Powder measure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally by volume using a simple volume measuring device. Lots of them available, just google black powder measure. You can do T7 by weight too, just use about 30% less than the volume amount. Example: 100 grains by volume, loose = 70 grains by weight. Help?
Thats' what I do.....also, there is no such thing as a dumb question. That's a large part of what this forum is for. So we can all help each other out if needed!

So you are politely saying i am wrong. Lets how bad my gray matter is. Look at each powder kernel size. The smallest is T7-3f, next is T7-2f then black 3f n 2f. Yes the weights will be different the volume throw will be also. Due to the kernel size each being different. Explain your thoughts
Let's try this comparison. The antler horn hole only holds so much of anything by volume. Filled with baking flour, the weight of what's in the hole is much less than say the hole is filled with tungsten flour. See the difference? Thhe hole is static as is the volume of the hole. What goes in the hole can vary in weight.

I’m sorry for the dumb question, but in loading 100gr of loose 777 is it measured by weight or volume? This will be my first time with loose powder, I’ve shot 777 pellets in my encore 50cal. For a long time.?
For now just get a volume measure and work up a load that groups well .I think 90grns of loose will be about the same as 2 pellets.

OT,
You are developing a shotgun load. Not a rifle , patched, sabot or bore rider load. A different animal for sure. While there is data for loading shot shells ;and that data is a story in itself, there's not a whole lot of info on ML shotgun loading as there is a rifled bore. I say this especially when it comes to TSS.
As a turkey hunter we ( most I dare say ) are after that tight pattern delivering a killer load.
So in my answer to your question you'll have to experiment and develops what works for you.
As to a measure.
Take a volume measure and the volume you wish to use.
Make five - ten of those charges. Consistently. Then weigh each one. Average the amount. For that volume and that propellant that will be measured weighed charge. Change volume or propellant,,,repeat the process.
As for me I've worked on over 60 different TK load combinations. Forty initially to get a turkey load. And since then have refined.
And have nailed some dandy birds.

So you are politely saying i am wrong. Lets how bad my gray matter is. Look at each powder kernel size. The smallest is T7-3f, next is T7-2f then black 3f n 2f. Yes the weights will be different the volume throw will be also. Due to the kernel size each being different. Explain your thoughts

Volume is defined by the container, not the stuff filling it

3 cc (or ml if you prefer) of air is the same volume as 3ccs of anything else. There may be more or less air space around granuels due to shape or size, could be liquid could be solid it dont matter it is still 3ccs

FWIW per Lee (via their dipper capacity charts)

1cc volume is equal to X grains weight for -

Real Black 4Fg 14.90gr
Real Black 3Fg 15.90gr
Real Black 2Fg 14.70gr
Real Black 1Fg 13.90gr
Pyrodex RS 12.30gr
Pyrodex P 12.10gr

BH209 isn't on the dipper chart with a handy 1cc reference, but per their other lookup 1gr of 209 is 0.1006cc, so just under 10gr per 1cc. For comparison, same chart lists Pyrodex RS as 0.0811cc/gr and Pyrodex P at 0.0823cc/gr. I'll leave the extra math up to the reader.

Measuring my powder by volume is the only method I've used for about the last 50 years or so. I suppose I consider myself more of a traditionalist, meaning in the way of the early frontiersmen.
I'm certainly no competition shooter, just a deer hunter. I'm not a bad shot either.
I'd like to pick up a scale one of these days, I'm quite sure I could find improvement in my marksmanship.
Not your marksmanship ,that's established however get a scale and see how good you really can be . Kind of eliminates another variable and the deer are just as dead just maybe a little quicker with a couple of Lanes tubes holding weighted charges in your traditional possibles bag . Possibilities are endless/Ed

A
The volume remains constant as the size of the hole you are filling with powder doesn’t change.

The density of the powder, due to shape size of the kernels pack more efficiently together, so 2f and 3f will weigh different with the same volume of powder.
And that is the reason target shooters weight charges ,once you know what works in that barrel you now know how to be consistent shot to shot powder by maker along with grade of powder gets optima consistency . That argument does not work , compaction can be manipulated (drop tube ) but not weight it is what comp shooters do and the deer appreciate accuracy too . The time it takes is meaningless ,accuracy is important no matter what your time period (current) /Ed

Back