1/8" wool felt powder wads for .50 cal............

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just center them and start them with my thumb, push them down on the powder charge with the loading road and then load the bullet. Easier to do than it is to describe. Unless you’re loading. .45 wads into .40 rifles. I do it all the time but it’s a bit trickier.

Thanks for the information. I want to go to the range tomorrow and try out some more projectiles. I did not purchase any wool wads yet but I do have some that's on some TC break away bullets. So that might just work until I can get some actual wads. They are bore diameter but I will give them a try anyway.

I have read on here about using 1/8" wool felt powder wads between the powder and Maxi Balls that I shoot out of my .50 New Englander. Additional research shows a substantial increase in 100 yard accuracy. My accuracy is pretty darn good but an increase in accuracy is always welcome. So my questions are is, are those to be used dry or lubricated. Also, where to purchase them?

Thank you in advance.
Dura Felt and buy bulk ,go to Harbor Freight for cheap hole punch set (mine was $15.00 and the set covers (a lot) of sizes , I use them dry as I hunt . For target it is whatever the gun likes , try both/Ed

Dura Felt and buy bulk ,go to Harbor Freight for cheap hole punch set (mine was $15.00 and the set covers (a lot) of sizes , I use them dry as I hunt . For target it is whatever the gun likes , try both/Ed

Where do I find this Dura Felt?

Also, why do you prefer dry wads over lubed wads for a hunting application?

I believe some feel it may contaminate the powder. I personally have only used Dry Wads, but I know a former member here posted a picture showing he squeezed a lubed wad and nothing squeezed out. I never had an issue with Dry Wads and don't want to take a chance of something going wrong to prevent my shot from going off. I have enough issues as to why I missed that buck and don't want to add another excuse. The one I use the most is the sun got in my eye. LOL

Google is your friend and dry because for hunting that load is either killing or waiting to , if I do not shoot my season goes for months (not days) . As long as I keep it outside it;/taped muzzle and my 209 primer (Mag spark) conversion it will last as long as I need! Any other questions PM me

Here's a link to where I bought mine. Duro-Felt Products
Have yet to punch any as I have not used up my dry wads from TOTW - Here's a link to there felt wad page. Felt wads for muzzle loading and black powder cartridges - Track of the Wolf
Flintlock, LLC sells them a couple of bucks cheaper but I have never tried them (yet) as I have no need to buy any for a couple or more years

How do you lube the wads? Do I use the modified nasa lube? Crisco? Dry?
If I do lube them, how do I keep from over saturating the felt?

I have always been afraid the lubed felt might somehow soak into the power and cause ignition issues. I also really like the veggie wads. They seem to work well. When shooting arrowhead bullets that’s what I use and when shooting 460 grn no excuse I use the dray felt wad.

Eager to see how the wool wads work in my ML. Still waiting for them to arrive.

Also, anyone know if those wads will work with patch and RB as well as with conicals?

Last edited:
Yes, you can use a felt wad under a patched ball. It acts as a firewall to keep the patch from burning through. X
The patches for PRB and conicals are dry. No lube. Is that correct?
I know some patches using bullet lube are near solid. They olny melt during the firing process. I know this exists, because I accidentally made some. (although, in truth, I haven't used them.)

I know some patches using bullet lube are near solid. They olny melt during the firing process. I know this exists, because I accidentally made some. (although, in truth, I haven't used them.)
No patches are definitely noy dry. All patches and wads should have a lube on them. I'm not so sure about the melting of the lube though. Especially with a conical bullet. If any melting would occur it would have to be by a bit of friction during the miliseconds from firing until it leaves the bore. My thinking is that at firing the bullet compresses slightly (obturation) which helps. If you're talking about the felt wad melting then you're not using 100% wool felt.
The best explanation I can find on bullet lube is that it serves 2 purposes. First is to slightly lubricate the bore and secondly and most important is to help form a gas seal to prevent escaping gases past the bullet.

Last edited:
A round ball patch is always lubed with the mixture of your choice. The over powder felt wad can be lubed or not. I shoot mine unlubed and they work just fine. X

Back