Weighed vs Measured powder load observation:

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarcher

NRA and NAA Life member
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have one of those brass volumetric measures with a swivel funnel on it... It has scale on it 1-9 then 100, 110, 120. I decided to see what my 80 grain weighed charges would come to on this. It turns out, my "weighed" 80 grain charge fills the brass do-hicky up to close to the "9" mark... (I use a rcbs 10/10 scale to weigh my charges). The thing to know is not to be switching between the 2 once you have your load figured out!

However you look at it, my understanding is "volume" is one measurement and "weight' is another measurement. Volume of one substance usually doesn't weigh the same as another substance. F'rinstance lead vs rice crispies, steel vs. aluminum, Fg vs FFFFg.
And yes I agree, "The thing to know is not to be switching between the 2 once you have your load figured out!"

A lot of this depends on the powder used.....real black vs T7 for instance.. If one wants to weigh their charges, pour 10 charges using the brass volumetric unit, then weigh each one using a scale. Add the ten weights together and divide by ten to get your average and use the average for your weighed weight.

Personally I think weighing is moot with true black and pyrodex and perhaps even T7 granular products due to their inconsistent granules. I use BH209 and the granules are very consistent with zero fines so weighing is very accurate as opposed to using a volume measure. Consistency between loads using the volume measure relies a lot on how well one duplicates pouring each charge....tapping down the powder etc.

For hunting at usual hunting distances I think pouring the volume charge in a measure is sufficient. Long range hunting and target works calls for the utmost in consistency so weighing rules in these arenas. I weigh my BH209 simply because I have the equipment and time and like the control over my loads.

Last edited:
I have one of those brass volumetric measures with a swivel funnel on it... It has scale on it 1-9 then 100, 110, 120. I decided to see what my 80 grain weighed charges would come to on this. It turns out, my "weighed" 80 grain charge fills the brass do-hicky up to close to the "9" mark... (I use a rcbs 10/10 scale to weigh my charges). The thing to know is not to be switching between the 2 once you have your load figured out!
I've read a lot on this subject in the last cpl yrs. From what I gather is that for ppl hunting that build their loads volumetrically from the beginning, as long as their loads are volumetrically identical, you're fine. The whole precision weighing every charge came from competition shooters, for competition long-range precision shooting. I was FB messaging with someone new to muzzleloading & was concerned about this subject. I suggested to get an adj vol measuring tool, weigh out his desired charge, then dump it into his adj vol tool & set it to that. DONE. Then one can only carry one powder container & one measuring tool & be quick, efficient & be about as accurate as weighing.

I shoot competition and I weigh. Mass is mass when acted upon by gravity meaning I will always have the same amount of powder. The concept is having a dollar made of dimes or quarters, either way, it's a dollar. What changes with granule size is burn rate. Volumetric is subject to variation especially when fines and lot is brought into the picture.

A lot of this depends on the powder used.....real black vs T7 for instance.. If one wants to weigh their charges, pour 10 charges using the brass volumetric unit, then weigh each one using a scale. Add the ten weights together and divide by ten to get your average and use the average for your weighed weight.

Personally I think weighing is moot with true black and pyrodex and perhaps even T7 granular products due to their inconsistent granules. I use BH209 and the granules are very consistent with zero fines so weighing is very accurate as opposed to using a volume measure. Consistency between loads using the volume measure relies a lot on how well one duplicates pouring each charge....tapping down the powder etc.

For hunting at usual hunting distances I think pouring the volume charge in a measure is sufficient. Long range hunting and target works calls for the utmost in consistency so weighing rules in these arenas. I weigh my BH209 simply because I have the equipment and time and like the control over my loads.

Incidentally, i just did this out of curiosity and only tested my new lot of goex 3f., which finally came in stock the end of april.. This finally allowed me to test my t/c renegade. 54 cal... which gave excellent grouping with the "no excuses" bullets. I have saved up a bunch of diabetes test strip bottles which make excellent "charge containers". weighing is my preferred method for max consistency for accuracy testing. . Not having a "flask" it is also the easiest method for me to prep several loads for use at the range. (my back yard!) When one "weighs" charges, the grain consistency is eliminated as a variable. (Though with a side lock, small volumetric variations are irrelevent in the scheme of things) I was really happy just to be able to burn some powder again!

When I'm doing load development, I premeasure a number of charges and keep them in little plastic vials I found on amazon. Each charge is weighed to less than .1g. When you're after accuracy, every variable that you can control should be.

Here's the result from my Parker Hale musket
parkerhalegroup2.jpg

And from my 1863 Sharps. The Sharps is a paper cartridge gun but I weighed each and every powder charge going into the paper tubes. Gun is a IAB 1863 Sharps carbine with Larry Flees breech mod, target sights, Hahn paper tubes.
sharpsgroup1.jpg

I weigh my charges to the 1/10th of a Grain, Be it Target or Hunting. It takes me no longer to weigh out a Perfect Charge than it does to use a Volume measure that is designed to get ”Close Enough“ for Field use. I am not a Fan of “Close enough” which is what a Volume measure is.

Anyone that might dispute the above? Try ANY Of these Shoots with your “Close Enough“ Volume Measure and let me know how it works out for ya?

1,200 Yards .50 Cal

1,200 Yards .45 Cal

750 Yards .50 Cal

825 Yards .45 Cal

600 Yards .45 Cal

I weigh my charges to the 1/10th of a Grain, Be it Target or Hunting. It takes me no longer to weigh out a Perfect Charge than it does to use a Volume measure that is designed to get ”Close Enough“ for Field use. I am not a Fan of “Close enough” which is what a Volume measure is.

Anyone that might dispute the above? Try ANY Of these Shoots with your “Close Enough“ Volume Measure and let me know how it works out for ya?

1,200 Yards .50 Cal

1,200 Yards .45 Cal

750 Yards .50 Cal

825 Yards .45 Cal

600 Yards .45 Cal

You hit nail on the head Lewis

1,200 Yards .50 Cal

1,200 Yards .45 Cal

750 Yards .50 Cal

825 Yards .45 Cal

600 Yards .45 Cal

This guy doesn't know what he's on about 😉

I will most definitely be weighing mine going forward. Especially with the Missouri river. Your videos are testament to the method.

Although I have been meaning to ask you if you think it's still worthwhile for my round ball shooter if I'm staying under 100 yards?

This guy doesn't know what he's on about 😉

I will most definitely be weighing mine going forward. Especially with the Missouri river. Your videos are testament to the method.

Although I have been meaning to ask you if you think it's still worthwhile for my round ball shooter if I'm staying under 100 yards?

With your Roundball Rifle I would try both ways, I weigh my charges with my Roundball Barrels just the same, I am so use to doing it. Once I know the Load for my Rifles, With weighed charges in Vials, I can Simply Load, Not only are my Charges perfect, They are also faster, I don’t have to fiddle around out in the Field with a Can of Powder, and a Rinky Dink Volume measure, My charges are already Done and Ready to Load :lewis: This method is also known as a “Sore peter deal” you can’t beat it :D

However you look at it, my understanding is "volume" is one measurement and "weight' is another measurement. Volume of one substance usually doesn't weigh the same as another substance. F'rinstance lead vs rice crispies, steel vs. aluminum, Fg vs FFFFg.
And yes I agree, "The thing to know is not to be switching between the 2 once you have your load figured out!"
Incidentally, i just did this out of curiosity and only tested my new lot of goex 3f., which finally came in stock the end of april.. This finally allowed me to test my t/c renegade. 54 cal... which gave excellent grouping with the "no excuses" bullets. I have saved up a bunch of diabetes test strip bottles which make excellent "charge containers". weighing is my preferred method for max consistency for accuracy testing. . Not having a "flask" it is also the easiest method for me to prep several loads for use at the range. (my back yard!) When one "weighs" charges, the grain consistency is eliminated as a variable. (Though with a side lock, small volumetric variations are irrelevent in the scheme of things) I was really happy just to be able to burn some powder again!

Shooters have been doing it for over a hundred years using the exact same kind of sights that Idaholewis does. A long range vernier tang sight in the rear, and a globe front sight with interchangeable inserts. Check out Montana Vintage Arms, Lee Shavers, & Buffalo Arms Company websites for example.

Back