Triple Seven

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is your favorite recipe, for cleaning between shots, to remove the crud ring from using Triple 7. And why you think it works the best. Competition shooters, recreational shooters, or anyone with a good idea.

Thanks,

What is your favorite recipe, for cleaning between shots, to remove the crud ring from using Triple 7. And why you think it works the best. Competition shooters, recreational shooters, or anyone with a good idea.

Thanks,
I've found that a cpl passes with a bore brush between shots keeps the crud rung from building up with T7.
No cleaning patches are necessary until the final cleaning at the end of the session.

Having shot up to 5 cases a year of T7 through a BP Xpress and at 180grs, the best I've used for swabbing between rounds and cleaning, is Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. A single lightly damp patch in and out both sides. I tried all the other concoctions and without question, Butch's works the best.

T7 is very corrosive, so keep the rifle clean.

I could clean the BP Xpress after 20 rounds with just 4 patches.............. spotless clean.

Hornady One-Shot ML cleaner works pretty well for me. One damp patch between shots, run up and down with 6 inch strokes where the crud ring forms, completely removes it for me.

I hope to start testing for myself here soon, but searching the forums, there are several recipes for "moose milk" or "moose juice". I'm going to start with Windex and the CVA general solvent, since that's what I have at the moment, and if those don't work, I'll get more creative from there.

Have used just about every black powder solvent available to dampen patches before shoving them down the barrel to the crud ring. Also have tried a few different home concoctions. They all work.

A few passes on both sides with a dampened patch, and the crud ring is removed and one can reload with ease.

I use one patch treated with Windex, swabbed one on each side, then one patch with 100% isopropyl alcohol, swabbed once on each side, then repeat with one dry patch, swabbed twice. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back