Venison Spiedie Recipe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's how I've bern enjoying my venison lately.
I trim all fat, silverskin etc off the meat and cut into 1" cubes.sprinkle with Johnny's Seasoning salt.
Chop a couple slices of sweet onion and sautee in oil until opaque then add meat and brown on all sides. Add a small can of mushrooms (drained) and 2 tbs of soy sauce.
Simmer for 5 mins. Serve over rice or baked potato. A side of asparagus adds a nice touch.

I’ve been buying the Spiedies State Fair marinade in the grocery store for quite a while, it’s nothing like Zesty Italian dressing but they’re both good. I’m going to give this recipe a try and see where it fits in. Thanks!

Like i said, Italian dressing. When i was young i worked at one of the "mob owned" high class places in town. I ate so much of that stuff as a teen. I can tell just by the ingredient list that 3/4th of it is just plain "vinaigrette". :D
81U2RAUaUeL._SL1500_.jpg

BTW you can reduce the marinade time a great deal by using tenderizing enzymes found in fresh pineapple juice called Bromelain. Just dont let it marinate too long.

Be careful using GOOD EVO because it burns easily. Use much cheaper LIGHT olive oil. Save the good stuff for your pasta, salads and sauces

I find that the olive oil is the best. I also find that it gets hard in the fridge. I take the spiedies out and put them on the counter for a couple hours a day. This lets olive oil return to liquid and then i mix them well, and return to fridge.

IIRC we rolled ours in a mix of bread crumbs and parm after the marinade. Then cooked them on skewers. I use the same "dressing" on lamb chops. Its the only way i can stand them :D

That Spiedies recipe sounds really good. Thanks for sharing.

Tina has learned to cook elk and deer roasts in her pressure cooker, and even shank roasts come out so tender and moist that they just literally fall apart. If the animal is a little strong, (like the mulie buck I killed behind our house towards the end of the rut last year), she uses a spice mixture called "Herbs de Provence" in the liquid, which seems to neutralize the gamey taste.

Our 2024 New Year's Day dinner was a roast from the cow elk I killed in October. The meat from that elk is mild as can be, so she just added onions, salt, bay leaves, red wine, and a little garlic. When the roast was done, I turned the remaining liquid into gravy. We ate the roast and gravy over buttered egg noodles and green peas. I would not have been disappointed if I'd paid $100 per person for that dinner.

I have standing orders to bring home more elk and deer, and to turn much more of the meat into roasts!

I live in VT about 20 minutes from NY but the only reason I know about spiedies is that my parents have a friend who grew up in Spencer, which I think is just outside of Binghamton, and he used to make them for us when my brothers and I were young.

Back