What would you do? (Rem. 700 BDL 270 Win)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugbuk

Reaction score
If you have Rem 700 BDL 270Win and want to build a new gun.
What would you do?
Caliber? (Not 270Win)
Options? (barrel, stock etc)
Why?

I would have the action trued and polished and I'd screw a 25" Lilja or Hart barrel into it with a .35 Whelan chambering 1:12 twist please... maybe 1:14. I'd agonize over which way to stock it... synthetic or laminate.
You're asking why??? I say why not!!

Jimmy, I knew you will say .35 Whelan. :lol:
I 'm thinking 25-06 or any other long range shooter.
Rifleman, what do you think?

Rebarrel with .300 RUM - ( if it were a short action I would try the .325 wsm )

Re-stock it with an HS precision stock with a black over tan.

I would also add a riflebasix trigger. 2#

Doohan said:
Rebarrel with .300 RUM - ( if it were a short action I would try the .325 wsm )

Re-stock it with an HS precision stock with a black over tan.

I would also add a riflebasix trigger. 2#
Will it fit the action? Isn't bolt face too small for that?

I dont really know Nug..

if it was that much trouble I would just trade it in on another steyr!

Doohan said:
if it was that much trouble I would just trade it in on another steyr!
I like that idea, but I already have 270Win Steyr. :shock:

Here's what I'd do. I'd send it to Mike Bryant at www.bryantcustom.com and let me make it up for you. Ain't no doubt about the caliber and that's .300 Winchester Mag. Kinda old fashioned, I know. Lot's of old fashioned stuff here...old fashioned best brass made readily available from Norma, Lapua, and Nosler...pages and PAGES of old fashioned reloading data....I still don't know of a more accurate .30cal mag...Lot's of old fashioned know how on building the rifle too...Mike can probably do it with his eyes closed!

1. Your 700 action trued..
2. Bolt replaced..
3. 26 inch Krieger or Hart barrel chambered in .300 Winchester Mag.
4. Mcmillan "Remington Classic" stock, pillar bedded, in either desert or sand camo finish.
5. Option..teflon finish on entire action/barrel.
It would be a great rifle!

That's probably what I'd do if I were you!

I think you have your answer Nug!

Isnt this the same guy who did your 6br Chuck? :shock: :lol:

nugbuk said:
If you have Rem 700 BDL 270Win and want to build a new gun.
What would you do?
Caliber? (Not 270Win)
Options? (barrel, stock etc)
Why?

Send it to SMI to make it into a Smokeless Muzzleloader (if possible). Then of course I'd have to put a good stock on it. If it wasn't possible to make it into a muzzleloader I'd sell it. I just don't have much interest in non ML rifles. They're not legal for anything but varmints in this state.

I like your answer Chuck! I told him his next sensible rifle would be a .30 cal. magnum. I told him to go with a Weatherby though!

Isnt this the same guy who did your 6br Chuck?

Sure is!

I like your answer Chuck! I told him his next sensible rifle would be a .30 cal. magnum. I told him to go with a Weatherby though!

I really wasn't sure the Weatherby .300 would fit Nugs action. Not really that much difference either way as far as performance goes. I was also thinking 7mm STW but it's the same length as the Weatherby and like you said...he needs a .30. 8)

I know everyone wants a special rifle (including me) however a Remington 700 can shoot sub moa (not all of them) now you can take and spend a thousand bucks and end up with a sub moa rifle or maybe not.
Now if your 700 doesn't shoot then its another story. A 270 is a boring caliber, imo of course.
Ken

Redclub said:
I know everyone wants a special rifle (including me) however a Remington 700 can shoot sub moa (not all of them) now you can take and spend a thousand bucks and end up with a sub moa rifle or maybe not.
Now if your 700 doesn't shoot then its another story. A 270 is a boring caliber, imo of course.
Ken
Ken,
It's my second 270Win rifle and I want something different.

Chuck,
What do you think about LOTHAR WALTER barrels?

Hey Nug..
Well..It's really not what I think about them.. I just checked the equipment list of the top centerfire benchrest shooters in the USA...not one is using a Lother Walther barrel..and you can believe if they thought it was a better barrel...they'd USE it! Far and away the favorite barrel maker is Hart, by a good margin. The second most used is Kreiger. These two are THE most used brands. Way down in popularity but still the number three is Lilja and then Shilen. So if top notch accuracy is a primary concern..I personally want a Hart or Kreiger! I DO have rifles with Douglas, Hart, and Kreiger barrels though.. On a lightweight sporter probably not that big of a deal probably. For the money..it's really hard to beat a Douglas.

Back