzzleloader shooters measure by weight for the best consistency possible.
Whichever way is a good way.
The premise is (WRONG) ,because you measure by volume does not mean correct in measurement , this is not horse shoes if accuracy counts you weight ! Anything else is convenience cause you are not using pre measured tubes . Maybe stick the ball in hand and cover with powder guess that works for some too !! But accuracy is measured in weight , try competing with volume and lose , just pointing out the obvious cause if it didn't matter everyone would be guestimating ! /Ed

I think that all long range muzzleloader shooters measure by weight for the best consistency possible.
Whichever way is a good way.
I think anyone wanting to be as exact as possible with their charges will weigh.

As to the incomplete burning of the powder charge….. if the charge and bullet are properly packed and loaded it’s not likely to burn incomplete unless one has grossly overloaded the gun. Round ball, sidekick shooters are most likely to encounter such an issue and those issues are easily taken care of by changing ball diameter or patch thickness. This is the 21 st century and unburied powder problems were resolved maybe a century ago.

I don't know diddly about nutten. Say you had a measure made from a deer antler & you drilled it out so it was 45 gr of T7-3f volume. If you use anything else the measure will not throw true. In the real world if you are a few grs up or down, it's not going to ruin your day at the range or hunt. When i go to nit picking for load accuracy i go to my scale & weigh each charge. Same with my projectile they will be the same weight or it's not going down the bore. For me that is more paper punching, open sights on a traditional if i keep my rounds in a palm size group i call it a dead deer. There are many that think i am goofy. I used to live on the range i shot many a group with my small bores at a hunderd that were less than a 1/4". Now i am enjoying my shooting & at my age it's all cool beans !

Say you had a measure made from a deer antler & you drilled it out so it was 45 gr of T7-3f volume. If you use anything else the measure will not throw true.

FALSE

Every powder measured using the deer antler would have the same volume measure.

However, every powder measured would have a different weight.

So you are politely saying i am wrong. Lets how bad my gray matter is. Look at each powder kernel size. The smallest is T7-3f, next is T7-2f then black 3f n 2f. Yes the weights will be different the volume throw will be also. Due to the kernel size each being different. Explain your thoughts

FALSE

Every powder measured using the deer antler would have the same volume measure.

However, every powder measured would have a different weight.
So it's not false ,different powder gets different measure but if your doing volume it is a general measure , precise is weighed hence accuracy is enhanced and you get the win if you shoot as good as you weight/Ed

The premise is (WRONG) ,because you measure by volume does not mean correct in measurement , this is not horse shoes if accuracy counts you weight ! Anything else is convenience cause you are not using pre measured tubes . Maybe stick the ball in hand and cover with powder guess that works for some too !! But accuracy is measured in weight , try competing with volume and lose , just pointing out the obvious cause if it didn't matter everyone would be guestimating ! /Ed
Measuring my powder by volume is the only method I've used for about the last 50 years or so. I suppose I consider myself more of a traditionalist, meaning in the way of the early frontiersmen.
I'm certainly no competition shooter, just a deer hunter. I'm not a bad shot either.
I'd like to pick up a scale one of these days, I'm quite sure I could find improvement in my marksmanship.

So you are politely saying i am wrong. Lets how bad my gray matter is. Look at each powder kernel size. The smallest is T7-3f, next is T7-2f then black 3f n 2f. Yes the weights will be different the volume throw will be also. Due to the kernel size each being different. Explain your thoughts

The deer antler measure works by one filling the hole one drilled into the antler with the powder one wishes to measure. All/every powder being measured are measured by the same hole. This hole determines the volume of the powder. Hence all powder measured by the drilled antler will have the same volume. This seems self-explanatory.

I’m going to try and premeasure and weigh my charges at the range next time and see. I have been debating this a while it may save powder, which isn’t cheap.

The volume remains constant as the size of the hole you are filling with powder doesn’t change.

The density of the powder, due to shape size of the kernels pack more efficiently together, so 2f and 3f will weigh different with the same volume of powder.

Back