Weighing out Blackhorn 209 powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pop Pop

Reaction score
I zeroed out my scale, its level. I set scale to 106 grains. Carefully filled pan til needle stopped dead on pointer. Next I dumped powder from pan to clear speed loader. I noticed that powder was above 140 on speed loader ( speed loader has gr measure marks ). So I am wondering if these marks are for volume and weighing out is more ?? I am confused. I don't want to have a super charge in my gun. Any thoughts or tips??

Yes I won't, but I thought that there was such a difference in making and what I weighed out. I weighed out 106 grs, and when dumped in tube it was over 140 grs. Which is the highest it reads up to.

Be very careful. You seem to be confused. One grain by volume =.7 grns by weight.The biggest charge for black horn in a conventional muzzy is 83 weighed grns equaling 120 volume grns. I will politely disagree that bh should be volume measured. Weight measurement compinsates for differences in particle size from lot to lot.Smaller size particles packing tighter than larger size particles. Although I haven't tested velocities with different weighed particle sizes I'd be willing to bet that velocities would pretty much remain constant regardless of particle size.

In my opinion you are doing it backwards. Volume measure your preferred charge first and then weigh. Volume is more important than weight and keeps you from exceeding max load volume because weight is inconsistent from lot to lot.
Weight measurement cannot be different from lot to lot. What is different is particle size. If you weigh out 70grns of two different particle sizes then the larger size particles would show greater volume.

You still need to consider the density of each particle. In lots where the particle density weighs more, the weight to volume comparison gets tossed off if a person assumes that the particles from lot to lot weigh the same. They don't. That's why a 100 grain by volume may be 70 grains by weight in one lot and 76 in another.

Last edited:
Weight measurement cannot be different from lot to lot. What is different is particle size. If you weigh out 70grns of two different particle sizes then the larger size particles would show greater volume.
It has been proven time and time again on this forum that BH weight varies from lot to lot as MrTom has so eloquently explained. Your stated 83gr/w does not always equal 120gr/v.

If one drops BH by volume only then all is good and there is no need to do anything more. If you choose to weigh then you should drop your preferred volume and weigh it. Drop 10 and take the average weight if you prefer. Then set your dispenser to that weight. Absent outside influences volume will always be the same.

It has been proven time and time again on this forum that BH weight varies from lot to lot as MrTom has so eloquently explained. Your stated 83gr/w does not always equal 120gr/v.

If one drops BH by volume only then all is good and there is no need to do anything more. If you choose to weigh then you should drop your preferred volume and weigh it. Drop 10 and take the average weight if you prefer. Then set your dispenser to that weight. Absent outside influences volume will always be the same.
Of course the weight will vary. That's because you could be measuring by volume different particle sizes.If you weigh different particle sizes the smaller particle size will of course show less volume because it will pack tighter. But in fact there both the same. To each his own.If you measure just volume between smaller and larger particles then the smaller particle size would actually end up as more powder.

You still need to consider the density of each particle. In lots where the particle density weighs more, the weight to volume comparison gets tossed off if a person assumes that the particles from lot to lot weigh the same. They don't. That's why a 100 grain by volume weight may be 70 grains in one lot and 76 in another.
I think you unknowingly proved my point.

I'm pretty sure particle size remains very much the same from lot to lot as that is controlled. It's the differences in lots of chemical components from suppliers when added together to form the finished product where you get the difference in lot to lot weight variance for equal volume measurements.

I'm pretty sure particle size remains very much the same from lot to lot as that is controlled. It's the differences in lots of chemical components from suppliers when added together to form the finished product where you get the difference in lot to lot weight variance for equal volume measurements.
Shows over folks. Don't forget to tip the bartender and the waitresses!

Back