Tipped Bullet Photo Array

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45cal said:
So are you George , cross the T's and dot the I's, :bored:

Like others have also stated, they have concerns too. I guess they need to cross the T's and dot the I's also.
Wish you'd read all of the posts Bob, maybe you could make heads or tails of it. I doubt it though...

BuckDoeHunter said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wOOAqOS99kc
The petals on the bullet in the video are bent back in a similar fashion to the tip-less 250 T-EZ bullet 50 gr capture, so I’m guessing the bullet has a similar speed, the video mentions a reduced load.
Thanks, I've seen that video - a while back.
They mention 100 yds, too bad they don't mention the fps.. If they started at 1900fps- this impact would be just under 1600fps.
We're looking for around 1250fps - Ron's test.
Thanks again for posting.

Threads like this are always interesting. On one side you have someone diligently testing different bullets in as identical as possible targets with an identical powder charge, and on the other you have individuals pointing out what could be wrong or should be changed with the test protocol without offering the results of their testing. Ron I love your tests. Great way to do a head to head comparison of different projectiles. Reminds me of a test David Petzal did a decade or so ago with his Ballistic Buffalo. Keep up the good work.

I have no personal testing to present, but can offer my personal experiences with bullet performance. Do not have a count or estimate of the head count, but confident it is nowhere near the number others have claimed. Ok, on to my observations. The bullet failures I have seen have all been at the other end of the velocity spectrum. I have had different Barnes bullets not perform up to expectations because of supplied sabot failure, mostly when shooting SML, but have also seen failure with hot BH 209 charges - 200 grain Barnes with supplied sabot failure attributed to lack of a proper radius on base of bullet, had sabot failures with both SML and BH 209. Seemed to be more prevalent in below freezing temperatures. 290 grain boat tailed Barnes were also a big disappointment. Had success for a number of years. Then suddenly, had sabot failure as I started to use a new lot. Called Barnes and told I was pushing the bullets too hard with my SML. Retired the 290 grain Barnes as a hunting bullet.

300 grain SSTs were a real disappointment above 2000fps MV. Literally exploded in shoulder of deer. Based on actual field experience, now consider this a low velocity or varmint bullet.

Changed to 45 caliber SML and full size forming of bullets. Barnes copper as sold are just too hard to knurl and form. Requires annealing (700F for about an hour) before successful knurling and forming. Boat tail type also require felt or veggie wad for accuracy.

My search for the perfect bullet continues. I am not complaining or looking for sympathy, just stating observations from personnel experience. Currently using a 250 grain hollow point 4570 bullet (more a flying ashtray than hollow point). Ok accuracy, but performs well without punishing the shooter as much as 300 grainers. Requires annealing, but no knurling before full forming (this is a 458 vs 452 bullet). So far, it is 6 and 0 on animals.

Ron, keep up your testing.

Here regulation dictates iron sights, or 1X scope. Our needs are mostly for bullets that work out to 150 yard or less. My bullet failures number only two, and both punched nice little holes through the lungs, and both deer were able to run a long long way before expiring. These experience led me to using bullets that work at slower speeds. Examining captured bullets is quite fun, but more importantly, helps me; hopefully others, pick bullets to try hunting.
Good luck with your bullet search, and thank you for your support.

I'm with Mr. Tom, I like an will continue to use 300gr .452 XTP's. I also prefer big BullShop conicals in my Whites. When I find something that works why change it!

I do admire all of you all for having the time to shoot and test multiple bullets. I'm retired an still don't seem to have time, especially this year, maybe when it cools down...

Boomer said:
Changed to 45 caliber SML and full size forming of bullets. Barnes copper as sold are just too hard to knurl and form. Requires annealing (700F for about an hour) before successful knurling and forming.

Which Barnes are you using? Barnes TEZs are somewhat soft and, for me, knurl easy and FF even easier. They are more like .4505 and my FF Brux die barely leaves rifling marks on the bullet, just enough to see and insert into the barrel.

It has been a few years since I tried the Barnes bullets I referred to. Blue tip, boat tail, yellow sabot , 290 grain was one. The other was a 250 grain hollow point that also came with a yellow sabot. Believe the 250 grain bullet was called a Spitfire. Problem was sabots breaking up around the base of the boat tail. Barnes told me it was my fault, load was too hot. Tried to knurl and full form to salvage bullets for use in a 45 RemPac, but could only knurl diameter up after annealing. Required over powder wad after annealing, knurling and full forming for accuracy. Possibily because of boattail.

Another issue with Barnes had to do with a number of lots of 40 caliber bullets (for use with a sabot in a 45 caliber rifle). These failed miserably in my 45 caliber SML. Tried in a LRH GreenMountain barrel on a TC platform and experienced failure there. Issue as I understood it it was a radius change on the base of the bullet for a number of lots.....

Not debating anything here, just stating what I had to do to get bullets to work in my applications. As an FYI, I prefer to bring the .452 bullets up to .458 minimum before knurling. Want a good 360 degree seal in the barrel. May or may not be relevant, but what I prefer.

Pretty much off topic from OP. Ron was comparing results at low velocity. I just stated I had failures for different reasons at higher velocities and had moved on.

I hesitated to mention this as I though it might be a fluke, but I had one pencil at about 20 yards with a 140 grain load of BH. I use the same 250 grain bullet with success 8 or 9 times before that on deer and bear, I really don't understand why a bullet would work well one time and not another.
I always regarded Barnes as a good bullet but a bit pricy.

Years back when my daughters were very young 8 to 9 . I had guns sighted in with 1, 50 grain 777 pellet . We killed deer but had trouble with all bullets penciling through. Including solid lead . I even tried the hated Powerbelts they also penciled through. The only bullet I could get to work was a 200 grain Barnes XPB pistol bullet. Basically a Barnes expander but lighter weight and yes it did have a big hollow point.

I think these test are awsome. Although I think the average hunter (probably 90 percent or more) shoot their game less than 100 yards. At that distance pretty much all of the bullets pass . Guys are getting all up in the air over their favorite bullet not passing. No worries most of the time your good unless shooting over 200 yards . Think back how many deer you have shot over 200 yards. I would like to think I am a decent long range shooter. I honestly have only shot 1 deer over 100 yards with a muzzleloader. My point is to relax and not get all up in the air if your bullet does not pass.

Ron has been consistant with his test whether you agree or disagree how the test are conducted . I sometimes question how the test are conductedthe but until I go out and do some sort of testing myself I can not dispute Ron's results. Ron is doing a excellent task for this board . Thank you again for your time Ron and keep up the good work !

Latest posts

Back