What powder???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i have no smokeless powder and would like to only try two initially it seems N120 should be one and the other 4198 . i read here one of the 4198 is more dependable in very low temps , which is it ? should i stick to one smokeless powder initially ? if so which one ?

if i have no smokeless powder and would like to only try two initially it seems N120 should be one and the other 4198 . i read here one of the 4198 is more dependable in very low temps , which is it ? should i stick to one smokeless powder initially ? if so which one ?
I think those are two good choices in my experience. IMR 4198, if I recall correctly, is said to be less temp stable than H4198. But good luck finding any H.

What I am finding out Jeff is there is a difference between loads used with sabots and those being used with bullets to bore. I'm sticking with sabots in the Patriot since I won't be distance shooting and won't be plopping anything heavier than 225 grains at deer. I think you've mentioned going the bullet to bore route so I'd be asking questions about powder and loads specific to that style of shooting.

i've got a brux patriot on order . sabot loads will be first on the list through next hunting season so the N120 will be first and i'll get some H4198 next fall or spring . i didn't know til after i placed my order my order with mark that we can use smokeless powder during ML season here .

this forum has the best enablers :)

BTW , what is the shelf life of N120 and H4198 if it's kept tightly closed between weighing and filling vials/tubes ?

Latest posts

Back