1:24 Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointman

Reaction score
Do all Savages have the 1 in 24 inch twist? Midsouth advertises one at that rate but does not list twist on the others.

Does this fast twist have affect on accuracy of lighter bullets? 200 grains.

Thinking of getting my first Smokeless in the Camo stock in SS.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

They all have 24" twist. I prefer the 36 twist of the SMI which is plenty fast to stabilize the 250g bullets and just fast enough for the 300SST/Barnes X FB. In muzzle loading, due to sabot limitations, I prefer the twist about as close to the minimum required as opposed to fast enough to shoot even very heavy, long bullets that I don't plan to shoot. If I had my preference, I would want the Savage to have a 32" twist - but they haven't asked me. In spite of all I've said, the Savage will shoot the 250g and 300G bullets at sub-MOA, at good velocities very consistently. In the Savage price range, I know of only 2 choices: the well proven Savage, and the well proven SMI which costs $325 for a barrel which will fit on the NEF or H&R frame. Each have their strong points: I prefer the SMI. In summary, don't let the 24 twist of the Savage deter you from purchasing it. There have been mixed results of shooting the 200SST in the Sav but it shoots great in the SMI(42gs VV-110 and stock sabots). These are just my opinions and observations. I'm sure there will be others.

I have an Encore and have looked at SMI's website. They reference Encores but do not list any barrels for sale. Do they make a barrel for the Encore?

Thanks

Its my understanding that they will and have done so. If you are interested in primarily shooting 200g bullets, which I assume is the 200SST/SW, I'd seriously consider a 45 cal barrel. If you want flexibility to shoot both 40 and 45 cal bullets then the std barrel has proven its capability to do so. I expect that the 45 barrel would be slightly better than the 50. Indiana Hunter has had MOA or better accuracy with the 200ST/42 VV-110 and Savagebrother has has success with a SMI 45 on a Ruger#1 with the 200SW at a somewhat higher velocity. If I had an Encore, already, the decision would be a simple one for me if I didn't need the frame in use with another barrel at the same time.

pointman said:
Do all Savages have the 1 in 24 inch twist?

Does this fast twist have affect on accuracy of lighter bullets? 200 grains.

1) Yes.

2) A 1:24 twist will stabilize heavier bullets at moderate velocities where a slower rate of twist cannot. The 200 gr. SST actually requires slightly more twist than a 250 SST, as it is .40 cal. vs. 45.

I'll try to let this be my final post. Some of us like to investigate new loads, rifles, etc while others just want to hunt and have a very good gun. In that regard, the Savage certainly has well proven loads that shoot well in cold and warm temps and are very accurate. If hunting is the primary objective and that's it, getting a SS/camo'd Sav, and shooting 42g VV-110 or 43g 4759,250SST or 60g VV-120 and 300SST or 300Barnes X FB or original will do the job as well as it can be done IMO. I expect, but haven't proven to myself, that the SMI can be as consistent also: possibly with the same loads.

pointman said:
Do all Savages have the 1 in 24 inch twist?

I realize that staying on topic is an extreme :shock: rarity, so I'll answer the Savage 10ML-II directed question in more detail.

Work on what is now the 10ML series of smokless muzzleloaders began some 16 years ago, testing a wide variety of twist rates. To this day, Henry Ball uses a 1:18 when shooting sans sabots in his .45 custom guns.

A little over six years ago, the "finalists" for the selected twist rates were evaluated by Henry Ball, then Savage Eng. head Stu Bauer, and Savage CEO Ron Coburn. The rate of potential twist rates that could accurately shoot the widesr variety of saboted muzzleloading projectiles in the Savage were 1:22, 1:24, 1:26, and 1:28.

After the testing of all four with a wide variety of combinations, followed by extensive deliberations by the three main decision-makers, 1:24 was chosen for one primary reason-- it accurately shot more saboted bullet combinations than 1:22, 1:26, or 1:28 could. 1:22 was too rough on sabots, and there were 300 grain spire points saboted bullets that 1:26 and 1:28 could not handle, even at 2000 fps.

With that, the expensive carbide buttons were engineered and ordered, and the 10ML was introduced with a 1:24-- it has never varied from day one, nor is it ever likely to change.

RandyWakeman said:
there were 300 grain spire points saboted bullets that 1:26 and 1:28 could not handle, even at 2000 fps.
Were the 300g spire points .452 cal or lesser such as .40? Seems like a fairly long bullet @ 2200+'/sec would stabilize in a 26". Whatever, the 24 does work very well and a company as accuracy minded as Savage would very carefully and thoughtfully select its twist.

Back